The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 February 2017, 08:07 PM   #1
Amd
"TRF" Member

Icon4 My concern about fp journe

As ive been reading more about the brand ive seen many people saying that the brand may not lost and may be sold to a conglomerate in the future. i want to know your guys' thought on this(fp journe not staying independent)
Amd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 08:18 PM   #2
tavv160
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, JLC...
I do not see being sold to a large conglomerate as an issue. Yes, independent watchmakers have a certain charm, but in the long term it is better for continuity to be part of a conglomerate. You will be certain that your watch can be serviced in the future.

For example, Lange is part of Richemont, and they have their own identity & innovation. To me they feel like an independent watchmaker, which actually they are not. But because of this you can be pretty sure they will still be around in 20 years and more.
Old 27 February 2017, 01:45 AM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Of course it's possible but nobody knows the future. They seem to have a strong following and I don't see them disappearing anytime soon.

Is there a particular reference you're interested in?
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 02:45 AM   #4
MrJ320
"TRF" Member

Watch: IG: @j.project
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavv160 View Post
I do not see being sold to a large conglomerate as an issue. Yes, independent watchmakers have a certain charm, but in the long term it is better for continuity to be part of a conglomerate. You will be certain that your watch can be serviced in the future.

For example, Lange is part of Richemont, and they have their own identity & innovation. To me they feel like an independent watchmaker, which actually they are not. But because of this you can be pretty sure they will still be around in 20 years and more.
I agree with this and also don't see being a part of a conglomerate is an issue. It's more important to see how the conglomerate treats the brand under their umbrella. I do think Richemont did a good job allowing Lange to stay pretty independent under their umbrella.

For me it's actually better to understand what Journe's longer term strategy is. It's one thing for an independent to manufacture watches based on more standard parts so that they can be serviced down the road by others. For something like Journe where some of the movements are quite complicated, with proprietary parts and tools (even things like screws), it'll be interesting how Journe will maintain serviceability of their watches in the long run.
MrJ320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 04:13 AM   #5
Amd
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys for your answers. I was just wondering is this how all independents end up (being bought by a conglomorate) because i dont see it happening to for example kari voutilainen, vianey halter, andreas strehler....
Amd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 04:31 AM   #6
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd View Post
Thank you guys for your answers. I was just wondering is this how all independents end up (being bought by a conglomorate) because i dont see it happening to for example kari voutilainen, vianey halter, andreas strehler....
The only certainty I have is that they not going to live forever....so what follows after them is anyone's guess.... There is quite a bit about Journe and what happens post his departure I.to. Access to watch details etc...we tend to forget that even Richard Mille is owned 20% by Swatch!!!
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 04:37 AM   #7
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
The only certainty I have is that they not going to live forever....so what follows after them is anyone's guess.... There is quite a bit about Journe and what happens post his departure I.to. Access to watch details etc...we tend to forget that even Richard Mille is owned 20% by Swatch!!!
May want to do some homework on a company you know nothing about before tossing out mis-statements. Fake news.

20% by AP.

RM & AP are private companies (just like Patek).

OP, buy what you like and enjoy.
texex91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 04:59 AM   #8
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
May want to do some homework on a company you know nothing about before tossing out mis-statements. Fake news.

20% by AP.

RM & AP are private companies (just like Patek).

OP, buy what you like and enjoy.
I was close...it was Richemont owning 20% of GF...and of course what could have been an informative correction of my error would have been just as helpful without being an ass
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 05:01 AM   #9
texex91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I was close...it was Richemont owning 20% of GF...and of course what could have been an informative correction of my error would have been just as helpful without being an ass
Well you weren't close and it was corrected. Always good to learn new things.
Old 27 February 2017, 05:42 AM   #10
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
When FPJ dies probably and hopefully as the movements are not simple ones, I am going even more niche with a Voutilainen scheduled in May, but his movements are so simple that any watchmaker can service them, doing it without scratches is another story, and reason why until he disappears Kari will service it. Anyways if you want a Journe I wouldn't let that bother you, independent or not his watches are special, if you like one get it
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 07:05 AM   #11
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

Karl- there have been many rumors of swatch buying RM. I'm sure that's where you had confusion.
Old 27 February 2017, 07:08 AM   #12
texex91
"TRF" Member

Old 27 February 2017, 10:51 AM   #13
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd View Post
As ive been reading more about the brand ive seen many people saying that the brand may not lost and may be sold to a conglomerate in the future. i want to know your guys' thought on this(fp journe not staying independent)
The people that say the brand will sold to a conglomerate are dumb.

That's the short answer.

The longer answer is that Mr. Journe has already been offered a buyout and has refused. He will never sell out. He is a smart person and he already has plans for the future of his company after his passing. Did you know he has his own watchmaking school? It's right at FPJ HQ. Guess why.
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 07:51 PM   #14
TG3N
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texex91 View Post
Well you weren't close and it was corrected. Always good to learn new things.
Always good to be courteous as well.
TG3N is offline   Reply With Quote