The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 July 2021, 07:09 AM   #31
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoninDenver View Post
Aahh!!! The notoriously crappy Toyota seats. I had the same problem in my old Toyota pickup as well as my wife’s Limited 4runner. It was the reason we sold the 4-runner.

A friend discovered these seat risers for his GX and Tacoma and they actually make a huge difference by raising the seat position enough so that your legs are not as stretched out in front of you (which is what caused my low back pain).

It might be worth a try if you or your wife would otherwise want to keep the GX.

https://desertdoesit.com/products/fr...-2009-4runners

I will try these for sure

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 07:10 AM   #32
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post
Have the leather HSE seats etc. They are okay. I also have lower back issues. Surgeries and still issues. Defender is not bad but not great. Range rover seats are 100x better and more supportive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They did seem nicer but I’m not sure I want to pay 50k more than the defender

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 07:12 AM   #33
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Come on you’ve been here long enough you know getting a straight answer is not gonna happen!! But good thread! I love the subforum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Me: “Dear group, is the sky up or down?”

Group: “Define sky…..”

Me: “F&@k

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 07:13 AM   #34
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Seriously though, thanks for all of the thoughts and opinions thusfar. Keep em comin.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 08:35 AM   #35
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchitect View Post
The last body style not the current slightly softened one. Five door wagon of course. People would lose their minds if the sold cabriolets, etc in the states…..

Sent using Tapatalk
They do sort of now that 25 year old cars can be legally imported. There’s one about 5 miles from my house I see driving around with the whole family and top down regularly. There’s a second one somewhere here in town I’ve seen a time or two as well.
Old 11 July 2021, 09:31 AM   #36
logo
"TRF" Member

Tried the RR, RR sport and Defender. Have friends with the MB G wagon. I ended up putting a reservation deposit down for a Hummer EV instead. The thing looks like it’s going to be an absolute beast.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 09:46 AM   #37
airchitect
"TRF" Member

I think this is going to be a tough choice if those risers don’t fix my gx. But comfort and being awesomeness will probably be of greatest concern if it’s a lease.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 09:52 AM   #38
MDMH
"TRF" Member

I love the look of the truck. Although that random color coded panel in the rear window from a far looks like the pricing sticker from the lot was left on.... Not sure what the intent there was?
MDMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:11 AM   #39
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
I’ve had and driven a bunch of vehicles over the years and I still think that Volvo makes the best seats. Did you try an XC90? It’s no G wagon, but the 400hp hybrid can’t be too much of a pig.

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 11:15 AM   #40
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
I’ve had and driven a bunch of vehicles over the years and I still think that Volvo makes the best seats. Did you try an XC90? It’s no G wagon, but the 400hp hybrid can’t be too much of a pig.

I have and oddly I have a tough time getting comfortable in all of the Volvos I’ve driven. NTM that powertrain is just as questionable as the LR. Otherwise I love the design of them. They’re a damn fine looking vehicle.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 11 July 2021, 02:17 PM   #41
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLRIDES View Post
Car and Driver:

“ The Defender is also available with a 3.0-liter inline-six. Along with turbocharging, the upgraded engine utilizes an electric supercharger and 48-volt hybrid system.”

The Drive:

“ Powertrain: 3.0-liter twincharged (turbo+electric supercharger) mild-hybrid inline-six “

KBB Reviews:

“ As an X-Dynamic S model, the 2021 Defender 90 is powered by a mild hybrid powertrain featuring a turbocharged and electric supercharged 3.0-liter inline-6 that puts out 395 horsepower.”

Consumer Guide:

“ The new six is a supercharged and turbocharged 3.0-liter inline six paired with a 48-volt mild hybrid system.”

2:30 minutes in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJHG1V_LB6Q

etc, etc, etc, …………………..

Might wanna check your googler search engine thingy.
Thanks for this. Didn’t want to dig up all the details which was something I discovered when I was considering the vehicle.
It’s electric but still puzzling how an engine that’s supposed to be built for durability and extreme off-road use has a combination of three different systems.
I wouldn’t want to be caught in the Sahara with a unit that has over 100k miles on it, meanwhile I wouldn’t flinch at taking a ten year old Land Cruiser to cross from north to south of continents.

My 4Runner is a dinosaur with medium power and basic interior but it has an arsenal of off-road tools and nothing will break. I’ve learned to appreciate its simplicity, a lot.

But nothing tops a G Wagon it can off-road, fairly reliable, great interior and timeless.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 03:46 PM   #42
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Hmm never had any issues and my back is crooked as hell lol but fair enough.
Have to say I concur, but I’m not a tall person. Heard this is an issue more so for Tacos and even worse in Wranglers. I definitely noticed my knees were higher when testing a Rubicon. I took a round trip TX-NY in my 4R-Pro and it was awesome on the road. If I was forced to complain about something, it would just be lack of power, but that’s being really picky and only when at highway speeds.
Toyota’s like the 4Runner and LC are not for luxury seekers, amenities, power and great gas mileage, they’re for people who want a super cool reliable mall mobile or people who want a go anywhere durable last forever truck.

I’m in the minority of people who really appreciate simplicity and boring basic functions. Real buttons, analog gauges, no searching through menus to activate or use things. Had tech vehicles with huds, lux heat/cooled seats, all kinds of digital settings….I much prefer the get in and go interior of the 4Runner, real buttons for things are a must for me. But you have to appreciate that, if you like leather, settings and mix appeal, no Toyota will really do. Even the LX570 is pretty behind on interiors.

The Defender is the opposite, everything is controlled by menus and and screens. That can be a huge pita if you use those functions often.
Old 11 July 2021, 08:58 PM   #43
SearChart
TechXpert

I've seen a few of them around, nice looking car.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:06 PM   #44
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The wheels and tires on that G63 don't look like they'd survive a bad pothole, much less any off road activity. I am not up on them really, are they actually capable offroad vehicles if equipped for it or are they primarily blvd. cruisers?

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:20 PM   #45
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
The wheels and tires on that G63 don't look like they'd survive a bad pothole, much less any off road activity. I am not up on them really, are they actually capable offroad vehicles if equipped for it or are they primarily blvd. cruisers?

That was my point. It’s in a different class and belongs in a different conversation. I would never take it off-road. Not why I bought it. That’s what my raptor is for and pulls a trailer extremely well. And by the way has incredibly comfortably seats - just saying.
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2021, 10:30 PM   #46
mjm700
"TRF" Member

If you want to go off road, do it right. Defender would be a solid choice of off road is a significant consideration.

Old 11 July 2021, 11:51 PM   #47
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post

G Wagons equipped with proper wheels and tires are one of the most capable off roaders on the planet. It’s awd, with triple lockers. Obviously it isn’t some mudding rock hopper like a Wrangler but when it comes to overcoming complex terrain, snow, sand, steep ascents or mud, a G Wagon is not getting stuck. If it does, it’s 95% driver error. I feel very confident in saying the G Wagon is more off road worthy than the new Defender 110.
The new defender only has a rear locker and it isn’t standard and I believe it’s software based versus a true mechanical rear locking differential(iirc).
It’s off-road capabilities are all software based and actuated via the menus(horrible for off-roading). Still a great vehicle, reliability and build quality are its potential weakness, time will tell.

The configuration you usually see for Gs is often the same configuration for most other high end lux vehicles…..mall cruising and weekend duty. Same as any Aventador SVJ or Urus, most will never see a track just like most G Wagons won’t ever be taken in the back woods. G Wagons, LCs and the previous gen Defender have internationally recognized off-road prowess.
Blame the marketing or owners for its posh image, not the truck.
Old 11 July 2021, 11:55 PM   #48
El Patron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That was my point. It’s in a different class and belongs in a different conversation. I would never take it off-road. Not why I bought it. That’s what my raptor is for and pulls a trailer extremely well. And by the way has incredibly comfortably seats - just saying.

Did you pay over MSRP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
El Patron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2021, 12:24 AM   #49
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Patron View Post
Did you pay over MSRP?

No. Was one of the lucky few who had a good relationship with the dealer and got one of the first orders at MSRP.

If off-road is in the cards then a G550 seems like the better choice than a G63.

Old 14 November 2022, 12:13 PM   #50
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Bringing this thread back! For those with a Defender how’s the reliability been??? A-ok or like TFL’s experience??