The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 18 January 2018, 09:09 AM   #31
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Canada Goose makes a great product, but if you are skiing in a Canada Goose, you are not a skier. They make 1 shell. No other product they make is made for skiing.
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:22 AM   #32
kearez
"TRF" Member

Not to derail the thread but thinking of buying a Canada Goose Jacket. Seems the general consensus is that they are worth the money? Or should I be looking at another brand for warm but also could wear out to restaurant etc? I had a look a Moncler but too pricey for me.
kearez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:27 AM   #33
mtrunner
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126508 Paul Newman
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
Not to derail the thread but thinking of buying a Canada Goose Jacket. Seems the general consensus is that they are worth the money? Or should I be looking at another brand for warm but also could wear out to restaurant etc? I had a look a Moncler but too pricey for me.
I find them well worth it and warmest jackets I have ever owned. Moncler is on a whole other level price wise and my friend has one and didn't think it was that warm.
mtrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 09:32 AM   #34
mcorliss
"TRF" Member

Arc’teryx = Bullet Proof.

Have many of their garments and worth every penny IMHO.
mcorliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:00 AM   #35
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
I find them well worth it and warmest jackets I have ever owned. Moncler is on a whole other level price wise and my friend has one and didn't think it was that warm.
Thanks! I guess the next mission is finding one and in my size..
Old 18 January 2018, 03:11 PM   #36
sparksgmt
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
I bought an Alpha SV jacket several years ago on an offseason sales. Don't know if I would pay full price but its nearly indestructible.
sparksgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 03:52 PM   #37
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearez View Post
I think they are worth it to the point I have two. One a Bomber which is rated for less colder weather than the Parka I also own. However I consider both to be more appropriate for casual wear and own other more appropriate coats when wearing dress slacks or suits. I doubt however when it gets closer to 0 that anyone would blame or shame you if you chose to wear one of their Parkas with dress slacks. Some of them do look more industrial but those are for far below 0 and are better suited for northern Canada or the North Pole.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 05:06 PM   #38
kearez
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
I think they are worth it to the point I have two. One a Bomber which is rated for less colder weather than the Parka I also own. However I consider both to be more appropriate for casual wear and own other more appropriate coats when wearing dress slacks or suits. I doubt however when it gets closer to 0 that anyone would blame or shame you if you chose to wear one of their Parkas with dress slacks. Some of them do look more industrial but those are for far below 0 and are better suited for northern Canada or the North Pole.
Thanks for the input, I already own a Barbour Jacket, which i find fits well with my style, but was also looking for something a bit warmer. I think the chateau parka is what I’m going to go for.
Old 18 January 2018, 05:21 PM   #39
milov
"TRF" Member

I'm a biig fan of Arc'teryx. I use their gear for running, mountaineering, as well as casual wear. It usually stands up to the heavy abuse I tend to give my outdoor gear. I also have some Arc'teryx luggage that gets a lot of use.

Lately I've also been using a lot of Patagonia gear as well. I like their quality and ethical standards.
milov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2018, 11:52 PM   #40
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milov View Post
I'm a biig fan of Arc'teryx. I use their gear for running, mountaineering, as well as casual wear. It usually stands up to the heavy abuse I tend to give my outdoor gear. I also have some Arc'teryx luggage that gets a lot of use.

Lately I've also been using a lot of Patagonia gear as well. I like their quality and ethical standards.
I agree, while I favor Arcteryx products, I have a great deal of respect for the way Patagonia runs their business. I heard an interview with the founder and it's pretty cool the lengths they go to in order to make an excellent product with responsibly sourced raw materials in what sounds to be a great work environment.

Regarding "lifestyle" winter wear, I tried on some Canada Goose stuff when the thermometer bottomed out earlier this year. My wife ended up getting a CG parka that she loves, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. First, it's become a cold weather uniform, at least in Chicago. They are everywhere. Second, the fit was a bit bulky around the chest and waist for my taste, at least for the models in stock at the time. I ended up getting a Moose Knuckles 3Q and I love that thing. A little blatant with the branding, but it truly is warm enough in 0-10F with just a shirt on underneath. Canadian made, high quality down, great zipper construction, a bit more to my fashion taste compared to CG. I'm now a believer in the fur ruff around the hood. It's amazing that so much of my face can be exposed in the wind, yet my face stays warmer than when I'm bundled up with a cinched up shell hood on my Arcteryx. The Inuits know their cold weather gear!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 12:29 AM   #41
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
I agree, while I favor Arcteryx products, I have a great deal of respect for the way Patagonia runs their business. I heard an interview with the founder and it's pretty cool the lengths they go to in order to make an excellent product with responsibly sourced raw materials in what sounds to be a great work environment.

Regarding "lifestyle" winter wear, I tried on some Canada Goose stuff when the thermometer bottomed out earlier this year. My wife ended up getting a CG parka that she loves, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. First, it's become a cold weather uniform, at least in Chicago. They are everywhere. Second, the fit was a bit bulky around the chest and waist for my taste, at least for the models in stock at the time. I ended up getting a Moose Knuckles 3Q and I love that thing. A little blatant with the branding, but it truly is warm enough in 0-10F with just a shirt on underneath. Canadian made, high quality down, great zipper construction, a bit more to my fashion taste compared to CG. I'm now a believer in the fur ruff around the hood. It's amazing that so much of my face can be exposed in the wind, yet my face stays warmer than when I'm bundled up with a cinched up shell hood on my Arcteryx. The Inuits know their cold weather gear!
The biggest hit from what I read most places on Canada Goose is that they are everywhere and too common. Here where I live that's not even an issue. But the other thing I've also found is that no one can say bad things and in fact their quality is always praised. However from vague memory companies like Moose Knuckles have not been so well known for their quality. Also if memory serves their fur isn't real where Canada Goose is. Maybe things have changed but this is the way I remember it from my time doing research and comparing both brands. So for me if something is common because it's known to be good, isn't such a problem at least for me anyway.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 January 2018, 12:42 AM   #42
uscmatt99
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
The biggest hit from what I read most places on Canada Goose is that they are everywhere and too common. Here where I live that's not even an issue. But the other thing I've also found is that no one can say bad things and in fact their quality is always praised. However from vague memory companies like Moose Knuckles have not been so well known for their quality. Also if memory serves their fur isn't real where Canada Goose is. Maybe things have changed but this is the way I remember it from my time doing research and comparing both brands. So for me if something is common because it's known to be good, isn't such a problem at least for me anyway.
Canada Goose aren't too common where we live in Michigan, which is great, but the same can't be said in more metropolitan areas when the mercury drops. I was inspired to get my coat when my wife and I were out shopping, and we happened to be standing next to a guy and his girlfriend who was wearing one. Chatted him up while waiting for the light to change, and he told me the Saks had a good selection to try on, and off we went. I can't speak for the past, but they most definitely use real fur on their current lines, blue fox for the piece I got. I've got a pretty good eye for garment construction (rely on my wife for the style component), and I think the materials and construction are on par with Canada Goose, albeit different. It's great to have choice

By the way, every time I don a pair of Crockett and Jones I think of you. Still haven't gotten my pair of John Lobb oxfords, but someday!
uscmatt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2018, 12:57 AM   #43
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscmatt99 View Post
Canada Goose aren't too common where we live in Michigan, which is great, but the same can't be said in more metropolitan areas when the mercury drops. I was inspired to get my coat when my wife and I were out shopping, and we happened to be standing next to a guy and his girlfriend who was wearing one. Chatted him up while waiting for the light to change, and he told me the Saks had a good selection to try on, and off we went. I can't speak for the past, but they most definitely use real fur on their current lines, blue fox for the piece I got. I've got a pretty good eye for garment construction (rely on my wife for the style component), and I think the materials and construction are on par with Canada Goose, albeit different. It's great to have choice

By the way, every time I don a pair of Crockett and Jones I think of you. Still haven't gotten my pair of John Lobb oxfords, but someday!
All I’m going from is memory and what I’ve read. But your absolutely right, the more quality choices the better. I do have to admit the Moose Knuckles designs have more than once turned my head and they do appeal to me. However I do have a concern that they may not stand behind their product as good as Canada Goose supposedly does or did when I purchased my Canada Goose jacket.

Thank you and I take that as a huge compliment. You just can’t go wrong when choosing to go with a pair of shoes or boots made by someone in North Hampton and C&J in my opinion is top notch in my book. As much as you hear about Alden or AE here in America this just happens to be something the UK does just a bit better. If you ever do get a pair from JL I know you’ll really enjoy those as well. If you haven’t though you should give Edward Green and G&G a look as well.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 19 January 2018, 08:56 AM   #44
kearez
"TRF" Member

I do like that Canada Goose, stands behind there jackets. Anyways I should of added the jacket I was looking for was also “fashionable” as well. Thanks for your input gents, hopefully I can find one here soon as they are sold out everywhere.
Old 2 February 2018, 02:42 AM   #45
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolexes & Tudors
I'm getting dressed for a particularly cold ski patrol shift beginning at noon. The projected wind chill temp at opening is -36 degrees F below zero. I'm wearing Patagonia, Under Armour, SmartWool, North Face, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Mountain Uniforms and Hestra gear. And it's ALL good. Outdoor clothing has never been better.

And I'm wearing a CWC G10 British military watch. Keeps amazingly accurate time. I also put my neoprene boot gloves by DRYGUY over my ski boots.

joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 02:45 AM   #46
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I'm getting dressed for a particularly cold ski patrol shift beginning at noon. The projected wind chill temp at opening is -36 degrees F below zero. I'm wearing Patagonia, Under Armour, SmartWool, North Face, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, Mountain Uniforms and Hester gear. And it's ALL good. Outdoor clothing has never been better.

And I'm wearing a CWC G10 British military watch. Keeps amazingly accurate time.

That's cold! Love the watch!! Have wanted one for a while now. Have fun and it's good to see you've survived that nasty flu!

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 February 2018, 03:24 AM   #47
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
That's cold! Love the watch!! Have wanted one for a while now. Have fun and it's good to see you've survived that nasty flu!
Thanks. I survived the flu, but I haven't felt that sick in decades. I love the CWC watch. It's light and very comfortable. I adjust the time every few months, and it's off by maybe 5-10 seconds when I do. Highly recommended tool watch.
Old 2 February 2018, 11:02 AM   #48
Flstfirider

Watch: Rolex, Tudor
Very high quality...worth the price.

I have several Arc’terx fleece pullovers (discontinued) several years ago that I wear often...one is about 8 years old and still looks and wears like new.
Flstfirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 03:51 AM   #49
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I know this isn't the Canada Goose thread, but thought I would chime in for anyone looking since it has been discussed.

The Chateau was far too slim. Tried a Lanford and it's definitely a better fit if you are a bit broader. Large Langford fit me well, but it seemed a little long. The CG store did not have a medium for me to try.

I did get to try the Expedition and I was swimming in it. That was a small.

The sizing on the expedition is hilarious. They didn't have one, but I might fit into an XS. Maybe even an XXS. If that's even a size.
Syed117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2018, 04:22 AM   #50
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
I know this isn't the Canada Goose thread, but thought I would chime in for anyone looking since it has been discussed.

The Chateau was far too slim. Tried a Lanford and it's definitely a better fit if you are a bit broader. Large Langford fit me well, but it seemed a little long. The CG store did not have a medium for me to try.

I did get to try the Expedition and I was swimming in it. That was a small.

The sizing on the expedition is hilarious. They didn't have one, but I might fit into an XS. Maybe even an XXS. If that's even a size.
Frankly from what I’ve experienced and read when it comes to sizing for Canada Goose jackets and parkas can be tricky. It’s not only tricky because it greatly depends on your build and whether you intend to layer or not but i’ve run into cases where certain jackets just didn’t work for my build. I can imagine this is also the case for parkas as well and in fact i’ve Read of a number of people experiencing this issue.

For example the Chilliwack just was never intended for someone like me in the first place. I was fortunate enough that I could compare the Borden Bomber and Chilliwack in person and it was quite evident the Borden Bomber was going to be more for someone like me. So this would be one example where two Bomber style jackets by Canada Goose but one was best for my build.

With regards to sizes I actually take an XLwhen it comes to all the other coats I have purchased. In fact I did so when it came to the Borden Bomber. However when it came to the Expedition where Canada Goose on their website recommends I take an XL, I actually took a Large. If I intend to layer under the an XL may have been in order. I do not so I didn’t.

From my experience fitting in person is best, second best is to do research on a site such as Amazon or Moose Jaw, in conjunction with Canada Goose where actual users provide height, weight, to a degree build and the model and size they choose. There are numerous accounts of people choking the wrong model or wrong size but if you do your research it will help greatly. However I would still try to purchase online where it’s possible to return if necessary. Since the selection locally typically is narrow and doesn’t last long the internet really becomes your best bet most times.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 4 February 2018, 05:05 PM   #51
kearez
"TRF" Member

I agree with the post above I was able to get my hands on the chateau Parka. There are labeled as slim fit coats, which fits me perfectly, I prefer all,of my clothes to be slim fit.

Only small issue I have I can only wear a shirt and a Merino jumper and the jacket due to the tight fit, but then again you most likely don’t need to wear anything else.

Also depending on which parka you buy I also think the work as great evening coats for dinner or heading out when it’s cold. It ticked all of my boxes I was looking for.
I would advise on try them on in a store if you can find them before buying online.
Old 5 February 2018, 01:46 AM   #52
Blackblur
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega PO, Kermit
Worth Every Cent

Artceryx is my go to brand. I have owned many Beta and Theta Shells over the years and they are solid gold. I work outdoors building sporting events. Not one time have I been let down by their stuff. The design elements and quality of construction are beyond reproach. I would buy their underwear if they made it. Only thoughts about second hand 2 or 3 ply shells ( Ebay) is that they fabrics may not have been properly cared for. They require a tech wash and respray every now and then. One that has lost its repellant qualities wont breathe or perform as well. That said, there are many good examples on the second hand market. My $.02
Blackblur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 February 2018, 02:14 AM   #53
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
CG fan myself
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L1000311 2.JPG (233.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 5 February 2018, 02:41 AM   #54
AS1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 6263
agree, their stuff is great
AS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2018, 11:26 AM   #55
austinp
"TRF" Member

Well ended up getting the Sabre shell from Arc'teryx. Gave it the maiden voyage today at Heavenly and couldn't have been happier. What stood out to me was the range of motion you still had. Kept all the wind out but absolutely no bulk. Very well made.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
austinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #56
cruise_bone
"TRF" Member

Awesome!
I have 3 pair of the Sabre ski pant. Love them!
cruise_bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2018, 12:38 AM   #57
joeychitwood
"TRF" Member

Looks great. And Heavenly looks amazing.
Old 13 March 2018, 12:41 AM   #58
bellesdad0417
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 SD43
I'm a huge fanboy of Arcteryx I have 8 pieces I think, and I agree with all the above comments concerning their quality.

I actually did have one piece where the hem failed and I sent it back expecting a repair and they just told me pick something else. So essentially I just go a brand new jacket. Top notch.
bellesdad0417 is offline   Reply With Quote