The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Which PP Worldtime do you prefer?
5110 41 41.84%
5130 31 31.63%
5230 26 26.53%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 March 2016, 02:23 PM   #1
KarlS
Banned

Which is your favourite PP World Timer

Just a bit of fun as the 5110 has a really strong fan base and the 5130 has a lot of haters due to the hands. I am not convinced the new 5230 has "hit it on the head" but seems to have gone back to the 5110 rots. Yes I know the 5110P is wonderful and I am sure someone is going to post that they love the 5575...but those aren't the choices!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patek_image5110.jpg (107.6 KB, 812 views)
File Type: jpg 5130g-001.jpg (46.3 KB, 809 views)
File Type: jpg patek 5230.jpg (47.1 KB, 807 views)
KarlS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2016, 05:04 PM   #2
SearChart
TechXpert

The 5110 because it's smaller and I like the dial better than the 5130 and 5230. But the 5230 is a lot nicer than the 5130, especially the dial and hour hand. I like the new case design also.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 03:25 AM   #3
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I'd rank them 5110, 5230, 5130
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2016, 06:59 PM   #4
vecioalpinn
"TRF" Member

5130 more soft
vecioalpinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 12:51 AM   #5
archer75
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP-AP- FPJ
How do you handle DST (daylight saving time) adjustments with these worldtimers?
archer75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 01:01 AM   #6
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5110 of those choices.

The white dials are significantly easier to read than black.

Side note the hands on the 5930 are my clear favorite.
Old 27 March 2016, 01:08 AM   #7
belk7
"TRF" Member

5110 for me. They just go so much right with this one.
belk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 01:10 AM   #8
blcblc
"TRF" Member

5110, but 5230 is growing on me
blcblc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2016, 01:59 AM   #9
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer75 View Post
How do you handle DST (daylight saving time) adjustments with these worldtimers?
I just adjust the time again as +1 on UTC to local time as I will do tomorrow. This is only 24 time zones. The VC has all of them!
Old 27 March 2016, 02:14 AM   #10
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlS View Post
I just adjust the time again as +1 on UTC to local time as I will do tomorrow. This is only 24 time zones. The VC has all of them!

Yes. But how it will work with the locations where they do not use DST. For instance, London-Dubai time difference is 4 hours today but it will be 3 hours tomorrow. According to city ring, isn't it fixed as 4 hours difference?
Old 27 March 2016, 02:21 AM   #11
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Yes. But how it will work with the locations where they do not use DST. For instance, London-Dubai time difference is 4 hours today but it will be 3 hours tomorrow. According to city ring, isn't it fixed as 4 hours difference?
Click the button until the ring shows the correct time in London after BST. Then pull the crown out and adjust the hands to local time in say Dubai. When you click to get the ring to Dubai you will find the hand have also moved and then I adjust backwards. Seems to work I remember from last time but will find out tomorrow!!
Old 27 March 2016, 04:14 AM   #12
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Click the button until the ring shows the correct time in London after BST. Then pull the crown out and adjust the hands to local time in say Dubai. When you click to get the ring to Dubai you will find the hand have also moved and then I adjust backwards. Seems to work I remember from last time but will find out tomorrow!!

I don't hv a WT to try it out but it is good to see there is a way to do it. I appreciate if you can take a picture of dial today and after you adjust tomorrow to post here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 March 2016, 07:04 AM   #13
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
None of those. I'd pick the brand new 5930G instead :) Or the 5575...
Old 27 March 2016, 07:35 AM   #14
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

5110. But would really try to stretch for the P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 March 2016, 03:56 PM   #15
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Crumpets you may be correct. I just got back from business trip and it had stopped and no matter what you do its 3 hours difference which does make sense if yo just count the number of zones away from London. So it wont pick up any daylight saving including australia...I know i asked the same question on buying and they confirmed that it didnt but must have been pure fluke that it was on the right zone and hence always looked correct. so basically its correct 50% of the year
Old 28 March 2016, 07:09 PM   #16
archer75
"TRF" Member

Which is your favourite PP World Timer

Quote:
Crumpets you may be correct. I just got back from business trip and it had stopped and no matter what you do its 3 hours difference which does make sense if yo just count the number of zones away from London. So it wont pick up any daylight saving including australia...I know i asked the same question on buying and they confirmed that it didnt but must have been pure fluke that it was on the right zone and hence always looked correct. so basically its correct 50% of the year

Thanks for checking this out. I was suspicious on this that was the reason why I questioned. I did not find any reference at PP website either. Some WT'ers in fact handle it, I hv not seen how it works but will check out. For your reference, there is an example. You can see cities with the dst applicable, a line and a star is next to the those cities. I will find out if the complication handle it by adjusting city mark to this star or you just manually read it by knowing it is summer time so calculate the time difference.

I am bit frusturated to see PP can not handle it, may be there is a way that we do not know but the solution by other manufactures is not there at PP dial.
Old 28 March 2016, 07:57 PM   #17
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for checking this out. I was suspicious on this that was the reason why I questioned. I did not find any reference at PP website either. Some WT'ers in fact handle it, I hv not seen how it works but will check out. For your reference, there is an example. You can see cities with the dst applicable, a line and a star is next to the those cities. I will find out if the complication handle it by adjusting city mark to this star or you just manually read it by knowing it is summer time so calculate the time difference.

I am bit frustrated to see PP can not handle it, may be there is a way that we do not know but the solution by other manufactures is not there at PP dial.
The JLC on this and the previous model had the same star. Sadly the JLC photographs better than in the person. The only solution is that when we have UTC + 1 is that we presume London=Paris and when we go back to UTC it reverts to London. This is the same as having a little * above Paris I guess. The strangest thing is that it ignores India and a huge market but then I guess that's to stop the dial becoming even more complicated like the Vacheron. Also cities changing timen zones making the watch obsolete is an issue which VC have sorted through a purchase of a new city dial whenever this changes which the PP cannot do.
Old 28 March 2016, 08:07 PM   #18
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The JLC on this and the previous model had the same star. Sadly the JLC photographs better than in the person. The only solution is that when we have UTC + 1 is that we presume London=Paris and when we go back to UTC it reverts to London. This is the same as having a little * above Paris I guess. The strangest thing is that it ignores India and a huge market but then I guess that's to stop the dial becoming even more complicated like the Vacheron. Also cities changing timen zones making the watch obsolete is an issue which VC have sorted through a purchase of a new city dial whenever this changes which the PP cannot do.

I agree on JLC- it is better looking at the photos.
London=Paris could one solution but what abt others? Then, u need to know if your destination is on summer time or not. I also agree VC which hv 37 zones has a busy dial.
I started to think maybe dual times are better in use than WT's.
There are also some dual times with city ring or city names suc as Lange 1 Time zone and JLC Geographic and I understand JLC handles summer time.
Old 28 March 2016, 08:19 PM   #19
KarlS
Banned

I had the JLC Geographicbut it's really a GMT. Also I couldn't read the hands but loved the watch. Obviously those without summer time changes will be accurate it others won't. Guess u would have to know Brisbane has e.g. But definitely will chat to Patek guys when I go see the mock up the 5930 on the 12th. Function over Form is imperative!!
Old 28 March 2016, 08:39 PM   #20
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I had the JLC Geographicbut it's really a GMT. Also I couldn't read the hands but loved the watch. Obviously those without summer time changes will be accurate it others won't. Guess u would have to know Brisbane has e.g. But definitely will chat to Patek guys when I go see the mock up the 5930 on the 12th. Function over Form is imperative!!

Yes, Geographic and Timezone are dual times not WT and the only addition from a normal dual zone is that you can set the destination time by changing to city names similiar to WT.
Pls ask PP guys, still the best looking WT's are from PP and I hope they hv the function as well.
Old 28 March 2016, 09:01 PM   #21
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Yes, Geographic and Timezone are dual times not WT and the only addition from a normal dual zone is that you can set the destination time by changing to city names similiar to WT.
Pls ask PP guys, still the best looking WT's are from PP and I hope they hv the function as well.
look at Breguet Hora Mundi
Old 29 March 2016, 01:51 AM   #22
archer75
"TRF" Member

Quote:
look at Breguet Hora Mundi

Very good but still prefer PP WT to work at the way I wanted it to be 😊
Old 29 March 2016, 02:24 AM   #23
HauteHorlogerie
Banned

Watch: 519LN | 64A
5131g
HauteHorlogerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2016, 11:41 AM   #24
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:

I am bit frusturated to see PP can not handle it, may be there is a way that we do not know but the solution by other manufactures is not there at PP dial.

Wow.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 08:05 AM   #25
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

This!

Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 08:08 AM   #26
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

This!

Old 3 May 2016, 01:03 PM   #27
el1125
Banned

This one in J. Followed by the 5575...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (50.2 KB, 398 views)
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2016, 01:14 PM   #28
KarlS
Banned

Def agree on 5575 and my favourite. But to spend $100k on a watch that wasn't particularly rare and has Moscow in the wrong time zone doesn't work for me!
Old 3 May 2016, 07:22 PM   #29
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Def agree on 5575 and my favourite. But to spend $100k on a watch that wasn't particularly rare and has Moscow in the wrong time zone doesn't work for me!
5575 is a lovely watch - I guess PP will finish deliveries of the 1300 pieces quite soon?
Old 3 May 2016, 07:36 PM   #30
KarlS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
5575 is a lovely watch - I guess PP will finish deliveries of the 1300 pieces quite soon?
Final delivered last year!

Tags
51010 , 5230 , patek , worldtime; 5130