The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2018, 10:17 AM   #61
Gray_Panther
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclockworkblue View Post
Fellow straight razor shaver? (fingers crossed)

Αdd me to the enthusiast straight razor club. Even have my own honing stones.

Stayed at a hotel with friends and they were all mesmerized when I was shaving and held their breath when I did my neck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gray_Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:27 AM   #62
MinMay
Banned

Hard to find watch lovers outside of this forum.

I have always been into fine things in life from cars to electronics to clothing to watches. I know two friends who love Rolex but we don’t talk much about it other than being aware we enjoy them. It’s fine by me. I choose my own destiny and buy what makes me happy.

And you’re right. Most Asians are into Rolex because it’s a status symbol just like LV purses. Personally I hate LV because I see too many of them. Just like too many BMW. I’m glad there are NOT many Rolex around otherwise I’ll start buying Patek.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:36 AM   #63
frankfrazetta
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Explorer II
Pretty soon we're going to relegated to the alt-collector-watch-anachronistic-rolex forum using a command line interface.
frankfrazetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 10:39 AM   #64
SLS
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT's & Sub's
I've been to a half a dozen GTG's between TRF, Timezone & VRF. The best was probably at Fourtane in Carmel when the Deep Sea Special was there back in August of 2009. Collectors from around the world were there. Oddly, a guy that introduced me to timezone was on my ice hockey team, big Omega fan.

Member No. 922
SLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 11:13 AM   #65
Dpop24
"TRF" Member

I’m new to the luxury watch scene. I always wore a watch but thought I’d hit the pinnacle with my Seiko. Then I noticed that a young buck at work had a GMTc II on and realized he’d been wearing it for a couple YEARS before I even noticed.

He showed me his Speedy, Planet Ocean, and Breitling and the WIS seed was planted. Now that he left the company, I never see another Rolex at the office.

Traveling today though, it was crowded at the car rental line and I saw an El Primero, Tag Monaco, and a Seamaster, plus my EX II. I am quite confident that I was the only person that even noticed that there were other nice watches there. I learned a while back not to mention another’s guy watch after asking about one’s fake Rolex and another’s Quartz Tag.

My EX II has never been noticed by anyone and has never elicited a single response or compliment of any kind, which is of course how I prefer it.

I come to TRF to read about, learn about, and talk about watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dpop24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 01:13 PM   #66
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
I totally agree with the OP.Very very rarely are one of my watches noticed, maybe the Panerai. Interesting more people aren't into watches as it is the only piece of 'jewelry' most guys can wear.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 02:18 PM   #67
Jsol
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT, AP, DD,
I’m in San Francisco and there are a couple of us around so let’s get a group going. Everything starts with the first person! PM me!
Old 14 August 2018, 03:07 PM   #68
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Agree with your statement. I too have a hard time finding people in SF area interested in watches.
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 04:28 PM   #69
BrazenC5
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1665,1675,1680,SD4
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfrazetta View Post
Pretty soon we're going to relegated to the alt-collector-watch-anachronistic-rolex forum using a command line interface.
Best line in this thread!
BrazenC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 07:35 PM   #70
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Where I live, none of my friends are into watches. Out of 90 work colleagues, 6 appreciate luxury watches up to a point. I don't know anyone with pieces worth over 5-6 grand. People who have low salaries don't consider luxury items at all and people who make a decent living prefer to spend the cash on cars, a second house, motorcycles, holidays etc.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2018, 08:16 PM   #71
hai.tranhr
"TRF" Member

Same with you, first time knewn Rolex watches. I always have a wish that having a Rolex watch in someday.
hai.tranhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:00 AM   #72
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Exactly my point I've been saying for years. Nobody gives a crap about watches. I've gotten far more notices/compliments on my fitbit than any watch I've ever owned.

I remember one time in a restaurant when a waitress starting oohing and aahing over my wife's watch...some sort of fashion watch, and I was sitting there wearing a PM Rolex. Go figure.

Which always makes me wonder about all these threads about what watch should I wear? Nobody knows or cares...make yourself happy.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ 100% agree with Larry. Unless it’s a very “in your face” watch....such as any 40+mm Yellow gold Rolex...basically nobody cares! Even with a YG piece on, you’ll get glances, an occasional compliment, but in general, no one even notices. We are a very small community of awesome enthusiasts !

...now as for that Corvette.....I’m going to guess that garners it’s share of attention by the general public, car fans or not
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:03 AM   #73
Rodmo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3 Subs/2 Daytonas
It is a hobby. Different hobbies for different folks.......
Rodmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 12:19 AM   #74
captainron62
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King 40mm
Yes, its a bit of an enigma for sure. I just last month ran into my largest contingent of Rolex wearers. It was on a Royal Caribbean cruise to Cuba. Day one on the ship ran into a young couple that looked like they just stepped out of a Hip Hop video, he was wearing an SS Blk face DJ41, Roman numerals and diamond bezel, she was wearing a ladies model. Saw another couple with his and her Rolex, and yet another guy with a Bluesy sub. I spoke a bit to each of them, but oddly they just seemed to be status symbols and they were not actually into watches as we are.
captainron62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:28 AM   #75
Grandcrew
Banned

http://redbarsf.com
We just started a Milwaukee chapter for RedBar last month. Our first meeting was really fun and unpretentious. I’m sure the bay is silly with people just like us.
Grandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 02:36 AM   #76
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
In my immediate area I don’t see anyone wearing Rolex and yet we have 7 ADs within a 2 hour radius.

My local AD is literally 5 minutes from my house.

My point is, just because you don’t see others wearing them, doesn’t necessarily mean there aren’t enthusiasts out there.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 05:40 AM   #77
littleolemoi
"TRF" Member

I've only started noticing since joining TRF and had started friendly conversations with a few men.

A couple of times at Starbucks and at my gym ....... each time the guy was impressed with how much I knew of their Rolex. All of them had said rarely does anyone notices needless to say be able to chitchat about it.

In the one week my hubby has worn his DJ he said only his boss had noticed haaaaa!!??

Figures??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
littleolemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2018, 06:38 AM   #78
Largoshark
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleolemoi View Post
I've only started noticing since joining TRF and had started friendly conversations with a few men.

A couple of times at Starbucks and at my gym ....... each time the guy was impressed with how much I knew of their Rolex. All of them had said rarely does anyone notices needless to say be able to chitchat about it.

In the one week my hubby has worn his DJ he said only his boss had noticed haaaaa!!??

Figures??

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Haha why does this not surprise me?

...I've had 3-4 coworkers comment, but I assume most people just choose not to say anything. I do the same when I see someone wearing a nice watch.
Largoshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 10:26 AM   #79
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbk45 View Post
Agreed. I am also Bay Area-based, work in tech and rarely come across other enthusiasts outside of AD-related events. I’d love to gtg and talk shop some time with other WIS in the Bay. I own a handful of nice watches and the only one in my collection that’s ever been noticed was my Hulk and thats maybe 3 times in the last two years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
I’ve been into watches since I was a kid. I’ve had many over the years. I can’t seem to find another human being outside of the forums that shares the same interest. I do ok and live and work in tech in SF. I have 100s of friends from IT to drs and lawyers and no one I know gives a sh%# about watches. Back a few years ago I had my friend over who is a very successful ER dr for dinner and wine and he saw my collection of 4 SS Rolex watches. He asked what those were rotating in my winder I told him and he said I’m weird. I work for a prestigious law firm and don’t see anyone wearing a nice watch. It seems no one in SF has an interest in nice watches and they all wear an Apple Watch. Sad but if I want to have a conversation with anyone here outside the forums I have to walk into an AD. The person I’m dating now asked about my Daytona and I gave them the history and what I paid for it and what it goes for now and they told me I should sell it now and invest the money.

With that said I went to Asia for work for 6 weeks recently and everyone appreciated and had nice watches. Maybe this is an American/SF thing that has no interest in watches?
SF Bay Area GTG - End September

Fyi
Old 6 September 2018, 10:41 AM   #80
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Bay Area also

I have worn a lot of different watches over the years. Nobody notices. I wear a Vivosport on one wrist and a Rolex on the other. Nobody notices. None of my kids wear a wrist watch, even though I have given them watches. They use their phone. All of the Silicon Valley types I know either wear a smart watch that they can use to reply to e-mails, texts, check their heart, etc, or use their phones. I know a few lawyers who wear Patek, Rolex, G-shock, or Panerai, but that's about it. No one sees watches who isn't 'into' watches.

It was a bit different in the 70s when I was a young lawyer. A nice Rolex, with a nice suit, and some wing tip shoes told clients that they had a lawyer who was good, since he/she was successful. These days, some of the highest paid IP lawyers in Silicon Valley go to work in jeans and an open collar shirt.

Times have changed, and watches don't have a message for the general public. So buy what you like, wear it, and come to forums like this one when you want company.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 11:26 AM   #81
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Everywhere I go.

Watch nuts.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 September 2018, 11:36 AM   #82
Boothroyd
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Wilsdorf(s)
I see people who have bought a luxury item to wear, but meet very few who are into horology. I have to run over to one of our local AD's to have a watch discussion. Not that I am an expert by any stretch.There are a few TRF members in my neck of the woods, but we separated by quite a distance from posts I have read.

I love going to Polachek's and Fourtane in CA while traveling. Great conversations with those AD's.
Old 6 September 2018, 12:07 PM   #83
Doc Savage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Explorer 214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard371 View Post
... I almost feel more comfortable discussing gohonera then Rolex lol...
Excellent! This should be my signature :)

Nobody I work with are watch fans, so I have had to create them myself. My five kids all wear mech watches!

-Edward O. Wilson
Doc Savage is offline   Reply With Quote