The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 11 November 2012, 09:42 AM   #1
GIS8
"TRF" Member

Problem in removing the Bezel on 90's GMT II

After scouring the internet for a bezel insert and finally receiving it I thought it was time to do the in home replacement. And to my luck I some how messed even that simple task up.

In removing the bezel the glass ended up stuck to the bezel. What should I do? The watch runs perfectly, but the bezel had always never spun correctly, now I know why.

What should I do? Should i pop the glass out of the bezel and stick it into the watch? Or would that be stupid? There aren't any local watchmakers, and I'd prefer to do a fix in home

I hate my luck.
GIS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2012, 09:47 AM   #2
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

What you need to do now, is take to an RSC or independent watch maker (with Rolex parts account)....
The plexi glass seal to the watch is now compromised and needs to be correctly seated again to provide water proof integrity....
If not installed properly by yourself, you risk a flood of the watch...

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2012, 09:57 AM   #3
GIS8
"TRF" Member

Water proof integrity aside, how can I fix it? I'm not in a position, money wise, to be able to send it off to get fixed.
Old 11 November 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
sleddog
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

There is no home remedy IMO, as new parts and a press are needed.

I'll move this to the 'watch tech' section and one of our experienced watch maker members can give you their professional advice.... which I'm sure will entail a trip to a watchmaker!!

TRF's "After Dark" Bar & Nightclub Patron-Founding Member..
sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
First separate the crystal from the crystal retaining ring that is now stuck to your rotating bezel and put back on watch and line the cyclop over the date. Now separate the retaining ring from the bezel by first if you can popping the insert out of the rotating part. Once done you;ll have to separate the retaining ring from the rotating bezel without bending or distorting either good luck with that by the way. Once separated you'll need a crystal press to put the retaing ring back over the crystal make sure it seats flat to the case on all sides. Now put your new insert in the rotating bezel again good luck with that when done put the tension ring over the retaining ring than snap on the bezel easy peazy japanezy. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2012, 02:29 PM   #6
crew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIS8 View Post
Water proof integrity aside, how can I fix it? I'm not in a position, money wise, to be able to send it off to get fixed.
If ever a watch needed professional help it's yours. I understand wanting to save a buck, but this is not one of those times. My only advice is if finances prevent you from going to a professional then put the crystal back on as best you can. Then, seal the watch in an airtight bag or container and leave it until timing allows it to be repaired. Best of luck on getting this repaired in relatively short order.
crew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2012, 02:54 PM   #7
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew View Post
If ever a watch needed professional help it's yours. I understand wanting to save a buck, but this is not one of those times. My only advice is if finances prevent you from going to a professional then put the crystal back on as best you can. Then, seal the watch in an airtight bag or container and leave it until timing allows it to be repaired. Best of luck on getting this repaired in relatively short order.
+1. Send it to Rik D.....bet it's cheaper than you think to get it fixed.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2012, 02:27 AM   #8
GIS8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
First separate the crystal from the crystal retaining ring that is now stuck to your rotating bezel and put back on watch and line the cyclop over the date. Now separate the retaining ring from the bezel by first if you can popping the insert out of the rotating part. Once done you;ll have to separate the retaining ring from the rotating bezel without bending or distorting either good luck with that by the way. Once separated you'll need a crystal press to put the retaing ring back over the crystal make sure it seats flat to the case on all sides. Now put your new insert in the rotating bezel again good luck with that when done put the tension ring over the retaining ring than snap on the bezel easy peazy japanezy. Rikki
Pretty much fixed it. Only problem being the air that got in it before closing it. Will send it off to get fixed sooner or later.
Old 12 November 2012, 05:10 AM   #9
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Quote:
Pretty much fixed it. Only problem being the air that got in it before closing it. Will send it off to get fixed sooner or later.
You really ought to send it to a RSC or a watchmaker like Rik to have it done right and pressure tested. If not you run a high risk of water getting into it.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2012, 06:48 AM   #10
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
Quote:
Its not the air that will do any damage unless it is extremely humid where you are, its the potential for moisture getting in thats the problem.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote