The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 December 2012, 11:29 AM   #1
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
GMT quick set question

I currently have a stainless pepsi bezeled GMT 1675 made in 1966 and would rather have the same watch in a quick set version. I assume that this is to quickly set the date as well as the GMT hand, right?

What do I look for to find the one I'm after? Do I have to go to a GMT Master II or is there something in the years between that would have that quick set feature?

Trouble is, I don't know when that particular feature became standard in the GMT. I read in the FAQ section that the feature itself was introduced in 1977 but that doesn't mean they immediately went into every caliber they made from then on, I'm sure there was a transition period.

So, do I look for a certain starting serial number range or what? I'd also like to know the difference between the GMT and the GMT Master II. All I could find was a few references stating the differences between the GMT II and the ceramic new ones.

I wasn't sure where to post this so if this isn't the correct place I apologize in advance, feel free to move it as you see fit.
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I think that the 16750 introduced the quickset and it carried over into the 16700. Quickset only refers to the date; the hands are set in the normal way.

The GMT II does not have quickset, it introduced the independently adjustable hour hand and so it will display two time-zones without moving the bezel. The date can be changed by jumping the hour hand around the dial more quickly than the older way of moving both hands - so you might say it has a semi-quickset date..
Old 10 December 2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

I stumbled upon this site

http://www.gmtmasterhistory.com/gmt-...ref_16700.html

and it seemed to explain the features of each version of this watch. Since the one I have is plenty thick enough and I don't want even more mass on my arm it seems I need to look for the 16750 for its quickset and same case size and acrylic crystal.

Before I got this watch 16 years ago, I was used to wearing 1930's and 40's tank cased American watches that weigh nothing so it was an adjustment going to the watch I've wanted since I was a kid. I dang sure can't see going to the thicker cased GMT II.

If there were a 1675 and 16750 with the same configuration, which would be more valuable from a trade standpoint? Would I be trading up or down?
Old 11 December 2012, 07:18 AM   #4
kooltzar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 5512
The 1675 has the cal. 1575 movement built in. This caliber does not have a quick set function. The later cal. 3075 as from 1977 which is used in the 16750 does.
kooltzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2012, 08:16 AM   #5
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
I've moved this to the Vintage Board as the debate about "value" and the various iterations of the 1675 and the 16750 can be discussed for hours..
Old 11 December 2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Thanks Larry.
Old 11 December 2012, 02:05 PM   #7
John in MA
"TRF" Member

The matte dial 16750 is more desirable. Only difference is movement but it can be difficult finding one in very nice condition and all original. From my experience an awesome 16750 can command higher prices then a later 1675 due to the scarcity. Mine is from 1983 so matte dials were still available then. I think the matte dial 16750 was only from 1980-1983 though could be wrong.

How To: Remove a Tudor Pelagos Endlink in 60 Seconds or Less
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 December 2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

16750 has quick-set
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote