The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 27 July 2018, 06:31 AM   #91
City74
Banned

Watch: Speedy Reduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
I don't have any first hand experience with Thursday, but online reviews seem to be favorable for the most part. I am eyeing up the Vanguard Cap Toe in burnt copper.

Those are really nice. I’m gonna try a pair of the Presidents in black
City74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 06:32 AM   #92
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
Out of all the brands discussed, I tend to favor Alden and Viberg for casual/street wear. EG and C&J make great boots, but I find them too "dressy" for my normal daily wear. The Indy boot is a classic and you can't go wrong with it if that's what you want. I would spend the extra $100 and go Viberg as the quality in construction and leather is noticeably better. Sizing may be an issue if you have not tried on any of these brands so get some help before you buy.
I see most of the EG and C&J are dressy but the Coniston in dark brown roughout is a really nice casual boot
Old 27 July 2018, 06:38 AM   #93
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
You wear a $800 pair of dress boots hunting? Only on the Rolex forums.

to you man.

And thanks to this thread, now I am searching for a new pair of boots for myself. Probably going to give Thursday Boot Company a try. I know, plebe status for most on this forum, but for me, the law of diminishing returns kicks in at around the $300 price point for footwear.
Might I suggest the Allen Edmonds offerings? You can generally find them on sale for a great price, and can be restored at AE for not too much at all, so you should get a very long time of wear. There's a few different styles for work, off pavement, etc.
KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 06:39 AM   #94
hitman23
"TRF" Member

The Coniston is nice as well. There are dress boots and there are "work" boots. The Coniston fits the former category. It is essentially a dress shoe with a tall shaft. If you want the work boot look, then it's really Viberg/Alden/White's/Red Wing.
hitman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 07:39 AM   #95
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Ah, sorry. It's been a few years when I was looking I'm pretty sure the only option was a leather sole.

Thanks Bas.
They have a vibram commando type sole as well for the heritage Iron Rangers.

I just like the classic cork one, if it's cold and wet out you can slip & slide around the pavement
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 09:17 AM   #96
DARK_KNIGHT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier
Quote:
So did I forget to mention Truman, Rancourt, and Oakstreet Bootmakers? But I've yet to mention a number of others because you forgot to mention a budget or style yet. LOL
Dan, until someone proves otherwise, you knowledge on footwear is just - out of this world.
Old 27 July 2018, 01:41 PM   #97
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
I wear Chippewa's and Rossi boots.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 02:21 PM   #98
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by City74 View Post
Yea I’m finding out that most of the makers use size E or D lasts which typically are going to be too wide for me. Alden has some B widths but very select. I spoke to Viberg and they said they use E last but with me needing to most likely downsize the shoe it should be better. I’m still concerned. I guess that is what sucks about living far away from a big city, you can’t try much stuff on without traveling a few hours
When using the term downsizing the way you are it typically is a bad thing. Keep in mind the way their 2030 Last is which is the Last used for their Service boot most will take a 1/2 size down from their regular Brannock size. However when doing so the ball of my foot or the widest part of my foot still matches or meets up with the widest part of the boot. However if you downsize because your foot is narrower and try to achieve a good fit or size up because your foot is too wide and the widest part or the ball of your foot does not match up with the widest part of the boot then your looking at a poor fit overall.

Also keep in mind that Shoemakers do not always follow what you consider a US standard size. This is not only true for the length of this one particular Viberg Last and length but also the width of the 2030 Last as well. However that's the way that one Last is and some of their other Lasts if I remember correctly are different with regards to how one should size. John Lobb for instances typically it is best for most to take a full size down while for Edward Green and Gaziano and Girling it would be only a half size. You have to know what you are doing or have actually tried on their shoes. Some here actually don't size down a full size with their John Lobbs and are able to get a good fit. When it comes to standard widths for some of these same shoemakers the E is their normal width and the D their narrow width.

The Last or the shape of the shoe is extremely important when it comes to shape, length and width when attempting to get a good fit. I know of no two shoemakers who use the same Last but there are some who use the typical US size but not all. This again is yet another reason where it best to do some research but also size them in person.

Here again a trip at some point may actually be worth it if your really wanting to ensure a good fit.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 02:23 PM   #99
KarlTheToyotaGuy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 36!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman23 View Post
The Coniston is nice as well. There are dress boots and there are "work" boots. The Coniston fits the former category. It is essentially a dress shoe with a tall shaft. If you want the work boot look, then it's really Viberg/Alden/White's/Red Wing.

Quote:
I see most of the EG and C&J are dressy but the Coniston in dark brown roughout is a really nice casual boot
Forgive the poor picture quality, much cropping was had to meet the photo requirements

Don’t discount the Islays due to the fancy stock photo. They’re workhorses. They’re also storm welted, and the danite sole is wonderful to walk on, be it in the barn, woods, or office

KarlTheToyotaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 02:25 PM   #100
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlTheToyotaGuy View Post
I am very happy with my Crockett and Jones Islays. So much so, that I have a pair that I wear while hunting/camping, and a pair that I can wear to the office during the chillier months.

Yep, yep I too like my Islays as well as my C&J Lindricks. In fact my Islays are one of my favorite boots. C&J just knows all to well how to make one helluva great boot. Islays on the left.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 02:30 PM   #101
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I really like a pair of those C&J in their website. I might call the NY store and ask about fit etc
I found their 325 Last a bit narrow. I think that Last if I remember correctly is used on their Handgrade line. Here again there is a thread on Styleforum for C&J.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/q...ty-etc.227575/

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 02:40 PM   #102
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No no no man I’m right with you. It’s crazy prices for sure but on some things I allow myself to splurge and shoes are one of them. I will probably buy a pair of Thursday’s also as the have a black pair I really like.

Personally I have little experience with Thursday Boots. I am aware of them but have no actual experience with them. It's my understanding they may offer boots for the those sized challenged individuals. However tempting I would proceed with caution. In the latest posting I read one person was happy and one found the quality not that great. I believe he stated he found the leather fairly thin.

Personally stuff like this would keep me away in fact when I asked the person why he would go with a non-standard bootmaker I know very little about he said he had been warned by another person and thought because of his size and the color he got it was worth the risk. Personally I like going with known and not the unknown when purchasing things.

I would imagine there would be a thread on Styleforum if so I would do some research first. Personally for me at this point it's not worth checking into but for you it might be.

By the way here is a the thread I spoke of and by the way it just happens to be a thread about nothing but boots.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/b...50433/page-458

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 02:41 PM   #103
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:

The Conniston is a fabulous boot and I'm sorry I forgot about it. If I remember correctly it even appealed to me more than the Snowdon did.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 02:51 PM   #104
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Might I suggest the Allen Edmonds offerings? You can generally find them on sale for a great price, and can be restored at AE for not too much at all, so you should get a very long time of wear. There's a few different styles for work, off pavement, etc.

All true but also you may want to keep in mind the following when it comes to AE. Once again they are in the lower tier so although they are good there is better.

AE mass produces shoes and boots on a level I think no other Goodyear Welted shoemaker does. However by no means do they do so with the Rolex quality in mind. Although it's entirely possible you will never get a bad one it happens. And although it happens with everyone to include EG in rare cases it happens much more with AE.

However the great thing about AE is their superb customer support. So if you get a bad one they will replace it with no questions asked no matter how many times it takes to get it right.

A few years ago the AE CEO addressed this very issue of quality and their shoes. Basically he said it was more cost prohibited to fix the quality problem than it would be to make sure his customer support was more than willing to work with his customers.

Bottom line is that at the lower tier there are better shoes and boots out there even when and for the most part they get their product right. Typically you get what you pay for and for a reason.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 02:53 PM   #105
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post
Dan, until someone proves otherwise, you knowledge on footwear is just - out of this world.

Hardly, but after a few years of hanging out with the geeks and buying and owning a number of different brands I have acquired a bit of knowledge, experience, and formed some of my own opinions.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 02:59 PM   #106
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Forgive the poor picture quality, much cropping was had to meet the photo requirements

Don’t discount the Islays due to the fancy stock photo. They’re workhorses. They’re also storm welted, and the danite sole is wonderful to walk on, be it in the barn, woods, or office

Scotch Grain makes for a great inclement weather boot. I think it ranks possibly only behind Chromexcel and Zug. Zug without a doubt is the best inclement weather leather.

Oh by the way this is an EG Galway Boot and on the 64 Last it is hardly dressy. On other Lasts and different leathers yes they are more smart casual for sure. The Shannon or closed laced boot is their dress boot. The way it's laced distinguishes whether its a dress boot or not and the Derby or open laced boot or shoe is considered a casual shoe or boot. They used to have another more casual boot but not sure if they still do. Forget the name but their catalogue which they do not publish is rather extensive and for a price you can purchase mostly anything they have ever done.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 04:03 PM   #107
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Oh, and by the way for a good number not all US Shoemakers it is typical and normal for medium width people to downsize by a 1/2 size. True for my Redwings, Wolverine 1K, and Aldens or Barry Last. Doesn't work for everybody, every shoemaker, or every Last. But then again no two people have the same foot and no shoemaker I know of uses someone else's Last.

Even though a particular Last may not require you to take a 1/2 size smaller a boot on the same last as a shoe will typically be a little bigger than the shoe. I have one particular boot in a width smaller on a particular Last where the shoes on the same Last I would never get into if they were not in the larger width. I know a number of people who have noticed the same. Must have something to do with a difference in how a boot can be lasted vs a shoe.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 06:39 PM   #108
City74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARK_KNIGHT View Post
Haha I so agree
Old 27 July 2018, 06:45 PM   #109
City74
Banned

Quote:
The Conniston is a fabulous boot and I'm sorry I forgot about it. If I remember correctly it even appealed to me more than the Snowdon did.
I thought that was the most casual boot they offered especially in the suede version. Very very nice looking
Old 27 July 2018, 06:47 PM   #110
City74
Banned

Quote:
All true but also you may want to keep in mind the following when it comes to AE. Once again they are in the lower tier so although they are good there is better.

AE mass produces shoes and boots on a level I think no other Goodyear Welted shoemaker does. However by no means do they do so with the Rolex quality in mind. Although it's entirely possible you will never get a bad one it happens. And although it happens with everyone to include EG in rare cases it happens much more with AE.

However the great thing about AE is their superb customer support. So if you get a bad one they will replace it with no questions asked no matter how many times it takes to get it right.

A few years ago the AE CEO addressed this very issue of quality and their shoes. Basically he said it was more cost prohibited to fix the quality problem than it would be to make sure his customer support was more than willing to work with his customers.

Bottom line is that at the lower tier there are better shoes and boots out there even when and for the most part they get their product right. Typically you get what you pay for and for a reason.

Yea I won’t say no to a pair of AE if they are on super sale. I plan on having a few boots and AE could have a spot.
Old 27 July 2018, 10:16 PM   #111
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yea I won’t say no to a pair of AE if they are on super sale. I plan on having a few boots and AE could have a spot.

Understand.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 10:25 PM   #112
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I thought that was the most casual boot they offered especially in the suede version. Very very nice looking

C&J really do make some very nice boots. On Styleforum they have a Group Made to Order thread for Crockett and Jones and from time to time there is a proposal for something which might interest you. In fact you could also possibly put in a request for possibly a Zug version who knows.

It's a worth a look especially if your interested in Crockett and Jones.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/c...7#post-9407997

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 10:53 PM   #113
City74
Banned

Quote:
C&J really do make some very nice boots. On Styleforum they have a Group Made to Order thread for Crockett and Jones and from time to time there is a proposal for something which might interest you. In fact you could also possibly put in a request for possibly a Zug version who knows.

It's a worth a look especially if your interested in Crockett and Jones.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/c...7#post-9407997

Being that you have handled the Conniston, would you say in suede it’s a casual boot? Casual enough for jeans and a casual button down shirt or polo?
Old 27 July 2018, 10:58 PM   #114
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Being that you have handled the Conniston, would you say in suede it’s a casual boot? Casual enough for jeans and a casual button down shirt or polo?

I've never handled a Conniston, but I do have a few boots and shoes from Crockett and Jones.

No matter, suede works with jeans and I'm sure you can find some pictures on the boot thread I provided earlier where someone where's suede with jeans as I do because suede is a casual leather.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 27 July 2018, 11:00 PM   #115
Stevey_O'Gilmour
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Loake Bedale. I love mine.

Stevey_O'Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 July 2018, 11:10 PM   #116
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevey_O'Gilmour View Post

However with Loake you need to be careful in selecting anything from them as they have more than one line of shoes. Some of what they make comes from third world countries where those particular shoes are cheap pieces of junk. However the 1880 line is on line with what Allen Edmonds makes. So basically their best shoes and boots are in the lower tier of shoemakers and their price will reflect that. Here again you'll want to steer clear of anything but the 1880 line unless they have changed since the last I looked.

Styleforum has a thread on them as well.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/l...thread.354125/

By the way there is at least one other forum with regards to footwear but Styleforum is the go to for me for a number of reasons of which it is how it is organized which makes it easier to find things.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 July 2018, 02:50 AM   #117
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Quote:
I have a pair of Conistons, my fav boots. Can wear with a suit but works great with jeans or casual wear as well.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 02:51 AM   #118
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 July 2018, 02:53 AM   #119
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptopman View Post

Boom, that's them!!!

I'm big on shoe bags. Great way to keep that nasty dust off when not in use. Usually bag mine the day after wear so I can air them out a bit.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 28 July 2018, 05:53 AM   #120
City74
Banned

Quote:
I've never handled a Conniston, but I do have a few boots and shoes from Crockett and Jones.

No matter, suede works with jeans and I'm sure you can find some pictures on the boot thread I provided earlier where someone where's suede with jeans as I do because suede is a casual leather.

Yea that’s my thinking too