The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 14 August 2018, 11:49 PM   #61
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
I guess that's the sign of a strong brand. Even though your product sucks and is uber expensive, people buy it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Yeah, people buy it once and then never again. Not sure thats a sign of a strong brand but more hype and money than brains.
Agreed. I, of course, was being facetious.
Old 14 August 2018, 11:51 PM   #62
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
Agreed. I, of course, was being facetious.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 01:46 AM   #63
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Lets not act like Ferrari is gods gift of reliability either lol.. Had a modern v12 flagship car, and well... just couldn't take it anymore

Maserati is the same or worse
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:14 AM   #64
keithl
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
I was just curious, I saw a Grand Tourismo the other day and it looked and sounded unbelievably beautiful. It is not often that I see them on the roads; what do you think of them without mentioning depreciation?
I'm really into cars, but I've never had a Maserati (has anyone who has comented actually owned one?) but based on my research and taling to other owners I would/will. Just buy one used, have it inspected and budget for maintenance/repairs.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:29 AM   #65
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLGT2 View Post
Lets not act like Ferrari is gods gift of reliability either lol.. Had a modern v12 flagship car, and well... just couldn't take it anymore

Maserati is the same or worse
The 430 began some reliability. 458 and current 488 and very solid cars. Anything prior to the 430 and I would agree with you.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:32 AM   #66
tommy91
"TRF" Member

I have quattroporte, before that was aston martin v8 and before that aston martin db7. I have had the quattroporte for 4 years and nothing has gone wrong at all in those 4 years. Honestly i am suprised as others i have heard so many bad things about reliability but its been far more reliable than any of my previous cars. I have had problems with porsche in the past and mercedes but the maserati nothing. Maybe i got lucky who knows, when i bought i intented to keep for year only but like with watches i get attatched to some and find it hard to let go. It gets about 6000 miles a year so not a daily driver and yes the resale is terrible but i think i will just hold on to it and maybe add f430 in the next few months.
tommy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 04:33 AM   #67
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy91 View Post
I have quattroporte, before that was aston martin v8 and before that aston martin db7. I have had the quattroporte for 4 years and nothing has gone wrong at all in those 4 years. Honestly i am suprised as others i have heard so many bad things about reliability but its been far more reliable than any of my previous cars. I have had problems with porsche in the past and mercedes but the maserati nothing. Maybe i got lucky who knows, when i bought i intented to keep for year only but like with watches i get attatched to some and find it hard to let go. It gets about 6000 miles a year so not a daily driver and yes the resale is terrible but i think i will just hold on to it and maybe add f430 in the next few months.
Going from Aston to Maserati..... so one troublesome car to another.

Yeah, I would say you have been lucky so far.
Old 15 August 2018, 04:45 AM   #68
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Current line up. The mercedes under 2 years has been in for electronic issues but nothing for quattroporte so yes guys all go and get the most reliable car in the world.... i agree i think i have just been very lucky. I did have it in for routine service around 6 months ago and was told i had 20% clutch left so i am expecting that in the next year which i have heard is pretty expensive. I am going to limit the miles i do in it to maybe 2000 a year and add another car
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180814_203726-768x1024.jpg (243.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 15 August 2018, 04:52 AM   #69
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Current line up. The mercedes under 2 years has been in for electronic issues but nothing for quattroporte so yes guys all go and get the most reliable car in the world.... i agree i think i have just been very lucky. I did have it in for routine service around 6 months ago and was told i had 20% clutch left so i am expecting that in the next year which i have heard is pretty expensive. I am going to limit the miles i do in it to maybe 2000 a year and add another car
Hey, I drive proper race cars, so I know all about throwing money out the window. But if I am going to do it on a street car (which I likely never would), it better freakin sing to me. And in that category, I can only think of two options. 458 or GT3RS, period. Anything else, nope.

How many miles are on the Maserati where you are down to 20% clutch left? Did you buy it new?
Old 15 August 2018, 05:05 AM   #70
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey, I drive proper race cars, so I know all about throwing money out the window. But if I am going to do it on a street car (which I likely never would), it better freakin sing to me. And in that category, I can only think of two options. 458 or GT3RS, period. Anything else, nope.

How many miles are on the Maserati where you are down to 20% clutch left? Did you buy it new?
Nope not new i would never buy one new. It was bought 5 years ago this december. It only had 10,000 miles when i bought. It now has 34,000 miles. If i part ex it now i will only of lost Ł10,500 in 5 years which is actually not too bad at all for a maserati as you probably know. I am looking at f430, i would love 458 but just cant stretch to that at the moment. Any other alternatives you think i should be looking at for f430 money?
Old 15 August 2018, 05:08 AM   #71
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Nope not new i would never buy one new. It was bought 5 years ago this december. It only had 10,000 miles when i bought. It now has 34,000 miles. If i part ex it now i will only of lost Ł10,500 in 5 years which is actually not too bad at all for a maserati as you probably know. I am looking at f430, i would love 458 but just cant stretch to that at the moment. Any other alternatives you think i should be looking at for f430 money?
2015 or so standard GT3. 120-140K ballpark, should be pretty close to F430 money.

34K miles on a clutch isn't great.... 24K miles in 5 years, you barely drive it and why you likely haven't had many issues.
Old 15 August 2018, 05:30 AM   #72
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
My neighbor has one, I roll my eyes ever time he drives by and tries to sound off his motor. Such a tool.....
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 August 2018, 05:32 AM   #73
tommy91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
2015 or so standard GT3. 120-140K ballpark, should be pretty close to F430 money.

34K miles on a clutch isn't great.... 24K miles in 5 years, you barely drive it and why you likely haven't had many issues.
Well it will be over 40,000 miles when the clutch actually goes. Your correct it isnt driven much and never has been. The first owner only did around 1500 miles a year and it has always been looked after which i guess is why no problems have ever occured.
Old 16 August 2018, 02:11 AM   #74
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
Maserati resale prices tank in the first few years, but the company does offer warranties on their pre-owned autos that are as good as buying a new car. I’m still shopping around, but have had my fill of BMWs and Mercedes. I have a DB9 in Florida and a Porsche Turbo for my daily driver since selling my Mercedes. I have had very few problems with either car, and was looking around for a weekend ride.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 03:10 AM   #75
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The 430 began some reliability. 458 and current 488 and very solid cars. Anything prior to the 430 and I would agree with you.
Waaaait just a minute here. The 308, this one is a 1985 Euro-spec QV (K-Jetronic) and drove the $#!^ out of it on the track. She was very reliable. Sure did some mods along the way, yet she always worked. If you turn wrenches, these are really easy (other than removing the darn oil dipstick bit). Electrical is easy too. Did clutch work, flywheel, upgraded brakes for track use.... But yeah, she was slow as a Miata on the track, probably a small bit slower actually.

But oh that sound.... and click-clack of rowing through the gears....

Certain vintage Ferrari models are actually fun to work on imho.

But, well, yeah. Italian cars are not something you do logically.

Video Below: Was giving pass-by at T1 (lefthander) as he had faster car. He hung back as he wtd to hear the car. So at the downhill i rev her up a bit (one minute into vid)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTbd9P0NCY

Back OT.... i would not buy a Maserati. JMHO YMMV and check cost of new clutch.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Old 16 August 2018, 03:28 AM   #76
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Waaaait just a minute here. The 308, this one is a 1985 Euro-spec QV (K-Jetronic) and drove the $#!^ out of it on the track. She was very reliable. Sure did some mods along the way, yet she always worked. If you turn wrenches, these are really easy (other than removing the darn oil dipstick bit). Electrical is easy too. Did clutch work, flywheel, upgraded brakes for track use.... But yeah, she was slow as a Miata on the track, probably a small bit slower actually.

But oh that sound.... and click-clack of rowing through the gears....

Certain vintage Ferrari models are actually fun to work on imho.

But, well, yeah. Italian cars are not something you do logically.

Video Below: Was giving pass-by at T1 (lefthander) as he had faster car. He hung back as he wtd to hear the car. So at the downhill i rev her up a bit (one minute into vid)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxTbd9P0NCY

Back OT.... i would not buy a Maserati. JMHO YMMV and check cost of new clutch.
Sounds like you got a wee bit lucky yourself there. And I love the 308 and 355!

Never liked NHIS.....
Old 16 August 2018, 04:00 AM   #77
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Sounds like you got a wee bit lucky yourself there. And I love the 308 and 355!

Never liked NHIS.....
Luck, and some upgrades along the way. When i was done with her the engine needed top-end rebuild. NHIS (now NHMS) is, well, what it is. Also did WGI (lottsa fun), LRP (both before and after re-pave), Pocono (borrrrring), etc.

Still a slow car, yet she looked nice and made all the right sounds. Funny how small a 308 looks today next to modern Ferrari cars. Had her down to 2700 lbs wet with driver.

Have you driven the Tamworth track yet (Club Motorsports)?

Old 16 August 2018, 04:43 AM   #78
N421JJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
Not even close! It goes to Bentley. Look at depreciation of Bentley cars, it speaks volumes.

Isn't Maserati all the repair costs of a Ferrari yet resale of, well, a Chrysler?
Fixed that for you!
N421JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2018, 11:21 PM   #79
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N421JJ View Post
Fixed that for you!

Old 17 August 2018, 01:34 AM   #80
iLLGT2
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROO Blue Scuba
Quote:
I had an FF, every time i turned on the car i had some sort of light, was always told turn it off and back on, its a voltage issue from weak battery. had battery replaced 3 times in a year, they couldn't find any drain

it never left me mechanically stranded however i was in limp mode for a throttle sensor once, and lights all the time. drove me insane and f12 and my old mclaren too, all had so many constant electrical quirks and faults!

i loved them otherwise

my superleggera on the other hand, 25k miles now, 3 road trips in the us, haven't driven it for a month started right up and my amg gts tuned, both flawless performers with no headaches!

so these are my experiences, my FF was a daily driver for me and mclaren as well, so i logged on lots and lots of miles to know of all of the nagging things unfortunately

My RUF GT2 was flawless on and off the track as well for 9 years of abuse, 45k miles
iLLGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2018, 02:44 AM   #81
lesfield
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713LN
Quote:
Going from Aston to Maserati..... so one troublesome car to another.

As long as it's a late 2006 onwards car then the Aston should be all good.

Never had a single problem with my 2007 DB9 Volante, but I have replaced 4 x 911 engines over the years.
lesfield is offline   Reply With Quote