The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 5 August 2009, 11:03 PM   #1
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-IIC
My Ball Experience - Fireman 2 - Green - with Lume Shot

I did this review on the watchuseekforums. Thought I'd share it on the rolexforums also. Enjoy!

Before I get into my 'first impressions' review, I promise I will be posting lume shots before the end of this week. The darn thing lights up like Times Square at night.

Anyways, getting into the review now.

I have a history of collecting watches and I've owned, through my grandfather, a number of brilliant vintage pieces from Pateks to Breguets to Hamiltons.

My current lineup has completely changed because all the vintage pieces have gone back into the family safe.

I'll be frank. My everday watch is a Rolex Explorer 2 with 3186 movement, recently purchase at a decent price. I enjoy it like no other watch. However, a couple of weeks ago I came across a Ball sighting on one of my friends. He was sporting one of the Conductor series and I took some interest, asked him mad questions and finally decided I HAD to own one. I began my usual quest and landed on this wonderful Ball forum. The three watches that caught my immediate attention were, Hydrocarbon, Night Train, and Fireman. I was looking for something clean and robust at the same time. I was close to pulling the trigger on the Hydrocarbon, then decided to go for the Night Train instead, but ended with a green Fireman.

So what is my first impression? Well, Ball is a watch company under appreciated by the mass public. I actually like that cause I have hardly seen a Ball watch in the flesh on anyone but my friend, therefore its unique. I'm pretty sure there aren't any fakes available in the market, where as my EXP II has been replicated millions of times.

Going in order, I'll start with the strap. Its a nice hefty strap, durable, 21mm thick, but I wish it was a little bit more comfortable, however at that price range I'm not complaining much. I have easily gotten use to it.

Buckle, I just love it, there is nothing else to say about it. I love how its screwed in and BALL is engraved on it.

*Correction on the buckle, thanks to timefleas*
(the "screws" on the Ball buckle are not real screws, they are part of single steel buckle unit. The buckle is actually attached to the strap using the usual retracting pin that you commonly see used to attach the strap to the lugs).

The casing is smooth, robust, and expensive looking. Brush finish looks superb and the overall quality feels SOLID. I mean for a watch that cost me $780, its as good as my $2000 Tag if not better.

Caseback is the best I've ever owned. I personally prefer exhibition backs but the engraving and the design of this one is exquisite. Different than others and the attention to detail is top notch. Let me post a picture of it again because I enjoy it every time I take off my watch before bedtime.

Now we come to the lugs. I wish the band fitting was a bit more close to the lugs. I feel there is a bit too much space between the band and the lug, its something that one has to get used to, and I'm getting used to it pretty fast. Believe it or not, thats the only one complain I have about the watch.

The dial of the watch is silky black, super clean, hour markers are clearly marked. Everything about the dial screams out LOOK AT ME. I'm obsessed with green accents in a watch and this particular Ball has done it just right.

The hour, minute, and seconds hand couldn't have been done better. They've hit the mark on this one and the hint of green accent on the seconds hand is an absolute killer. I actually prefer the Fireman 2 version since the older Fireman had a gaslight on the seconds hand, given it a square like shape.

Date window is placed on the traditional 3 '0' clock position, nice and clean, with absolute readability in my case.

*ADDED*
I forgot to talk about the gaslights. So, just like any other Ball watch, this one also lights up like Times Square. I've personally never owned a watch that is this readable in the dark. I'm really enjoying it since its so different from the rest of my collection.

The overall watch feels and looks gorgeous. If this was a Tag, it would've cost $2000, Omega $3000, Rolex $4500. Ball gives you top of the line product at a reasonable price. I won't be surprised that 5 years from now, this same watch will cost $3500 brand new.

I honestly wish I could buy another Ball watch but I have to stick to my philosophy. One watch per brand.

I will be spending more time on this forum, talking more and more about my Ball experience. I'm a young Ball owner, I've got a lot to learn.

Hope you enjoyed the review.

OVERALL WATCH RATING - 9/10.

PS. Now I alternate between my Rolex and Ball throughout the week, and loving it, I even wear it with suits.

Additional Info: I have not been able to check the accuracy of the watch as of yet. Will give it a months before writing about it.

AND HERE IS THE LUME SHOT:

Old 11 August 2009, 08:21 AM   #2
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
great review and congrates.

I have also recently interested in Ball watches. Tried a green EM2 last week and was going to the trigger until I saw the green fireman on the Internet, but couldn't find the ref no for it.

Really loving the green details and the clean look of it.

Can you let me know the ref no and retail price of it? Thanks.
esm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 August 2009, 11:47 AM   #3
kelly56
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 1675 Speedy
Good timing on this thread. Just saw this watch in WATCH TIME magazine. Would like to see one up close at an AD.
Old 11 August 2009, 11:49 AM   #4
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
great review and congrates.

I have also recently interested in Ball watches. Tried a green EM2 last week and was going to the trigger until I saw the green fireman on the Internet, but couldn't find the ref no for it.

Really loving the green details and the clean look of it.

Can you let me know the ref no and retail price of it? Thanks.
I will have to look for the ref number but its normally known as Fireman 2. Retails for $999.99

I'll give one pointer. If you buy this watch over the phone you get 15% off. If you walk into an AD you can negotiate for more. Where are you located?
Old 11 August 2009, 11:50 AM   #5
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly56 View Post
Good timing on this thread. Just saw this watch in WATCH TIME magazine. Would like to see one up close at an AD.
If you are looking for something different than Ball is the answer. You being a Rolex and Omega owner will definitely appreciate the quality.
Old 12 August 2009, 05:39 AM   #6
NJSub

Watch: 16610
Wow they have some pretty awesome watches. I'll have to put them on the list for future consideration!
NJSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 12:45 PM   #7
asindhidude

Watch: SS Sub ND - 14060M
Could someone do a Rolex Sub / Ball Diver comparo? That would be super....
asindhidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 02:00 PM   #8
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
A Ball watch will be in my future.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 August 2009, 11:44 PM   #9
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindhidude View Post
Could someone do a Rolex Sub / Ball Diver comparo? That would be super....
Sub is an ultimate classic, but the lumes on the Ball divers are far superior. There is not much to compare about. Sub uses an inhouse movement opposed to a Ball's ETA movements, to me that is the winner right there.

As far as weight goes, Ball divers are heavier in comparison to subs, and sit a little bigger on the wrist.

If one was to choose a diver watch, I'd go with the no sub date any day ...
Old 21 August 2009, 07:01 AM   #10
dpj17
2024 Pledge Member

I just picked up a "Mad Cow" last month and it is awesome! Great review!
Old 21 August 2009, 11:03 PM   #11
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Mad Cow is such a beast. Superb quality watch and will last you a generation! And Ball's CEO Jeff Hess is a great guy ...
Old 23 August 2009, 01:41 PM   #12
dpj17
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresiarh View Post
Mad Cow is such a beast. Superb quality watch and will last you a generation! And Ball's CEO Jeff Hess is a great guy ...
Haven't had the opportunity to meet the CEO, but after posting some pics on WUS actually got a PM from John "Mad Cow" Hembel himself. Now I don't know anything about professional skiing and really don't care, just thought it was pretty damn cool. I actually owned the black face model 2 years ago and sold it, I think I going to hold on to the White one though!
Old 26 September 2009, 12:32 AM   #13
Putnam Dan
"TRF" Member

Beautiful. I just purchased an Alligator - cant wait to see it in person!
Putnam Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2009, 04:11 AM   #14
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Watch: I like to...
Love Ball - looking for the Nery for myself. Couple pics - hopefully I am not hijacking this thread!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BallGMT (2).jpg (54.2 KB, 431 views)
File Type: jpg BallGMT (8).jpg (24.6 KB, 430 views)

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Mosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2009, 04:26 AM   #15
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

No hijacking here.

Ball watches are highly underrated. I think one should buy 2-3 Ball watches and keep them safe because I have a feeling the prices will be going up in the next 5 years, and by that I mean double/triple price jumps. I consider the Fireman a basic model and yet its just superb at $1000.00 retail ...
Old 26 September 2009, 04:30 AM   #16
Mosco
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresiarh View Post
No hijacking here.

Ball watches are highly underrated. I think one should buy 2-3 Ball watches and keep them safe because I have a feeling the prices will be going up in the next 5 years, and by that I mean double/triple price jumps. I consider the Fireman a basic model and yet its just superb at $1000.00 retail ...
I completely agree - the quality is unbelievable and they're indeed highly under-rated.

“A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.” - Hunter S. Thompson
Old 26 September 2009, 09:35 AM   #17
HockeyBrand

I love my Night Train!

HockeyBrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 September 2009, 11:18 PM   #18
Mosco
"TRF" Member

I love it too :) sweet watch, man!

Old 30 September 2009, 01:34 AM   #19
WatchTimes
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: It's a Rolex!
I have the original dial NT as well...
It is my go to watch for hunting and camping.
I wear it on a NATO and if I wake up in the middle
of the night I can easily tell the time without bothering anyone.,
They are GREAT watches and Jess Hess (head of Ball USA) is a GREAT
guy! Ball really goes out of their way with customer service.

Kentucky Colonel, Tennessee Squire & Combat Leprechaun
WatchTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2009, 05:09 AM   #20
Brushpup
"TRF" Member

Watch: what I'm wearing
Enjoyed your review very much. I really would like to get my Dad one of these for Christmas this year.

PClub # 10
The safest place for your watch is on your wrist.
Brushpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2009, 11:40 PM   #21
Putnam Dan
"TRF" Member

The Alligator. Now this is a piece of art! I just love the way the blued hands flash when the light hits them just so.

Putnam Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2009, 12:51 AM   #22
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushpup View Post
Enjoyed your review very much. I really would like to get my Dad one of these for Christmas this year.
Secret to buying Ball watches is to walk in one of their ADs. They will give you excellent discounts .. sometimes 20%+.

For your dad ... hmmmmm .. Cleveland Express in white dial, perfect watch.
Old 1 October 2009, 12:51 AM   #23
heresiarh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putnam Dan View Post
The Alligator. Now this is a piece of art! I just love the way the blued hands flash when the light hits them just so.

I just LOVE Ball watches. I'm considering selling my entire watch line up and pick up a few more Ball timepieces.