The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2016, 01:06 AM   #31
Speed
"TRF" Member

I'd take an i8 - for free.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:06 AM   #32
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
1. AD's are collecting tons of names, there is no harm in doing so as long as they don't over-promise on delivery, which it doesn't sound like they are.
The list that I am on, the AD has stopped collecting names at 20 (both for black and white faces). I was told that there is no point in having a list of 50+ names etc, as they are not sure if they will be able to meet it (in the short term). The AD has received 3 black faces (of course all spoken for) however, I believe they are going down the list as to when the names were placed on and deposits given ($1000 - refundable).

Just a patient waiting game as Rolex will release however many they want, to whom whoever they want at their own time!
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:24 AM   #33
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I totally agree. Folks that pay over for anything even if they have the means = more money than sense. 99% of the time the money you are paying over is just like burning it. As soon as it comes out of the box or you drive it off the lot it goes back to MSRP as the base line. Folks paying $5K or more over for these are just taking that $5K and burning it just so they can say they were one of the first.

But isn't buying ANYTHING new vs pre-owned/ certified pre-owned, like burning money? The depression is far beyond msrp INSTANTLY.

Also, I wouldn't pay 5k over for something, but I have paid a little bit of a premium for some items just so I can have what I want. Sometimes ive paid for 1 day shipping on things to have it quicker than normal shipping.

The way I look at it is that tomorrow is never promised. So why not enjoy what you want (within reason), right now. Maybe it's because I have come close to not seeing tomorrow, so sometimes I want to experience something now.

I agree with you though, that when it comes to watches, I'm. It going to pay the premium. Other hobbies, possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Relyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:35 AM   #34
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

That's a crazy wait, but it's a beautiful watch!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:37 AM   #35
Nick311
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4k, AP ROC
This short supply strategy from Rolex is surely shooting them in the foot though and just fuelling the grey market. It also means people almost forced to look at alternatives.

I was 100% set on buying a Daytona but due to the reality that it was going to be years of waiting I have bought an AP instead. Obviously it cost a lot more but now that I've got one I wouldn't buy a Daytona if it was offered to me at RRP as I've moved on and now feel the AP is a better watch anyway.

A better move is surely to invest in the SS bezel and watch those prices climb in a few years once everyone has a ceramic and looks for something 'different'.
Nick311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:37 AM   #36
Goin2drt
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relyt View Post
But isn't buying ANYTHING new vs pre-owned/ certified pre-owned, like burning money? The depression is far beyond msrp INSTANTLY.

Also, I wouldn't pay 5k over for something, but I have paid a little bit of a premium for some items just so I can have what I want. Sometimes ive paid for 1 day shipping on things to have it quicker than normal shipping.

The way I look at it is that tomorrow is never promised. So why not enjoy what you want (within reason), right now. Maybe it's because I have come close to not seeing tomorrow, so sometimes I want to experience something now.

I agree with you though, that when it comes to watches, I'm. It going to pay the premium. Other hobbies, possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree with you here.
Goin2drt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:40 AM   #37
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
For all those suggesting that some people must have more money than sense, good on 'em I say!! I wish I had more money than sense, sadly I don't! And it's not as if I have a lot of sense!

Some people would argue that buying a knackered old vintage sub that costs more than a brand new superior sub is utter madness.

Different strokes for different folks.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 02:52 AM   #38
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
Speedy Pro looking more like an obtainable bargain (with gobs of history) every day!
Obtainable, sure.

Personal opinion to follow: I think Omega are trashing their brand's heritage by releasing one silly special edition after another. Sure, the Snoopy is cool and some people like the new CK2998. But for every cool special edition, there is a Bond edition, Olympic edition, some new color for a Side of the Moon, and now crazy colors for the Planet Ocean. Don't get me started on the price increases for Speedy Pros that mostly comes from the new box. I've owned numerous Omegas: Speedy Pro, couple Aqua Terras, and a Planet Ocean. I like the core pieces of the brand, but so many of the pieces they release nowadays cheapen the brand in my eyes.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:20 AM   #39
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
Obtainable, sure.

Personal opinion to follow: I think Omega are trashing their brand's heritage by releasing one silly special edition after another. Sure, the Snoopy is cool and some people like the new CK2998. But for every cool special edition, there is a Bond edition, Olympic edition, some new color for a Side of the Moon, and now crazy colors for the Planet Ocean. Don't get me started on the price increases for Speedy Pros that mostly comes from the new box. I've owned numerous Omegas: Speedy Pro, couple Aqua Terras, and a Planet Ocean. I like the core pieces of the brand, but so many of the pieces they release nowadays cheapen the brand in my eyes.

All true. Excellent points.

However, a garden variety Speedy Pro with black bezel / matte dial - strap or bracelet - is a smashing Chrono...

I say this knowing that the Daytona has a bit of mystique for many here...and I just think it's too bad about all the rigamarole to get one.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:23 AM   #40
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
All true. Excellent points.

However, a garden variety Speedy Pro with black bezel / matte dial - strap or bracelet - is a smashing Chrono...

I say this knowing that the Daytona has a bit of mystique for many here...and I just think it's too bad about all the rigamarole to get one.

Don't disagree with you at all

I loved the Omegas I've owned and I'd jump at the chance to buy a Snoopy. The Speedy Pro is the among the best watches below $5k or so, if you ask me. If buyers stick to the garden variety models, as you say, Omega is still a great pick.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:40 AM   #41
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
For all those suggesting that some people must have more money than sense, good on 'em I say!! I wish I had more money than sense, sadly I don't! And it's not as if I have a lot of sense!

Some people would argue that buying a knackered old vintage sub that costs more than a brand new superior sub is utter madness.

Different strokes for different folks.
But that knackered old sub will still go up in value while the Daytona C its doubt full.And in around 5-10 years there will be thousands or possible a million of them around just like the other Daytona launched back in 2000.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:02 AM   #42
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Some ADs have wait lists and others do not. Some ADs receive two a month and others may only receive two a year. It really depends on the size of the AD, location and customer base.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:05 AM   #43
tkerrmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: ME RACE PORSCHES
patience
tkerrmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:14 AM   #44
shs134
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the sunset....
I'd feel like a total fool putting my name on a list for a watch with 64 previous names on it and being told to expect to wait 2 years. There are plenty of fantastic watches out there with no waiting list- I really don't get the hype surrounding the Daytona C. I wouldn't put my name on a 2 year waiting list for ANYTHING............................. except a transplant organ I needed and even then I'd begrudge it!
shs134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:18 AM   #45
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But that knackered old sub will still go up in value while the Daytona C its doubt full.And in around 5-10 years there will be thousands or possible a million of them around just like the other Daytona launched back in 2000.
Fair comment Padi, bad example from me.

I really like the 116500 and don't have any regrets about buying it, and if I'm honest I'm enjoying the relative exclusivity whilst it lasts, given that I can't afford anything that is truly exclusive.

I wouldn't pay over retail but that's simply because I don't have the money to spend over the odds without having to make other compromises in my life, but if that wasn't the case then I might be prepared to. If someone was to pay £9,250 for one today, people would say they were crazy. But, if Rolex put the price up to £9,250 next month, nobody will tell people they are crazy for paying the money then! I guess what I'm saying is that we all put our own value on something, for some that may be well below retail for the Daytona (and thus will wait 2 yrs and buy one cheaper then second hand) and for others that may be above retail.

What will be interesting, is whether the constrained supply is because they are playing the 'Daytona' game, or whether the limited supply is just the same as the other sports models right now pending a price increase.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:39 AM   #46
GMT13
"TRF" Member

And yet the Daytona is awesome. Regardless of when you bought what model. Value and Attraction are in the eyes of the beholder. IMO, Coooool, a relic Daytona, smashed to bits by someone else, withering away yet people pay top dollar. Gimme the new Daytona over any McQueen model, or was it Newman? So easy to forget..If you like that snake oil, will sell you a vintage pair of Eddie Greens, with Patina.

And the Omega Spectre 300 is pretty sweet. Seriously. Have you seen the new Heuer Autavia Rindt? Some vintage redesigns aren't all that.

But to each their own.
GMT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 05:03 AM   #47
MaxTG
"TRF" Member

Doesn't cost anything to put your name on "a list". Anyone who's on one list is probably on several. And why not? The lists are also bloated with people who have no real buying interest and just want to fondle one.

These things have a way of rapidly unwinding as soon as word gets out that supply is picking up. Then everyone suddenly becomes patient and wants to think about it.
MaxTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 05:24 AM   #48
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin2drt View Post
I totally agree. Folks that pay over for anything even if they have the means = more money than sense. 99% of the time the money you are paying over is just like burning it. As soon as it comes out of the box or you drive it off the lot it goes back to MSRP as the base line. Folks paying $5K or more over for these are just taking that $5K and burning it just so they can say they were one of the first because unless they keep that for a lifetime, they will never get that money back. People do the same thing with cars just to be the first at Cars and Coffee. People that make these senseless money decisions I don't get how that same person has become so wealthy. Just go look at all the first folks that had to have a BMW I8. Can't give those away now.
I'm definitely not one to pay a premium for anything but if I was rich I would be paying a premium for anything that I liked.Why not if money is no object get what you like when you want it.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 05:33 AM   #49
nachopc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Only
You should have a look to AD's who are not in the big city's, I got mine like this. The waiting lists are not as long as if you ask in London, LA, Madrid, etc
nachopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 05:38 AM   #50
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Speedy Pro looking more like an obtainable bargain (with gobs of history) every day!
I'm with you. Dollar for Dollar the Speedy Pro is one heck of a watch. At one time I owned both the Speedy and the Daytona SS. I was vastly undwrwhelmed with the Daytona in general and it was quickly flipped. I still wear my speedy all the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-07-24 13.01.31.jpg (94.8 KB, 121 views)

Tags
116500 , waiting list