The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 8 December 2008, 04:40 PM   #1
archie42
Banned

Patek Philippe Calatrava 3944

Patek Philippe Calatrava 3944

Hello all Patek lovers.

I have just bought myself a classic Patek. It is the classic gents Calatrava in 18K yellow gold. It has the classic black strap with the 18K Patek buckle. It has the hobnail bezel. A classic white enamel dial with Romans, a date at 3 and a second’s hand. This is truly a classic Patek.

But wait….. There is 1 major flaw.

IT IS QUARTZ.

Yes – I just bought a quartz Patek Philippe Calatrava. Reference 3944.

Did I make a serious mistake? I think not.

Patek Philippe lives in the commercial world. In the early 90s a major luxury brand like Patek needed a quartz solution for retiring businessmen…. For yuppies on the rise. These are people who had gotten used to the ultra precision of their Omega Constellation 2 tone in quartz. Patek filled this niche easily with the 3944. At the time it was similar in pricing to the mechanical 3919.

You might think anyone who bought a quartz Patek is a fool. However in the 90s it was not quite that clear. The quartz was presented as the evolution of the modern age with one of the best quartz movements ever made. See the old advertisements for the 3944 and it was sold as the way of the future BUT with the tradition of the past.

Patek is not a new comer to quartz. NO – Patek was one of the founding fathers of the quartz invention. Infact Patek quartz was so technologically advanced Patek had a big market for ships chronometers. YES – many an ocean liner, super tanker from the 70s/80s/90s will have a Patek Quartz Ships Chronometer.

To describe this phenomenon it is similar today how the market is for oversize watches. But you say Patek would never do this… But Patek just killed the 3919 33mm watch in favor of the 5119 which is essential the same watch but with a clumsy 36mm watch case.

BUT hang on….. Isn’t it foolish to make a watch larger than necessary? I thought old watch making class was to make the watch as thin/small as possible. BUT Patek lives in the commercial world. So they killed the 3919 …… add 3mm and called it the 5119.

In 10 years time will people say the 36mm watch is rubbish?

Will collectors crave the 33mm 3919?

I have no idea. However I don’t think it really matters as it is still a Patek. Just like my 3944 is a Patek.

Because I bought a quartz unloved Patek model I got a substantial discount. I paid US$3800- for this watch with Patek box. If I bought a 3919 on the used market I would pay twice that price.

So buying the 3944 Calatrava I already got a huge discount. Is it really a watch without soul? I think not. It is a known fact that sex is 90% in the head and 10% physical. Perhaps you should reread those 90s adverts and regain the passion for the 3944 quartz model.

The 3944 has the potential to become wanted in the futre. I seem to remember that the Rolex Explorer 1 was not really a loved model! Even the Milgause was looked down upon. Does this mean the Patek 3944 will become the next Plastic Red Seadweller? I have no idea nor do I care.

I have a bargain Calatrava on my wrist and I am not going to think it is rubbish because somebody on a watch forum thinks I am a fool.

archie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2008, 04:47 PM   #2
archie42
Banned

I have since sold this watch and purchased a Rolex DateJust 16233 with Factory Diamond dial..... I made only $100- on this deal (so no large profit....)....

At the end of the day I could not get my head around a quartz patek.... also scraced if the movement played up and need a $$$$ patek only repair....
Old 8 December 2008, 05:22 PM   #3
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Hey Archie,

You do realise, of course, that you've been talking to yourself......until I took pity on you and decided to give you some company?

PS: That is a beautiful dress watch. Love the hobnail bezel!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 December 2008, 07:00 PM   #4
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
that is a very beautiful watch with a great name to go for it
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2008, 12:15 AM   #5
redshirt1957
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue YM today!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
Hey Archie,

You do realise, of course, that you've been talking to yourself......until I took pity on you and decided to give you some company?

PS: That is a beautiful dress watch. Love the hobnail bezel!

Archie only talks to himself. Me? I also listen and answer to myself.
redshirt1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2008, 04:11 AM   #6
GMTJOHNNY
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2007 DAY DATE 18KT
...some voices in my head told me to join in...How come Patek does not have any COSC certified chronometers? I saw they did not apply for any certificates and Rolex applies for 780,000+ certificates per year.
Are Pateks as accurate as Rolex or is it "good enough"? For their price I would think they would be well within the +4-6 rule.
Thoughts?
ROLEX AIR KING 14000 (1991)
ROLEX GMTIIC TT 116713LN (2008)
GMTJOHNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2008, 04:28 AM   #7
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
Quote:
Originally Posted by archie42 View Post

I have just bought myself a classic Patek.

Did I make a serious mistake? I think not.

Is it really a watch without soul? I think not. It is a known fact that sex is 90% in the head and 10% physical. Perhaps you should reread those 90s adverts and regain the passion for the 3944 quartz model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archie42 View Post
I have since sold this watch and purchased a Rolex DateJust

At the end of the day I could not get my head around a quartz patek.... also scraced if the movement played up and need a $$$$ patek only repair....
I'm sorry...but I really don't understand this post or your thinking? Both of these posts were written on the same day! It's almost like there are two different people writing...in less than 24 hours you go from stating your love for this watch & rambling on & on about its merits to turning around and reporting how it's been sold because essentially you didn't like it & couldn't 'get your head around a quartz patek'??? Sorry, am I missing something here?
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 December 2008, 05:08 AM   #8
Welshwatchman
"TRF" Member

It only took 5 minutes to decide to sell.

JJ you have a new rival.
Old 10 December 2008, 07:00 AM   #9
archie42
Banned

I posted this article on a Patek site quite some time again.... I spent hours writing it and I own the copywrite to it.... so I thought I would share that article with my friends here.....

As I follow up I wanted to reveal I have however already sold the watch.......
BOUGHT PATEK 3944 early October.... Sold Early November....

Enjoyed Patek for 1 month!