The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 March 2019, 12:02 AM   #1
erling
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub and TT DJ
Tips for hosting a gtg

Hello all friends.

I´m hosting a wristwatch get-together here in Iceland.
This is my first time, and probably one of the first in Iceland.
Can you my fellow members give me some tips and advice on how to host such an event. What to have in mind etc.
It will be held in a private conference room in a restaurant. I have created an event on Facebook. I will be having a giveaway watches for two members.
I was wandering....... what more should I do???
All advice and tips welcome.

Regards from Iceland.
ps. I anyone of you will be in Iceland on the 11th of March, you are welcome.
Old 11 March 2019, 01:55 AM   #2
Vince KSA
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
Greetings Erling,

I think the only 1 tip that I may offer is that on the 1000-1 chance that any TRF member may be in your neck of the woods is to please give us all more than 24 hours notice next time.

Genuinely hope that it all goes well, well done for encouraging the WIS community and please post some photos of the gathering and watches that attend.

By the way what is the give-away watch? if its a Platona I'll book a flight now.

Take care and all the best for tomorrow.
Patek Philippe 5168-G (Aquanaut Blue) - Rolex Daytona 116508 Green Dial - Rolex Submariner 116619LB ( Smurf) - Panerai 1116 (Platinum 1 of 70) - Panerai 932 Radiomir 47mm - Panerai 968 Submersible "Bronzo" - NOMOS Glashutte Club 453 Campus - SS Omega Seamaster Orange - Porsche Design GMT - G Shock Solar - Tag F1 Circa 1995 - J W Benson Circa 1950. ( F.PJ. Complication on order 👍🏼)
Vince KSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:20 AM   #3
FrankNYC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SubC & Red;JLC RDM
Good luck! And post some pics. My only recommendation would be to not make it a sit down dinner with a specific start time. Drinks and appetizers/light fare type.
This gives people an option to drop in even if they’re running late. If a sit-down dinner starts at 7 and I’m running an hour behind I probably won’t show-up (provided I didn’t rspv) but if it’s a drop in if you can event from 6-9 then I’ll still go.
FrankNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:41 AM   #4
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Did two Panerai GTGs a few years ago.Lots of fun .Sponsored by an AD.Great dinner,alcohol and conversation.Enjoy !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2019, 02:41 AM   #5
erling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince KSA View Post
Greetings Erling,

I think the only 1 tip that I may offer is that on the 1000-1 chance that any TRF member may be in your neck of the woods is to please give us all more than 24 hours notice next time.

Genuinely hope that it all goes well, well done for encouraging the WIS community and please post some photos of the gathering and watches that attend.

By the way what is the give-away watch? if its a Platona I'll book a flight now.

Take care and all the best for tomorrow.
Ooops. My mistake. It’s April 11th. In one month
Old 11 March 2019, 03:31 AM   #6
BisonHead
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,SD,DJ,OP
April 11th, thats a bit better. Was thinking a bit tight time wise.

I hope you have a great evening and post up some photos.
BisonHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 01:23 AM   #7
Dr. Robert
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1655
To the OP.....make sure you “work” the room......since you are the organizer you gotta make sure everyone is happy, introduce people to each other, make them feel welcome, you are the host.
Old 12 March 2019, 01:49 AM   #8
erling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Robert View Post
To the OP.....make sure you “work” the room......since you are the organizer you gotta make sure everyone is happy, introduce people to each other, make them feel welcome, you are the host.
Thank you all for the great tips and advice.
I really appreciate. I´ll post some photos.
Old 12 March 2019, 02:46 AM   #9
GerardoG
Banned

Watch: ALL of them
Great suggestions!!!! Have a fantastic GTG!!!!!! Let me know if I can help in any way.
GerardoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 08:05 AM   #10
Passinthru
2024 Pledge Member

Have the attendees bring some of their unwanted watch related swag and have drawings using those little numbered tickets.. Last GTG I went to I brought several magazines and catalogs I had accumulated over the years for which I had no more use. People really enjoyed "winning" those and were already planning on using them for coffee table books or to read more about a watch that they had or were interested in obtaining. It's also a good way to clean out your own closet and goes to a good cause.......another WIS.
Passinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2019, 06:47 PM   #11
erling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
Have the attendees bring some of their unwanted watch related swag and have drawings using those little numbered tickets.. Last GTG I went to I brought several magazines and catalogs I had accumulated over the years for which I had no more use. People really enjoyed "winning" those and were already planning on using them for coffee table books or to read more about a watch that they had or were interested in obtaining. It's also a good way to clean out your own closet and goes to a good cause.......another WIS.
Great idea! Thanks
Old 12 March 2019, 11:44 PM   #12
Watchflair
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I've organized and hosted a number of GTG's. Here's my two cents:

First and foremost always spell out who is paying the tab. This may sound obvious but you would be surprised. I learned my lesson once on this and that's the first and last time it will ever happen.

You need to market it and go out and actively seek people to attend. I usually search previous threads for prior GTG's in my area. I private message those that previously responded to try to drum up interest.

Location. You'll want to pick a secure location. Somewhere that you can provide privacy and seclusion away from prying eyes. Having a table of watches - expensive ones at that - gets alot of attention.

Set the stage. Let people know what to expect and what kind of atmosphere it will be. I've always tried to have a relaxed atmosphere with drinks and maybe a few appetizers. I would hold off on the dinner though - it's an already intimidating atmosphere for most. Dinner would be for those who want to go afterwards.
Old 13 March 2019, 12:30 AM   #13
erling
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I've organized and hosted a number of GTG's. Here's my two cents:

First and foremost always spell out who is paying the tab. This may sound obvious but you would be surprised. I learned my lesson once on this and that's the first and last time it will ever happen.

You need to market it and go out and actively seek people to attend. I usually search previous threads for prior GTG's in my area. I private message those that previously responded to try to drum up interest.

Location. You'll want to pick a secure location. Somewhere that you can provide privacy and seclusion away from prying eyes. Having a table of watches - expensive ones at that - gets alot of attention.

Set the stage. Let people know what to expect and what kind of atmosphere it will be. I've always tried to have a relaxed atmosphere with drinks and maybe a few appetizers. I would hold off on the dinner though - it's an already intimidating atmosphere for most. Dinner would be for those who want to go afterwards.
Thanks Jim
Old 13 March 2019, 10:03 AM   #14
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Security is a must. So do not post any time/date/location info online. Do it via pm or use something like the app Meet Ups. No one wants to attend something that has been blasted all over the net.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2019, 09:08 AM   #15
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
Enjoy your GTG!
Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote