The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 25 March 2019, 01:00 PM   #1
kached
Banned

Icon20 Talking to strangers about their watches

I don't know about you guys, but when I'm out and about, I spend most of my time staring at people's wrists. I travel a lot and spend a lot of time in airport lounges so watch spotting is the best way to kill time. I've tried to start conversations with these people about their timepieces, but most are very awkward. Once complemented a guy on his AP chrono panda, only to realize he didn't speak a word of English - boy, that was awkward. I find that rolex owners in particular dont seem to care. Im 19, so perhaps people aren't as willing to talk to me! Do you guys strike up conversations with people about their watches? Do people ever ask you about the watch you're wearing? I'd love to hear your stories :)
kached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 01:03 PM   #2
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
Admire from afar. Go to meet and greets if you want to chat. If some stranger told me nice Rolex I’d be looking over my shoulder afterwards to make sure not getting mugged.
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 01:47 PM   #3
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

I on occasion have had people come up to me and I enjoy talking with them. Usually on an airplane or club.. if walking down the street a different story.. I also have gone up to folks and started talking about their watch. Most of the time they are glad to talk. once in a while not too friendly. Usually if I show them mine.. then they realize I do not have a nefarious intent
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Jimmy Jam Jam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bleu/Noir
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmhines View Post
Admire from afar. Go to meet and greets if you want to chat. If some stranger told me nice Rolex I’d be looking over my shoulder afterwards to make sure not getting mugged.
exactly how i am as well, even if its not about watches if someone randomly talks to me out of the blue i start looking behind me and all
Jimmy Jam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:19 PM   #5
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by kached View Post
Do you guys strike up conversations with people about their watches? Do people ever ask you about the watch you're wearing?
No and no
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:23 PM   #6
derekhayden
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BBGMT
I have had people ask about my watches and it doesn't bother me. I rarely strike up conversations with others but this is situation dependent. Most people you see wearing a Rolex don't know anything about watches accept theirs says Rolex.
derekhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2019, 11:55 PM   #7
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

I've only commented on strangers watches when I see something relatively unique that only a WIS would wear. I've struck up conversations with people who were wearing a Journe, Moser and a Ressence.

Generally, as others have mentioned, I've found people wearing a Rolex or Patek aren't that into watches. Whereas I know that if I spot somebody wearing a Ressence, for instance, they are an enthusiast who I'd want to meet.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:08 AM   #8
ICUdR
"TRF" Member

I am with you buddy. I see people's watches and compliment them. Most people are WTF?!

Not all tho. I have met some very nice people that are happy to talk about watches and even take then off for me to appreciate them. Met a guy with an IWC Portuguesier Annual calendar. He took his watch off and we swapped Watches (I had a White gold Skydweller)

I get the concerns of an estranger commenting on your Rolex tho. But also depends of the context.

For example I had similar situations when flying for work. Usually fly business class. A plane is a confined space, it's likely I can afford a watch since I'm flying J, I'm wearing a good watch too. So I think in some people just don't like to be approached. Period.

I saw a guy with a Panerai Luminor 7 days. Lovely looking watch. We were in the business lounge. He wasn't interested to talk about watches.

I was approached by a guy once and he compliment my White gold annual calendar Big Pilot. Clearly he was a watch lover to know exactly what watch I was wearing.

I guess each to its own

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ICUdR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:13 AM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Tread lightly when discussing w/ strangers. While in Aruba I once complimented a gent on having the best travel watch ever made [16710]. The look of terror in his eyes was palpable and in his haste to get as far from me as possible he didn't see I was wearing the exact same watch.
Unless I know the wearer to one degree or another, I'll just admire from afar.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 01:22 AM   #10
Phrank
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ♕
If I see a nice watch, I'll say something, at the least it gets a, "Thanks", and frequently it creates a conversation, and a chance to connect with another enthusiast.
Phrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 04:31 AM   #11
turbineboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Angelus, AP, Breit
Most don't like a complement and many are wearing a nice watch as a status symbol with zero idea about anything about what engine is powering their timepiece. Guessing these are the folks who are usually worried that compliments about their watch means they might get mugged.

It happens once in a while, very seldom, where a fellow WIS might compliment another about his timepiece.

Had a gentleman (who was visiting from China on business) compliment my watch and I complemented his... at a local mall. We both took our watches off our wrist for the other to look at. The whole conversation lasted less than 5 minutes and was rather pleasant. He definitely knew his watches and once done, shook hands and never saw him again.
I can assure you I was envious of his watch while he seemed merely curious about mine. He had a Patek Phillippe World timer in white gold and I had my steel AP Royal Oak on my wrist at the time.

The only other time was a guy who complemented me on my Angelus chronodato and spoke briefly about he had owned the 215 at one point and was trying to get his hands on a 217.
turbineboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:07 AM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
I've only commented on strangers watches when I see something relatively unique that only a WIS would wear. I've struck up conversations with people who were wearing a Journe, Moser and a Ressence.

Generally, as others have mentioned, I've found people wearing a Rolex or Patek aren't that into watches. Whereas I know that if I spot somebody wearing a Ressence, for instance, they are an enthusiast who I'd want to meet.
This exactly mirrors my experience. I complemented a man who I saw in an art gallery who was wearing a Kari Voutilanian and we spoke for about 45 minutes until his wife dragged him off. On a bus in Manhattan I spotted a man wearing a Patek Nautilus 3700 who was thrilled to hear that the watch his parents had gotten him for college graduation was worth more than the cost of that education.
Most Rolex owners I've spoken to have no idea what Rolex they're wearing, probably because they were gifts.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 05:13 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
It’s definitely situational for me.

I rarely strike up a conversation with a stranger, so it’s even less likely I’d comment on a strangers watch
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 08:23 AM   #14
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
I have, but it was in a relatively safe place like a cruise. It's not just that a stranger has approached you. It's that the stranger has now marked you as having a nice watch, and all strangers in the vicinity have been put on some notice.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 08:33 AM   #15
Fredcohiba
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ 126334
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchucallit View Post
I on occasion have had people come up to me and I enjoy talking with them. Usually on an airplane or club.. if walking down the street a different story.. I also have gone up to folks and started talking about their watch. Most of the time they are glad to talk. once in a while not too friendly. Usually if I show them mine.. then they realize I do not have a nefarious intent
Fredcohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2019, 09:00 AM   #16
mr.president1
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX OMEGA
If I’m at a restauarant and I strike up a conversation with someone who has a rolex it’s usually non rolex related until one of us brings it up. Only time I feel comfortable engaging in such dialogue when I don’t know them. It’s usually after a couple drinks so no one cares.

ROLEX & OMEGA
mr.president1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 04:44 AM   #17
cardiel
"TRF" Member

If I'm in the park with my kid and I spot another dad rocking a cool watch I may strike up a conversation.....the situation is informal. However at work, where I often spot Rolex sports models on the wrists of co-workers - never! I won't say where I work, or even what I do - its not particularly relevant, other than to say it would just seem a bit corny, or unprofessional to comment on such things........but maybe thats just my hang-up.
cardiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 04:48 AM   #18
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

I was sitting next to a guy at sushi wearing a BLRO and I said something. He was a total watch guy and we chatted for a few mins. He said he couldn't believe he got so lucky. Both of our wives were unamused.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 06:49 AM   #19
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I did that before but only to people who wear watch guy's watch, like Sinn, Kobold, rare Seiko / Casio. They mostly like watch guys and won't mind talking about watches with complete strangers.

I would never do it for popular brands like Rolex, Omega, Panerai, just because I can't tell if they are watch guys or just like to wear something nice.
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 08:10 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I usually look at T&A but hey whatever helps the time pass
Old 2 April 2019, 09:15 AM   #21
FTX I
"TRF" Member

I don't do that anymore. I prefer to go to watch shops when I want to have a nice conversation. Like I did all my life in record shops. People in record shops are knowledgeable and if you love music and know what you're talking about they are the best you'll ever find for good conversations. Not the same if you stop random people in the middle of the street just because you saw them wearing a the jam T-shirt or style council or joy division and so on.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 05:11 AM   #22
bigfatpauli
"TRF" Member

Here's my expereince as a chronic "introduce myself to strangers" kind of guy. This is based on my experience approaching strangers I see not at a meet:

It depends on a watch and brand. If they are wearing a most Rolex I won't say anything as most people who wear one don't know anything about their "Submarine". The exception seems to be Explorer guys (I & II). I say to him and I've been met with someone excited about their watch.

Every Lange owner I've seen was a collector and happy to chat, so I always comment on them.

Omega and Breiting are high risk, so I don't bother. Omega owners tend to be oblivious and Breiting owners are actually pretty aggressive and all have been pretty grouchy after hearing, "Nice Chronomat."

JLC owners are always blown away that I knew what JLC was. No one ever seems to comment on JLC's but they are happy to chat, if not a little bashful.

And so on...

At any rate, most people are pretty friendly and happy to chat for a bit but really, you have to use your judgment and be okay with getting a strange looks sometimes.
bigfatpauli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:23 AM   #23
Rsubnodate
"TRF" Member

Nothing was more awkward then the time I was leaving the apple store with my new iPhone on launch day and a kid at the front of the insane line yells nice Rolex Daytona at me after I walked by. I was careful and looked over my shoulder on the way out...
Rsubnodate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:30 AM   #24
albertf
"TRF" Member

i don't see anything wrong with a small compliment (as long as you're not doing it in an alleyway/isolated area type situation). You can usually tell if they're a watch fan based on their reaction or even if they're able to recognize the watch you have on
albertf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 07:49 AM   #25
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I’m in the restaurant business and frequently have conversations with my clients that start with me saying “nice watch”...

16803. 214270. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 06:29 PM   #26
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
excellent topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kached View Post
I don't know about you guys, but when I'm out and about, I spend most of my time staring at people's wrists. I travel a lot and spend a lot of time in airport lounges so watch spotting is the best way to kill time. I've tried to start conversations with these people about their timepieces, but most are very awkward. Once complemented a guy on his AP chrono panda, only to realize he didn't speak a word of English - boy, that was awkward. I find that rolex owners in particular dont seem to care. Im 19, so perhaps people aren't as willing to talk to me! Do you guys strike up conversations with people about their watches? Do people ever ask you about the watch you're wearing? I'd love to hear your stories :)
i would hazard to guess that my wife and i are the most prolific violators of privacy and personal space when it comes to spotting watches on wrists and engaging the wearers. we have no shame. over years of doing this we have experienced the usual pitfalls mentioned by other members in this thread but keep soldiering on as we have met quite a few new friends and scored some cool watches in the process. to avoid the usual pitfalls which include frightening the watch wearer (victim) we each always carry calling cards with our names and phone numbers on them along with "vintage watch collector" boldly printed. this breaks the ice when offering our calling card while complimenting the victim. try it...get simple cards printed and carry them for those situations.

generally we will approach anyone wearing what we think is an interesting watch. however the position of the "victim" (watch wearer), setting and general "atmosphere" in which one stares or gawks at a fellow's watch plays a crucial role, and one must alter one's approach accordingly. one humorous pitfall has yet to be mentioned but we have, or i should say my wife has experienced a few times is one must be very selective of how your victim is situated. he he sitting? at a table? standing? walking? where is his watch arm? if it's dangling at his side then wait for him to change position before looking too closely or for too long. a dangling watch wearing arm puts the time piece exactly at the same height and general area of the victim's crotch.
my wife has in the past accidentally given the wrong signals to a few guys by staring and trying to scrutinize their watch, especially when in local resto bars and seaside cafes, with hilarious results. us guys must be even more careful with that lest we give off the wrong signals. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

so back to harassing the general public now that we talked of a few things to keep in mind. my wife and i can't help ourselves. we see a way-cool watch and we're gonna approach the guy, whether he likes it or not. the calling cards usually puts them at ease and if i'm alone that's what i rely on. if my wife is with me i let her make the initial approach as guys are generally more friendly to a female. if she's alone and sees something watch-wise she is so well practiced at badgering over watches she simply pulls out a card and goes for it. we have gotten many many watches this way over the years and after i make myself a cup of coffee i'll be back in this thread to post some pics and stories in a few minutes.
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2019, 10:24 PM   #27
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
this past october i was on my way to new york and waiting for the flight to JFK at the hong kong airport. i wandered into the smoking lounge and spotted a guy wearing an old Omega dive watch and started to talk to him about it (of course hoping to buy the thing but he wasn't selling). another guy walked over and joined the conversation as he also collected watches. he was from sweden. anyways this swedish guy also just left cebu and was on the way back to sweden but told me he will return to cebu by the end of the month and bring along a few older non-working watches if i would be interested in them. we traded email addresses and phone numbers and sure enough a few days after i returned to cebu he also arrived and we met up for coffee and i bought the watches he brought with him. he's a nice guy and a new friend of ours and said he will round up more old watches for us next time he's back home in sweden. here's a couple of watches we got from him. first is the Atlantic from 1954. this one is my favorite. wears large on the wrist and love the button style crown and folded oyster band.

we had our watch tech service up this old manual winder Atlantic watch and get it running like new as it is in remarkable original condition considering it's age. i forgot what movement it has but i remember it's reasonably high grade swiss and bronzish-gold color like the in-house omegas of that period. the original two-tone dial with the big sword style hands and bright red second hand really capture that 50's vibe. the Atlantic watch company still produces the worldmaster model today but what's unusual about this particular old one is the "Worldmaster" script on the dial is written as "Varldsmastarur" in swedish. we don't usually come across watches where the model names are printed in various languages according to where they are to be marketed so this is a nifty addition to our hoard along with a fun story on how we found it. approaching and talking to people is the way to go.

another watch we got from our new friend from Sweden is this funky big 60's-70's Jupiter manual wind diver chronograph. just love the colors and it's a cool survivor with no alterations. had our tech service up the movement and she's purring like a kitten. despite our lousy pics and glare the dial is in perfect condition. also got a two-tone omega pie pan from him but i gotta find the pics.

janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote