The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

View Poll Results: When did Rolex stop being tool watches?
1970-1979 25 8.47%
1980-1989 23 7.80%
1990-1999 22 7.46%
2000-2009 54 18.31%
2010-present 81 27.46%
Bah! Rolex is still making tool watches! 90 30.51%
Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 April 2019, 05:19 PM   #91
kog
"TRF" Member

The Rolex tool watches are still very much tool watches, even more so today. The SS used by Rolex today has much better properties than anything used in the past. Ceramic replaced aluminium and again because the properties of ceramic are superior to Aluminium. Sapphire crystal replaced glass/plastic again because of its superior properties. None of these materials would be considered to make a fine piece of expensive jewelry.

Because things shine or are expensive doesn't make them items of jewelry. The fact Rolex tool watches look bloody fantastic does not make them a piece of jewelry, the Rolex tool watch functions as advertised and has done so, consistently, for many decades. And its this unwavering reputation and the quality in the watch that has captured peoples imaginations and made Rolex a very desirable, luxury and iconic brand.

Its for these reasons I think Rolex is considered by many as a piece of jewelry.

I hear a lot of people ask why are Rolex so expensive, or the watches are not worth it. But what they don't realise is when you buy a Rolex you're buying into years of research and development by Rolex, you're buying into a network of trusted dealers and repair centres. After all you wouldn't buy a Farrari and take it to some back street garage to tune the engine. Rolex watches are built to a high specification and require a network to maintain peoples Rolex tool watches to that high specification. All these things and more make Rolex a rock solid, very desirable brand.

Rolex is better than jewelry!!
kog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 05:45 PM   #92
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjw View Post
Simple put, Rolex ceased making tool watches when the last steel bezel insert rolled off the line. While steel inserts will scratch, they won't break and tool watches are meant to be beat. While the ceramic are scratch resistant, they can break when hit just right. Tool watches aren't meant to have components that like that.

I don’t share this view.

The Rolex GMT was designed as a tool for pilots and I see no reason that a Ceramic bezel would compromise the ability of a Pilot to use the GMT as a tool.

The Daytona is designed as a tool to calculate speed and was primarily designed around motor racing, again, I see no reason that a Ceramic bezel would compromise the ability to use the Daytona as a tool.

The Sea Dweller was designed as a timing tool for Divers, with the HEV designed for use when saturation diving. Whilst there could potentially be a time when Ceramic could be compromised in the environment, it’s pretty long odds. And arguably, the DSSD with Ceramic is a better tool for diving than a 16600 with aluminium.

People seem to be mistaking ‘Tool Watch’ for ‘Beater Watch’.

Personally, I think the concept of ‘Tool Watches’ has been made largely redundant by digital technology, such as smart phones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 09:27 PM   #93
bluered
Banned

If use as such the DS is 100 percent tool watch. Engineered from a clean sheet !
bluered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 11:47 PM   #94
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I would say before I started collecting them. As long as I can remember, Rolex has always been a luxury brand and a status symbol. With the MSRP increases we've seen over the past decade, I would say Rolex has made a move to be an even higher luxury brand.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 12:09 AM   #95
ras47
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 BLRO
Before answering when Rolex stopped making "Tool Watches" we have to define Tool Watch. That's going to be different for everyone. For some it will be about the watch itself - the material, the complications, etc. For others it will be more about how the watch is used. I don't think we can even agree if Rolex stopped making tool watches, so when they stopped is moot.
Old 24 April 2019, 01:14 AM   #96
bjw
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
I don’t share this view.

The Rolex GMT was designed as a tool for pilots and I see no reason that a Ceramic bezel would compromise the ability of a Pilot to use the GMT as a tool.

The Daytona is designed as a tool to calculate speed and was primarily designed around motor racing, again, I see no reason that a Ceramic bezel would compromise the ability to use the Daytona as a tool.

The Sea Dweller was designed as a timing tool for Divers, with the HEV designed for use when saturation diving. Whilst there could potentially be a time when Ceramic could be compromised in the environment, it’s pretty long odds. And arguably, the DSSD with Ceramic is a better tool for diving than a 16600 with aluminium.

People seem to be mistaking ‘Tool Watch’ for ‘Beater Watch’.

Personally, I think the concept of ‘Tool Watches’ has been made largely redundant by digital technology, such as smart phones.

True, good point.
Tudor 79220N
Tudor 79260P Panda

"Opinions are like wrist watches, everyone's shows different time from the other. But all believe that theirs is accurate. "
bjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:19 AM   #97
pickettt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Shiny One
I guess the answer to the question is, “No, we can’t agree.”
pickettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 01:33 AM   #98
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickettt View Post
I guess the answer to the question is, “No, we can’t agree.”

Ha ha - spot on!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:40 AM   #99
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Id say any watch that was 5 digit, when the 6 digits came there was much more polished bits and precious materials (ceramic being one)

Not too long ago, our beloved Datejust had a fully brushed bracelet!
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:41 AM   #100
Solo118
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I would say before I started collecting them. As long as I can remember, Rolex has always been a luxury brand and a status symbol. With the MSRP increases we've seen over the past decade, I would say Rolex has made a move to be an even higher luxury brand.
Compared to AP, PP and the like, Rolex are pretty decently priced.
Solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 04:43 AM   #101
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
They never stopped being tool watches. People just don’t need them as much for tools now. Big difference.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:07 AM   #102
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Moot.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 12:03 PM   #103
sevykor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by returntorolex View Post
Which decade?

I’m going with 2000-2009 when Rolex stopped supplying anchors with the Submariner and Sea Dweller models.

When less expensive alternatives could do the same job at lesser price.

sevykor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 12:11 PM   #104
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
I’m guessing the people who do hard work and wear their watches have better things to do than respond to this query
Greg5512 is offline   Reply With Quote