The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 8 November 2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Hot Fuzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
What to do.... Any advice is greatly appreciated.

So here's the scoop...

I bought an old datejust 1603 from a neighbor over the summer. I got a fantastic deal because the watch hadn't been serviced in quite some time so I was able to factor the future service cost into the final deal price.

Fast forward to last week, while I was changing the time according to the time change the darn winding stem pulled out.......great.......now I wish I had just initially spent the money on a datejust more recently serviced.

So I brought the watch to AD and they quoted me $925.00 which includes parts. Is that reasonable? I am considering calling Riki, however I am nervous and very concerned with shipping a watch across the country.

I apologize in advance for all of the questions.

1) Any Idea what an independent watch service quote would be assuming the over haul is pretty standard?

2) The dial on my watch I am certain is not original. It is a more modern white roman numeral no lume dial. I want an original pie pan dial and authenticity. Would this be recommended, or should I just keep it as is?
-Any pie pan dial recommendations?
-Would Riki have these on hand?

3) The bracelet is a folded link jubilee and is very long, so much so, that the clasp sits way off center on my wrist. Is it possible to have links removed from the folded link jubilee?

4) Can anyone give me any tips on how to package the watch once I inevitably send it away for service? Packaging materials, UPS or USPS and how I declare insurance and prove its value.

I have no manners and I apologize for that as well. I am a newish member and haven't properly introduced myself. I'm Brian and I am crazy about Rolex watches. I have no Idea why, and my girlfriend thinks I am bizarre. Oh well.

Thank you so much all those who respond.

I have another gmt II to wear in the mean time, however I am extremely bummed because I love that old date just, it was a gift from my parents for recently graduating the police academy.
Hot Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2013, 01:43 PM   #2
tiesmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M SS Daytona
Hot fuzz,
Get in touch with Riki, send him some pictures he will tell you what you need. He is the best! No crap, just great service and fair prices, and fast turnaround time. A man you can trust.
tiesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 November 2013, 03:04 PM   #3
rmurphy
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16600
You need not have any concerns dealing with Rikki, I wouldn't send my watch to anyone but him.
rmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote