The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 July 2015, 01:21 PM   #91
carreramay
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master II
Personally, I wouldn't think twice if the salesman was wearing Rolex.

Look at it from the other side for a second.... should you wear your Rolex when purchasing a luxury car? Maybe the salesman notices your Rolex and thinks "hey, this person has a lot of money, maybe I can gouge him a bit".

Neither the OP's scenerio or mine above make a bit of sense to me. Wear your watch and don't let the implications it has on other people bother you.
carreramay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 02:52 PM   #92
joejeweler

Watch: Rolex 114060 Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by arinsd View Post
I never really though about this till now... But if my sales person had on a Rolex I would unfortunately think he's making a lot on the sales of cars.

I know this is wrong since people obtain watches in different ways... A gift or passed down from a family member. BUT nonetheless, I would still think he or she is just husseling me.
Umm,......I think you're looking at it ALL wrong........

You should more correctly be thinking that he or she was just hustling a few customers LONG BEFORE YOU!
joejeweler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 05:20 PM   #93
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchMeRun View Post
I'm in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry as a salesperson. As you know the cost of medicine is highly scrutinized and the blame always falls back on the drug company. Our customers, which are physicians, constantly complain to me about cost. However, I don't set the pricing. I'm charged with the responsibility of educating healthcare professionals, being a product expert, being a resource and growing sales in my assigned geography. If I do this well, I'm financially rewarded with bonus and commission just like any other salesman. I wear my Rolex watches without any hesitation because I am successful in my career. 99% of the doctors and nurses don't notice or could care less. The few that do notice are usually Rolex owners. For me it's about looking my best and having total self confidence. This is why I workout, watch what I eat, have my suits properly tailored, maintain proper grooming, etc. Its not about wearing an expensive watch, it's about being the best I can be and for me that happens to include a few watches from a brand that I've admired since being a teenager.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really interested in this thread, especially after I saw this post.

One of my jobs in the UK is providing driving courses for people who do your exact job.

I believe that there is a different general attitude to some things in the US compared to in the UK.

The way I view things is that there are Rolexs and Rolexs.

I think that lots of people could save up for maybe a year or two and buy a SS Sub or something similar. I've seen lots of car salesmen in the UK wearing similar watches to Subs or Speedmasters. When I present my courses I often wear a SS Sub or a SS or WG Daytona. I think more people notice a Sub because it looks like what lots of people think a Rolex looks like. Very few notice a Daytona. However, I would not be comfortable wearing a Platinum Daytona to do these courses. I suspect that more people would notice it and I would not be comfortable with this. I would be interested in your view on this by the way.

If I went into a Lexus, BMW or Mercedes dealership I don't know that I would feel the same if I saw one salesman wearing a SS Sub or GMT and another wearing a Platinum Daytona.

As I said, I think there are Roles and Rolexs. Car salesman wearing a SS Rolex watch, nice. Car salesman wearing a big yellow gold Sub or Platinum Daytona, maybe not.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 09:55 PM   #94
skippy1
"TRF" Member

Always hired a rich lawyer and never buy from a rich salesman. Or so the saying goes
skippy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 10:55 PM   #95
cferrel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Maybe the Finance manager or the guy that owns the car lot wearing a platinum Daytona because they actually make really good money by ripping off the poor.
cferrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 July 2015, 11:10 PM   #96
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Doesn't bother me.
Old 4 July 2015, 11:21 PM   #97
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Wow, this thread is getting a lot of action.

As a lifelong MB driver I never cared what my sales person was wearing. However, after reading this thread, if my salesperson was wearing a very nice suit with a g-shock or something like that, that would make me think. In my opinion not very tasteful(with a suit), as I would like to value their opinion.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 01:38 AM   #98
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It depends on the product that is being sold...

Lexus, MB, BMW are still very price sensitive brands as a lot of their buyers are REACHING into a luxury product that they can just barely afford through tight deals or subsidized leases...so this buyer will notice a Rolex on a salesperson and think that they are being bilked...

Now with the Supercar brands, the buyers can afford whatever they want and the adversarial relationship between customer and salesperson is less intense...so a Rolex or whatever will probably be oblivious to the buyer..

This apples to B2B sales as well. Selling to major retailers like Walmart or Home Depot? Leave your Rolex behind everytime....It will blow your deal..guaranteed.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 02:37 AM   #99
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by carreramay View Post
Personally, I wouldn't think twice if the salesman was wearing Rolex.

Look at it from the other side for a second.... should you wear your Rolex when purchasing a luxury car? Maybe the salesman notices your Rolex and thinks "hey, this person has a lot of money, maybe I can gouge him a bit".

Neither the OP's scenerio or mine above make a bit of sense to me. Wear your watch and don't let the implications it has on other people bother you.
There may be something in what you say.

I've been to some shops and have been disappointed by how I have been treated when wearing a Seiko or Tag. Gone back again wearing a Rolex and been treated differently. To me the sales person has seen a Rolex and assumed that I have enough money to be taken seriously. I'm not saying that this is right, but that is what I've read into the situation. If I think the price is high because of what I wear I walk away! I always think that the seller wants to, or needs to sell something more than I want to buy it so I have a degree of control in the situation.

If wearing a certain watch makes you uncomfortable because of how it might make others feel about you, don't wear it. You have to be comfortable wearing a watch or you won't enjoy it as much as you should.
ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 02:41 AM   #100
Flyfisher
"TRF" Member

I do not think twice about a luxury car sales person wearing a Rolex. It shows me that they are good at what they do and are successful. I certainly do not begrudge a car salesperson (or anyone else, for that matter) reasonable compensation for their efforts. How they choose to spend that is entirely their call.
Flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 02:43 AM   #101
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
im sure lexus do a branded watch ...best of all worlds .
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 03:11 AM   #102
jelizalde
"TRF" Member

I got into the biz when I was 19, sold cars for 5 years, and all our mgrs wore rolex. When I got my first I never took it off. I was 20. For me it showed success and strength to my peers, and to my customers I hope it showed a sign of class and professionalism that set me apart from the rest of the jacks! ;)
Wear urs with pride brother and depending on the customer, rely on ur skill set to play up or play down the bluesy!
jelizalde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 04:17 AM   #103
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
It depends on the product that is being sold...

Lexus, MB, BMW are still very price sensitive brands as a lot of their buyers are REACHING into a luxury product that they can just barely afford through tight deals or subsidized leases...so this buyer will notice a Rolex on a salesperson and think that they are being bilked...

Now with the Supercar brands, the buyers can afford whatever they want and the adversarial relationship between customer and salesperson is less intense...so a Rolex or whatever will probably be oblivious to the buyer..

This apples to B2B sales as well. Selling to major retailers like Walmart or Home Depot? Leave your Rolex behind everytime....It will blow your deal..guaranteed.
I wasn't "reaching" when I bought my 4 series. Do you just say ridiculous things to get a reaction or are you that out of touch? I count two unnecessary comments on this thread already from you.

Most of us could care less what watch a salesman wears and as the mods pointed us, the average person is never going to comment on or recognize a Rolex to begin with. You must live in some bygone era of decorum that none of us do.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 04:26 AM   #104
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Fleetlord out touch????
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 04:30 AM   #105
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Annoying salesman turns me off including local (FL) dealership owners showcasing in their mediocre TV commercials on Bright House network.
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 05:42 AM   #106
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Maybe if it was an ICE GMT or a Platona I'd expect to have to grab my ankles..
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 05:47 AM   #107
DPE
"TRF" Member

I sell. I drive a nice car and have had comments from some customers that we must be charging too much because of the car.My answer is always the same. It shows you are trading with a strong succesful company, I work hard and will support them and be fair with price and support.
If wearing a Rolex is your style then wear it, if it is over the top to your clients and not able to justify then dont. Getting the next order is important, it also helps to buy your next Rolex.
DPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 05:47 AM   #108
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I wasn't "reaching" when I bought my 4 series. Do you just say ridiculous things to get a reaction or are you that out of touch? I count two unnecessary comments on this thread already from you.

Most of us could care less what watch a salesman wears and as the mods pointed us, the average person is never going to comment on or recognize a Rolex to begin with. You must live in some bygone era of decorum that none of us do.

Don't waste your time. It defines troll.
Old 5 July 2015, 05:52 AM   #109
jot_
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer I 214270
I really wouldn't care. I recognize some people have made the argument that it shows their salesperson is successful and must be good at their job. If it was a doctor, lawyer or other similar type of professional, I think it would have an impact. When I'm buying a car though - my concern is getting a car at the best price possible, how good or successful the salesperson is really does not matter to me.
jot_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 05:55 AM   #110
forgedblades
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV/CokeGMT II
I personally have worn my Rolexes everyday when selling golf equipment in a retail environment. I weal short sleeve golf polo's so it is out there for all to see. While I only wear my LV sub or my GMT II coke I have never had an issue with someone looking at it and commenting negatively. In fact I think it has helped me build a relationship with other "high end" customers. That being said I think most people do not even notice and it never enters their minds that "this guy selling me this stuff makes too much money." I think most people pay it no mind and if it is noticed, it is noticed by someone who knows the brand or is into watches and generally leads to nice conversations about watches.
forgedblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 06:28 AM   #111
hunterp27
Banned

Watch: WG 18039 Day/Date
I think us/we as Rolex owners tend to be over sensitive about this topic. I believe we over estimate the actual number of people that notice what we wear. Especially at a high line car lot like Lexus, the potential buyers are of an income level that if they do notice, it's a 1 in a 1000 chance they would care.....
hunterp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 06:41 AM   #112
dysondiver
"TRF" Member

Watch: my fins
try being self employed and buying a rolls royce ,,, even an old 5k one , i did it once and watched my business half in two months ,,, sold the roller , bought a volvo at twice the price , and the rise was as fast as the fall ,,,,

some folk are funny about some things.
dysondiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 07:48 AM   #113
cdnwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
No could care less.
Old 5 July 2015, 07:52 AM   #114
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Don't waste your time. It defines troll.
You are right.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 08:31 AM   #115
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post

You're right. Quite a few people could care less about the watch a salesperson wears. Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others are of the same mindset. I've seen plenty of sales relationships blown over the buyer counting the salespersons money...at all levels of account management.

It's important to use discretion when in these positions.

Enjoy your 4 series...it's great transportation.
Old 5 July 2015, 08:37 AM   #116
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysondiver View Post
try being self employed and buying a rolls royce ,,, even an old 5k one , i did it once and watched my business half in two months ,,, sold the roller , bought a volvo at twice the price , and the rise was as fast as the fall ,,,,

some folk are funny about some things.
Exactly right. In sales and account management it's important to use discretion on how much you show your customers, especially in price sensitive industries...

That's reality guys....The above is living proof...
Old 5 July 2015, 08:41 AM   #117
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairdude1 View Post
I am hairdresser and choose to wear only my EXI when I am with guests. When I have ONLY office time I will the others in my collection.
That answers my pm to you! I'm also in the business and always wear my watches. Since flipping my tt's only enthusiasts notice my 1665. It wouldn't worry me if a salesman wore a great watch. I'd rather be around successful people!!
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 09:46 AM   #118
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
You're right. Quite a few people could care less about the watch a salesperson wears. Just because you don't, doesn't mean that others are of the same mindset. I've seen plenty of sales relationships blown over the buyer counting the salespersons money...at all levels of account management.

It's important to use discretion when in these positions.
It's just common sense. I doubt most of us that wouldn't have a problem with it aren't aware that others might. Just because it wouldn't bother me if the salesman had a Rolex on doesn't mean that if I was the salesman I would wear one.
Old 5 July 2015, 01:59 PM   #119
le_baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm800 View Post
the only time wearing a rolex is bad is when your the guy that makes sure everyone knows you're wearing one.

+1
le_baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 July 2015, 01:59 PM   #120
jets
"TRF" Member

All of this is in your head. It matters when you're conscious of it. I sell myself everyday being self-employed. It gets old. Just wear whatever and call it a day.

This type of thing used to bother me and now it doesn't. I'll go out on a call and wear a Deepsea without even realizing it now. I just replaced my citizen daily driver for an Omega X33 Skywalker because I just realized no one cares. Wear what you want life's too short. If a client or whoever notices it I downplay it and almost make them feel dumb for commenting on it if I sense there's something behind the comment.
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote