The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 2 October 2015, 07:55 AM   #91
bjavor
"TRF" Member

I've got my first Rolex today, a BLNR. It's gorgeaus :) However I spent ages debating between that and the SubC. And in fact I have resolved to eventuelly get the SubC as well. Unless I somehow change my mind for the SD4K...

The thing is, I _really_ like the fact that the SubC has no date. I don't remember if I ever wanted to check the date on any watch and just love the simple, clean and symetric design of the SubC. But reading a lot of discussions like this one, I'm not getting unsure. A great many people seem to be very attracted to the SD... What's your take on the date breaking the symetry?

Also a date without a cyclops feels like a compromise to me. I love that the lack of cyclops makes the face cleaner, but then there's the date "ruining" things... :) It also seems to me that Rolex themselves might have thought that the date is not an important feature on this watch and that's why they did not inlcude the cyclops. But then why leave the date at all? Or, am I overanalysing/overreacting and the date is something one get's used to?

And on a secondary note: Unfortunately the shop I went to did not have an SD so I could not compare it to the Sub, but everybody seems to be hating on its lugs... Why? They did not look big to me at all in the shop. Also on every picture I've seen so far comparing the two watches the difference seemed at best negligable... Now, I'm coming from a 44mm Omega Dark Side of the Moon (love that too, btw) and the Rolex actually seems almost tiny in comparison to it. (While the Omega never felt too big on my wrist) Maybe that's why the Sub did not seem to bother me?
bjavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2015, 07:57 PM   #92
MahdiyaDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
I like that mine has a date without the Cyclops. When I glance at the time I read it just fine and the date window doesn't really ruin the symmetry, is it a compromise? Only if your eyesight needed the magnification to begin with. Otherwise, I'll take my chances on reading the date without.

I love the No date subs, except for the latest one. The lugs are the deal breaker, and all of the newer pieces with that same maxi case have put me off.

I came from 47mm and 44mm watches, and I have small wrists, so the SDc suits me fine in terms of diameter. The thickness some would say takes getting used to, and the ceramic NDC is flatter, but I felt even with the thickness the proportions are better.

You might want to wait until you can compare side by side both the watches. Photos seem negligible, but the devil is in the details, there's a reason why so many love their SDc and I think try it out for yourself to see if you fall into that category.
MahdiyaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2015, 08:11 PM   #93
MahdiyaDad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea-Dweller
sorry my post above was in reply to the post before that
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjavor View Post
I've got my first Rolex today, a BLNR. It's gorgeaus :) However I spent ages debating between that and the SubC. And in fact I have resolved to eventuelly get the SubC as well. Unless I somehow change my mind for the SD4K...

The thing is, I _really_ like the fact that the SubC has no date. I don't remember if I ever wanted to check the date on any watch and just love the simple, clean and symetric design of the SubC. But reading a lot of discussions like this one, I'm not getting unsure. A great many people seem to be very attracted to the SD... What's your take on the date breaking the symetry?

Also a date without a cyclops feels like a compromise to me. I love that the lack of cyclops makes the face cleaner, but then there's the date "ruining" things... :) It also seems to me that Rolex themselves might have thought that the date is not an important feature on this watch and that's why they did not inlcude the cyclops. But then why leave the date at all? Or, am I overanalysing/overreacting and the date is something one get's used to?

And on a secondary note: Unfortunately the shop I went to did not have an SD so I could not compare it to the Sub, but everybody seems to be hating on its lugs... Why? They did not look big to me at all in the shop. Also on every picture I've seen so far comparing the two watches the difference seemed at best negligable... Now, I'm coming from a 44mm Omega Dark Side of the Moon (love that too, btw) and the Rolex actually seems almost tiny in comparison to it. (While the Omega never felt too big on my wrist) Maybe that's why the Sub did not seem to bother me?
MahdiyaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2015, 09:24 PM   #94
belligero
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjavor View Post

I like your reasoning.

As much as I like some aspects of the Sea-Dweller, I think the Submariner is the better watch for anyone who's not doing saturation dives below 300 m on heliox. It's slimmer, wears better, and the lugs — though I'd prefer they were more like the Sea-Dweller's — are still just fine.

As much as I love the plexi-esque raised crystal's profile, the somewhat awkward date display with its amputated Cyclops is the probably main reason I'm just not warming up to the watch as much as I'd hoped. If you're already having doubts about it, then there is no doubt.

The Submariner design just works better on the wrist.
belligero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 October 2015, 09:43 PM   #95
Gasoil4ever
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post

Honestly the only modern Rolex that interests me at all, except maybe a DJ-II.

This.
Old 2 October 2015, 11:34 PM   #96
Malbolge
"TRF" Member

If the thickness doesnt put you off, the shorter lugs and you really need the date, I cant imagine what would be a reason not to get it. I dont like the tiny date window and most of all how fat it is compared to the sub. I wear my watch with everything - suit, tshirts, etc. So on that angle, SD was not for me, but I find it nice alternative. In reality its not much different, just chunkier and less common. the last bit is huge advantage imho.
Old 12 October 2015, 09:08 AM   #97
joejoe1225
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX
SDC - 4000 is one of the Best!!!
Old 12 October 2015, 09:19 AM   #98
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
I think the DSSD is an amazing watch. Just a little big for an everyday watch. The sub is a classic and you can wear it everyday. No problem.
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 10:00 AM   #99
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Anyone here regret SDC4000 purchase?

Double post
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 10:03 AM   #100
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Anyone here regret SDC4000 purchase?

Enjoying mine more and more. My GMT C is a better daily watch since I wear business attire, however the SDc is proving very useful on weekends, particularly now in the warmer weather where I am choosing to wear it over my BLNR with short sleeves (less flashy and overall a more precise fit).

Comparing the SD4k to the SubC is easy: I prefer the more classic on wrist look of the Sea-Dweller. The shorter lugs contribute here and the case back bubble sort of makes the watch fit better on my wrist (compared to the flatter SubC).
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 10:36 AM   #101
whysleep
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV/SD4000
I love how the deep sea and the sea dweller look... It gets better with age. I dont regret it.
whysleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 October 2015, 03:10 PM   #102
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Gawd no.... Had a DSSD but flipped for a SD4000. I would have purchased the SD4000 initially if it were released when I purchased the DSSD.

No regrets at all.

Sheldon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12 October 2015, 04:48 PM   #103
B737
Banned

Watch: Rolex BLRO
I loved the idea of a new version of the iconic SD. I never got it to sit comfortable on my wrist though... I ended up trading it for a BLNR and its instant love...
B737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 09:47 PM   #104
Pmt2
"TRF" Member

The SD has a special feel to it. It's a solid and classy piece. It feels like everybody has a sub these days. The SD is more exclusive in my honest opinion.
Pmt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 10:15 PM   #105
xlarge
"TRF" Member

Watch: an extinct 116600
I have had mine for more than two years now and every single morning I can't wait to put it on. No regrets whatsoever.
xlarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 11:56 PM   #106
Foxglove
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Not for one second. I love the SDc4K and do not see myself ever flipping it. It's consistently on my wrist and is very comfortable. And glidelock = amazing.

Foxglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 12:02 AM   #107
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Head to head, I've always preferred the sub.

But, having said that...I bought a DSSD this year and have just loved it. Really bought it for the D-Blue dial, but, the tick marks going all the way around the bezel, the no cyclops date window...these things have really grown on me.

I guess, bottom line, I would say if you like the SD better, than by all means, do the flip. I think best case scenario would be to own both, but, if that's not an option, then a man's got to do what a man's got to do...
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 12:07 AM   #108
porschedude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I don't think you could go wrong with either choice, I could see owning both of them in the same collection but I couldn't let my sub go for one.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 12:33 AM   #109
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
I just ordered one yesterday. I have had a love affair with my 16600 since 2003. Recently I've contemplated selling the 5 digit for a new Ceramic model. In the end I said, heck you only live once and my stupid friend kept showing me his new 116600 and I broke down and ordered one. The watch's subtle differences over the Sub C date makes it something special.

Right now I'm actually thinking of paying for it and taking delivery in Feb and having this 4000 ft diver as a gift to myself for my 40th.
Old 14 September 2016, 12:53 AM   #110
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
I regretted my purchase since it had the new gloss dial....couldn't get over it, liked the old satin one better so sold it.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:09 AM   #111
Trailblazer
"TRF" Member

Watch: es
Love my SD4
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 02:35 AM   #112
orynni
"TRF" Member

Still contemplating flipping my sub for a SDC. Just wanted to know if anyone had any negative feedback on the watch. Most on the forum give very positive reviews which is great, but wanted to hear from the other side. Thanks in advance.

orynni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 02:54 AM   #113
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Both are good. Just try them on side-by-side. They are similar but slightly different pieces. Decide which one appeals to you
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 02:58 AM   #114
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerF View Post
Right now I'm actually thinking of paying for it and taking delivery in Feb and having this 4000 ft diver as a gift to myself for my 40th.

Good idea!

But...... Can you hold for 4-5 months?
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 02:58 AM   #115
drgoro
"TRF" Member

I never got along with it, I got rid of it pretty quickly. It was like a chick that ticked all the right boxes, but still had something you couldn't quite put a finger on that made it a no go.
drgoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:04 AM   #116
Bond77
"TRF" Member

Rolex should just make the date window the same size and shape as the opposite rectangular marker, and center the date numbers. Date function + symmetry = WIN
Bond77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 03:50 AM   #117
WAK4
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Always changing
Nope, no regrets. Grabbed it as soon as it landed at my AD and have not looked back.

It's my "not going anywhere, if you see it listed for sale I am in financial trouble" watch.
WAK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:12 AM   #118
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
The OP asked this question a year ago. I wonder what the decision was.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:13 AM   #119
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
I regretted my purchase since it had the new gloss dial....couldn't get over it, liked the old satin one better so sold it.
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:25 AM   #120
41sub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES77 View Post
The OP asked this question a year ago. I wonder what the decision was.
I did flip my black subc date for the SDC and it was a great decision. I love everything about the watch especially the more tapered lugs. I do own a 116610LV, so it is a nice change of pace from that watch. No regrets at all.
41sub is offline   Reply With Quote