The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2016, 04:39 AM   #121
phillycheez
"TRF" Member

It doesn't wear as thick as the specs. The case back sinks into the wrist which to the eye makes the case side profile much thinner than the specs suggest.

The 1mm top hat crystal adds depth to both the side profile and when you look straight on. One of the sweetest characteristics is at night.. The lume reflects off the sides of the crystal... Very cool.

If you like the slimmer style of the old sub cases you will feel more at home with the SDC.

The dial is perfection. I thought I wanted a more matte dial but really the satin look fits the shiny ceramic bezel perfectly. The dial can change from a grey to brown to a deep black. The crystal reflections makes the dial give off a glossy look at times.

Then there's the HEV that breaks up the side casing giving it just another characteristic exclusive to the sea dwellers in the Rolex line.

The graduated bezel is what sealed it for me.. I've been wanting a Rolex with this kind of bezel since I ever laid eyes on a 5517. This is the first modern Rolex with WG hour markers that did it for me.

The SDC has characteristics I enjoyed about owning vintage subs but everything is upgraded to modern technology.

I love this watch. It's a keeper.
phillycheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 06:50 AM   #122
warrior
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Precisely. This is the primary reason why I prefer the SDC over the SubC. Funny that no one on the forum talks about this. So many people talk about the lug width on these watches; that's neither here nor there for me in terms of aesthetics.

The SubC IMO appears too "flat", like a plate head on. The SDc has more of that cool "sloped" dome look, for lack of a better word, even though it has a flat crystal.

Also, even though the SDc does not have A/R coating ( like the rest of the Rolex line up), there's less glare on the SDc. (i.e. the dial is more visible) I think it has to do with the slightly smaller and thicker diameter crystal that's better at cutting the glare..... and having more of a matte/satin black dial that isn't as reflective as the all gloss look of the SubC. That's HUGE for me as well...since my main gripe with Rolex is lack of A/R coating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillycheez View Post
It doesn't wear as thick as the specs. The case back sinks into the wrist which to the eye makes the case side profile much thinner than the specs suggest.

The 1mm top hat crystal adds depth to both the side profile and when you look straight on. One of the sweetest characteristics is at night.. The lume reflects off the sides of the crystal... Very cool.

If you like the slimmer style of the old sub cases you will feel more at home with the SDC.

The dial is perfection. I thought I wanted a more matte dial but really the satin look fits the shiny ceramic bezel perfectly. The dial can change from a grey to brown to a deep black. The crystal reflections makes the dial give off a glossy look at times.

Then there's the HEV that breaks up the side casing giving it just another characteristic exclusive to the sea dwellers in the Rolex line.

The graduated bezel is what sealed it for me.. I've been wanting a Rolex with this kind of bezel since I ever laid eyes on a 5517. This is the first modern Rolex with WG hour markers that did it for me.

The SDC has characteristics I enjoyed about owning vintage subs but everything is upgraded to modern technology.

I love this watch. It's a keeper.

Last edited by warrior; 14 September 2016 at 08:09 AM.. Reason: additions
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 08:06 AM   #123
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41sub View Post
I did flip my black subc date for the SDC and it was a great decision. I love everything about the watch especially the more tapered lugs. I do own a 116610LV, so it is a nice change of pace from that watch. No regrets at all.
That's a great combo
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 01:02 PM   #124
JP(Canada)
"TRF" Member

Have had two subC's and never bonded with them, plus I got tired seeing the same watch everywhere in the wild. The SDc4000 is perfection.
Old 14 September 2016, 05:33 PM   #125
TheHulkManiac
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116515LN

I've had four submariners and i eventually flipped all of them. I flipped 16610, 16610LV, 116610, 116610LV because personally the submariner gets too plain after a while. I am also not a fan of the submariner's lug. I eventually settled down on the SD4K and i love everything about this watch

Rolex Rose Gold DaytonaC 116515LN
Rolex Sea Dweller 4K 116600
Rolex GMT Master II 116710LN
TheHulkManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 06:13 PM   #126
N_Swe
"TRF" Member

Have hade mine for a while now. No regrets what so ever.

A perfect balance between classic sub-style and unique substantial tool watch. The semi matte and maxi dial together with a case that is true to its SD-origin.

The Perfect Sport Rolex.
N_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 06:20 PM   #127
N_Swe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokedog View Post
I'm a newbie. Everyone keeps referring to the matt dials. I looked at loads of photos and can't tell what the matt dials are. Everything looks the same as my SubC apart from the extra markings on the bezel.
Here you are:

N_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 07:05 PM   #128
Kippers
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K, BLNR, Hulk
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41sub View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I guess my main concern is the thickness vs the subc. Any problems with wearing under a cuff?
I have my shirts made and allow an extra half inch on my watch wrist cuff. Slips under the cuff no problem. Go for it!
20160608_162039.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Kippers is offline   Reply With Quote