The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2016, 01:46 PM   #31
Smarties
"TRF" Member

There're watches at different price point. They're for different style/activities/purpose.

Tudor is a no fancy and practical brand that I admire!

I wear Omega, Seiko, G-Shock, and Rolex. And I love them all.
Smarties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:52 PM   #32
S0041464
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
People looking down on Tudor and "starter rolex models"

Did you listen to them? Who are you trying to make happy?
Love the explorer for reasons you said. Even your snow flake pictured. Personally I would like the north flag one day.
Also I think it's funny you heard that about the sub? The added date window is not that unattainable when comparing the cost of non date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
S0041464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 01:54 PM   #33
Danny83
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yellow Gold
When I was @Marthas Vineyard 2 years ago a guy told me Tudor is for people that cant afford a Rolex .....that is not true I have a Rolex and I actually want a bronze Tudor so some people are not educated but I forgive them.
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 02:00 PM   #34
joli160

Watch: Yachtmaster
I don't really recognise this, see a lot of incoming Tudor threads which receive lots of positive responses. Same for the Submariner, much liked here
Old 5 August 2016, 02:16 PM   #35
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny83 View Post
When I was @Marthas Vineyard 2 years ago a guy told me Tudor is for people that cant afford a Rolex .....that is not true I have a Rolex and I actually want a bronze Tudor so some people are not educated but I forgive them.
There are many "pretentious" people out there who try to put other people down for no good reason and pretend they are better than others. Don't let these people get to you. Tudor makes some great watches and even the least expensive Rolex watches are made to very high Rolex standards.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 02:17 PM   #36
BigAl72
"TRF" Member

Watch: D-Blue, GS SBGE001
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
I just buy what I like and don't care what other people think.
Agree 100%

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
BigAl72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 02:27 PM   #37
Syed117
"TRF" Member

I see it from time to time.

We can't say because it's completely hypothetical, but I imagine things would be very different if Tudor was not owned by rolex. If it was its own brand.

Never been a fan of Tudor personally, but what we do see a lot more of is every other brand being disregarded when compared to rolex. Most people here are fairly supportive of Tudor.

Wear what you like and don't be worried about what others have to say.
Old 5 August 2016, 03:03 PM   #38
Rockland
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I don't think of cars in those terms, either. An S class is too big for me, whether I can afford it or not, so I'd still choose a smaller Mercedes. I used to drive an ML350, and it wasn't as if I chose it over the GL350 because of price. I wanted the smaller footprint, and I almost wished I'd gone with the even smaller GLK.

Some people buy up the model line of cars/watches because of status, and others buy what suits their needs. I'd personally take a Sub over a DayDate, regardless of cost.
I am 6'5"....unforunately I need the S...
Rockland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 03:06 PM   #39
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
That half blue DSSD was much maligned when it came out and now everyone loves it.
True enough.
I remember referring to it as the Deepseaweed because of the green printing on the dial.
I have to admit that is was a detractor at first based upon the press release pics. The watch sort of had a gimmicky aura about it and everything else surrounding it.

Then I saw one in real life at the local AD and I realized I was so(and wrongly) prejudiced about it.
To me the watch stands on its own merits and exceeds the marketing hype.

I say disregard the prejudice and wear whatever one likes.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 05:08 PM   #40
Punishher7
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC/Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Don't see it as a "starter" Rolex at all. I have no particular evidence to support this but it wouldn't surprise me if more people get to Tudor through Rolex than the other way around.
This is my story. I knew little about and had zero interest in Tudor till long after I had my subc. They are VERY different watches but both great for what they are. The only watches I truly can't take serious are homages or fakes. Aside from that they all have value to me.
Punishher7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 05:25 PM   #41
ColdFusi0n
"TRF" Member

"explorer 1 and no date sub being something you only buy if you cannot afford a sub or date version"

Wow that is one of the most ridiculous statement someone could ever say. It probably came from someone who is too negative yet envious because they couldnt afford one.

In my opinion the Explorer 1 is a very simple and casual watch for everyday use, just like a stainless steel Date Just. As for the sub, man i always loved the No Date Submariner especially if it has a Nato strap on. Besides, the no date and 16613 sub are around the same value. No date sub is probably one of the most classy adventure - out door watch.

But at the end of the day, if someone judges a person's self worth from the watch they wear then its rather sad. There will never be someone who has the best watch. A rolex owner might look down on a Tudor or Tag Heuer owner but remember, there will always be another mountain higher..have you heard of AP, Patek Phillipe, Richard Mille..at the list goes on.
ColdFusi0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 05:48 PM   #42
sitka39
"TRF" Member

Tudor is awesome. Maybe some people are just envious...
sitka39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:31 PM   #43
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Josh, who cares what others think and say. I recall you sold your stunning BLRO because you thought it was too flashy at work or as a daily. Correct me if I am wrong, but that lead you to buying the Tudor and whatever else you are buying. Now, you get some snot telling you these negative remarks of your new purchases that I see you adore. Enjoy what you have, my father always said, people are not always happy of your successes, but are ecstatic of your failures. So, enjoy what you have, be faithful in your own decisions and aim to please yourself. Don't worry about anyone else, otherwise you will be constantly second guess yourself your whole life.

1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:34 PM   #44
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Josh, who cares what others think and say. I recall you sold your stunning BLRO because you thought it was too flashy at work or as a daily. Correct me if I am wrong, but that lead you to buying the Tudor and whatever else you are buying. Now, you get some snot telling you these negative remarks of your new purchases that I see you adore. Enjoy what you have, my father always said, people are not always happy of your successes, but are ecstatic of your failures. So, enjoy what you have, be faithful in your own decisions and aim to please yourself. Don't worry about anyone else, otherwise you will be constantly second guess yourself your whole life.

Well said!
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:39 PM   #45
S0041464
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post

Easy to say but hard to do. A mantra worth reading each morning.

S0041464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:44 PM   #46
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There are a lot here that look at watches thru Rolex blinders.
That's said. There a whole world of fine watches out there.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:22 PM   #47
japenney
"TRF" Member

Watch: undecided
Hey guys. I can see now that this thread was not necessary just to point out a few bad apples. We have an amazing community here. Perhaps this thread generates some positive discussion anyway. Well I'm off to bed after a long night shift. Have a great day everyone.
japenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:27 PM   #48
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I think the intentions of the post were good, but seems a bit dramatic. I can't recall ever seeing this, other than maybe people arguing if a Tudor is a Rolex.
Seems much ado about nothing...buy what you like
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:32 PM   #49
eco8gator
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5060/a
Ignorant things people say....we also call those opinions and we are all entitled to them.

I personally like Tudor but am only willing to put money towards their vintage 40mm submariners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
I just want to say that I have seen a couple of comments with people looking down on Tudor and entry level rolex like "I would not wear a Tudor because it would be like I couldnt afford a Rolex". Along this same vein there have been comments about the explorer 1 and no date sub being something you only buy if you cannot afford a sub or date version.

I appreciate the Tudor brand and all Rolex models for different reasons ! I remember last year I had a sub, Daytona, and explorer 1 in my collection and many people told me to get rid of the explorer because it adds nothing, for example. I argued that it added a simple clean watch but many did not think it deserved a place?

Well I guess the purpose of this post is that we should try to stay positive and embrace the diversity in peoples collections and the choices they make. Now here is a picture of my new favorite watch :).

Stay positive :)

Have a great evening,

Josh
eco8gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:43 PM   #50
NeedlessKane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1991 14060 Sub
Unless something has changed in the past few months I've NEVER seen anyone on this board ever scoff at a Tudor or a no-date sub.

In fact, the No-Date sub is probably one of the most highest regarded watches on this board, at least from my experience.

I have an early '90s Tudor chronograph that I love - wearing it today actually.
1992 Omega Speedmaster Pro
NeedlessKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:45 PM   #51
nick c
Banned

I own many watches including this 4 pieces and love them as equally
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.0 KB, 328 views)
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 09:57 PM   #52
shs134
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the sunset....
I haven't noticed this ' one upmanshhip ' on this forum tbh. Plenty of people out there who can afford a collection of Rolexes but don't own one and there are plenty of people out there who scrimp, save and sell their children to own a Rolex for the perceived prestige and 'image' they want it to portray.

My point is that the watch you wear is neither a indicator of wealth or social standing. People that think otherwise tend to be the ones who look down their nose at cheaper brands or references.

It would be interesting to see how many of these people would buy a black bay if it was branded ' Rolex' and not their current Rolex if it was branded Tudor.....
shs134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 10:01 PM   #53
irish john
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex ,PP
explorer1 and 114060 sub ,,, both super watches
irish john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 10:06 PM   #54
DallasCig
"TRF" Member

Great post. Being happy and appreciative of what you have is all that matters. I wear all ranges of brands and don't care what people think.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
DallasCig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 10:12 PM   #55
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

What's interesting is design and performance. These things are only very loosely tied to price. I think Tudor tend to look better than some Rolexes, but that has nothing to do with price.
There is a little status tied to Rolex, but that wears off pretty quickly. This hobby is about fun.....not status.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 10:15 PM   #56
RKTudor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor 79090 blue
If you haven't noticed the comments downing Tudor it's because you don't care for the brand that much. There is definitely some snobbiness about Rolex vs. Tudor, but I'd say it's from a small minority of forum members. All and all I love TRF!

Not sure about the Explorer 1/no date portion of the post though. I believe there was recently a thread about "beginner" Rolex, and the general sentiment was that there is no beginner Rolex... Just different models.
RKTudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 10:15 PM   #57
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think Tudor gets a lot of love on this forum, and many members who own a collection of Rolexes then go and buy one, myself included, and that speaks a lot to their quality and charm. I finally put my TBBN on a fabric strap and thought this would probably feel too insubstantial but it's the opposite, with the gilt dial on a strap I feel rather like Sean Connery.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 10:36 PM   #58
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt View Post
True enough.
I remember referring to it as the Deepseaweed because of the green printing on the dial.
I have to admit that is was a detractor at first based upon the press release pics. The watch sort of had a gimmicky aura about it and everything else surrounding it.

Then I saw one in real life at the local AD and I realized I was so(and wrongly) prejudiced about it.
To me the watch stands on its own merits and exceeds the marketing hype.

I say disregard the prejudice and wear whatever one likes.
Oh I do - I still can't stand the derp sea.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 11:02 PM   #59
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
I just buy what I like and don't care what other people think.

...sometimes in yor life, got to walk away some people around you
firstOwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 11:03 PM   #60
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockland View Post
I am 6'5"....unforunately I need the S...
Absolutely. That's my point. Many of us buy what we need or want, regardless of where the model sits in the price hierarchy.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote