The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 5 August 2016, 11:09 PM   #61
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Oddly enough, this being a WIS forum, I almost feel more criticized for choosing a SubDate over a regular Sub. I just find the date function useful, so I went that direction.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 11:17 PM   #62
axjimenez
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALL OF THEM
I have not seen much of this but I am sure the sentiment is out there. That said I could care less and I would venture that anybody who makes statements like this is either poorly educated in the watch world or simply cares about a watch as a status symbol. In both cases I would disregard their comments and move on with my life.
“It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.”

Rolex 114060
Omega SMP 2531.80
Vintage Omega - no idea but dad's watch
axjimenez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 11:35 PM   #63
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Yeah...agree to a certain point, Josh. I do see the occasional stray comment about Tudor being a subpar brand...but from no one whose opinion I respect.

Bottom line, it's a great watch and I'm glad you are enjoying yours.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 11:37 PM   #64
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Well I'm looking down on an order for Tudor Heritage Bronze and can't wait to make it to entry level status! HAGWE all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 5 August 2016, 11:42 PM   #65
ming the merciless
"TRF" Member

I don"t look down on people starting out - my route to my precious Sub was via an Avia as a young apprentice, a quite good looking but problematic Accurist flyback chronograph later on, then one of my favourite watches- my Heuer 2000 Pro.

The little, seemingly insignificant Avia started off my life time love of watches.
ming the merciless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 11:45 PM   #66
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

If anything, I see more people in these forums looking down on Omega, which is equally ridiculous.
Old 5 August 2016, 11:54 PM   #67
mapalfa
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
I went watch shopping at the weekend with a specific list. On it were Tudor, Rolex, Omega and Tag.

The BB Bronze, was back ordered with a long waiting list.
I didn't like the 39mm OP blue as much as I thought I would, though I'll possibly get one in the end.
The AD manager had just bought their only AK, which I tried on, so I'm on the waiting list.
The Speedy racing in red is out of stock with Omega for a month.
The Tag Monaco Steve McQueen is a stunning watch, that I really wanted, but on my wrist it looked like an 80's dive computer and I just couldn't pull the trigger.

For me, given my financial situation, the Omega would have been the easiest to buy and the AK the hardest. But, as I could have afforded any of them I was willing to swipe the card on whichever I liked the most. Make and perceived stature simply wouldn't have come into the decision.

In hindsight, though, I'm glad I didn't get anything as I've just bought a watch for my better half.
mapalfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 12:16 AM   #68
jezec
"TRF" Member

A lot of users do bag on the Tudor brand as a "step-down" from Rolex, but definitely not on this forum. Most of this occurs in the world of WUS public forums, where potential buyers inquire about the Tudor brand, only to be undermined by some of the users there.

Turning the page a bit. When people talk about "entry" Rolex, I presume they mean the first Rolex a person should buy? A Sub ND will always be high on the list given the heritage and versatility. However, I don't see why people would disparage the Sub ND in favor of the Sub with Date given that the pricing is only $1k apart (not much when you're spending $7k for watch). I don't see how one can claim that the Sub ND is a poorman's Rolex when the Sub Date is not - the pricing is not that different.
jezec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 12:29 AM   #69
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
We are all brothers in my book!
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 12:29 AM   #70
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
Agreed, although I guess I haven't really seen much in that regard in these forums. I think people stay pretty civil around here.
I agree.

That said, I don't understand why many popular watch forums push Rolex and Tudor together, you don't see Acura and Honda sharing the same posting space, it could naturally lead to arguments. I'm a hardcore Rolex loyalist, I never considered a Tudor and never would. I don't have anything against those that like the brand, but frankly over at WUS the Black Bay threads do get tiresome to weed through.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 12:33 AM   #71
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Don't see it as a "starter" Rolex at all. I have no particular evidence to support this but it wouldn't surprise me if more people get to Tudor through Rolex than the other way around.
Good post.I had never heard of tudor untill I had bought a few rolex watches.then when I saw the bb I had to get it to join my sub and daydate
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 12:41 AM   #72
dabbotjordan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I buy what I like,I couldn't care what other people think.
9/10 the people who comment on your entry level watch are not the sort of people who wear a nice time piece.
dabbotjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 12:41 AM   #73
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
I think the Black Bay is a beauty.

Would I buy one now.... Yes.
Would I buy one before I got a Rolex.... No.

Sometimes it works in reverse
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:17 AM   #74
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
If anything, I see more people in these forums looking down on Omega, which is equally ridiculous.
Many years ago, there was a large price difference between Omega and Rolex watches (e.g. Seamaster vs Sub). Over the years, Omega increased their prices more aggressively, trying to compete in the same price range as Rolex. However some people felt that Omega's aggressive price increase along with heavy discounting "devalued" the brand.

I think Omega makes some great watches, but feel their pricing is off. So I think it is common for people to have a different opinion about the quality of the watch vs the company's branding, pricing and marketing strategy. This probably is true for many other Swiss watch brands, where you see heavy discounts at the AD and gray dealer levels.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:21 AM   #75
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
Maybe I don't read the threads completely enough but I don't recall anyone in here demeaning someone for buying a Tudor. That would seem very out of place for this forum... It amazes me in a good way how complimentary people are in here. How many days do 3 or 4 people post an incoming Sub? Every post is full of congrats and never a sarcastic comment about "how original" or some such thing. So cheers to us! finding that anywhere in life is rare, especially on an Internet forum.
We have a great atmosphere around TRF. Very unlike many other forums!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:22 AM   #76
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
i dont really see it happening. and i can tell you that no one, and i mean no one, in the US has any idea what Tudor is.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:27 AM   #77
kwingy
"TRF" Member

I had a Tudor Blackbay to accompany my Rolex Pepsi GMT before I sold it. Great watch and it's nice to see them kinda of experiment with things i.e the Pelagos with it's spring clasp which Rolex would never do.
kwingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:27 AM   #78
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Buy what you like, and like what you buy!

People may think what they like, but it is the owner's opinion which matters most.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:32 AM   #79
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezec View Post
A lot of users do bag on the Tudor brand as a "step-down" from Rolex, but definitely not on this forum. .
Let's pump the brakes a bit here...while I completely agree that Tudor have their place and are great watches, they absolutely ARE a step down from Rolex. That is simply a fact and by their own design. I own many less expensive watches than Tudor, I really want a Pelagos, and I think they are great....but a step down is absolutely what they are.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:36 AM   #80
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Tudor is complete junk! Everyone should sell theirs and move on. You won't be getting much for them though, that I can tell you.

In other news, I've started a small company buying used Tudors. PM for details.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:40 AM   #81
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
Many years ago, there was a large price difference between Omega and Rolex watches (e.g. Seamaster vs Sub). Over the years, Omega increased their prices more aggressively, trying to compete in the same price range as Rolex. However some people felt that Omega's aggressive price increase along with heavy discounting "devalued" the brand.

I think Omega makes some great watches, but feel their pricing is off. So I think it is common for people to have a different opinion about the quality of the watch vs the company's branding, pricing and marketing strategy. This probably is true for many other Swiss watch brands, where you see heavy discounts at the AD and gray dealer levels.
The large price difference was also because Rolex raised their price so extremely vs. inflation over the last few decades. Heck, the Sub has nearly doubled in price over the last decade alone. Granted, Omega had some struggles with their line in the 80s and 90s, but their current line is very much the equal of Rolex in terms of quality.

It's a Veblen strategy to raise prices, making more expensive "better," but Omega is now neck and neck with Rolex in fit, finish and technology, and the prices reflect that. I don't happen to be interested in many Omega watches, outside of maybe a few, but Omega and Rolex have essentially become the "BMW and Mercedes" of the watch world, at this point.
Old 6 August 2016, 01:54 AM   #82
Corsair66
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO
I'm a newer member here and I haven't seen any real negativity yet. Quite the opposite, in fact - this forum seems extremely supportive of people and watches of all stripes.

Forum aside, though, why would you (speaking primarily to the OP) care what anyone else (especially strangers online) care or say about anything you do? Be your own person in everything you do and let the chips fall where they may. Others are going to think whatever they wish in any case - why worry about it?

Ken
Corsair66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 02:08 AM   #83
JP Chestnut
Banned

Watch: Rolex Ref 16600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Let's pump the brakes a bit here...while I completely agree that Tudor have their place and are great watches, they absolutely ARE a step down from Rolex. That is simply a fact and by their own design. I own many less expensive watches than Tudor, I really want a Pelagos, and I think they are great....but a step down is absolutely what they are.
Thanks for the sanity injection.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that an in- house Tudor is anything near as "in house" as a Rolex - from a front to back end production standpoint.

Would it be wrong if Rolex played the "Swiss Made" game with Tudor? All the brands besides Rolex at that price point, or lower, do it. At least with Tudor, you get a great watch at a really reasonable price - even if you don't know where the bracelet comes from. Contrast that with Omega, where you get a great watch at an expensive price and know that they're outsourcing some production to China.

Even if you don't want to worry about outsourcing, is the ETA modular chronograph movement in any way comparable to the 4130 in the Daytona? Of course not, and it's totally OK to realize that.
JP Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 02:21 AM   #84
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Amen. And I'm an atheist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headshrinker View Post
We are all brothers in my book!
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 02:24 AM   #85
locutus49
Banned

I respectfully beg to differ. I am American and have known of the Tudor brand for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
i dont really see it happening. and i can tell you that no one, and i mean no one, in the US has any idea what Tudor is.
Old 6 August 2016, 02:33 AM   #86
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
I respectfully beg to differ. I am American and have known of the Tudor brand for decades.
you know what i meant. but let me clarify. very few people in the US would recognize the Tudor brand. only watch enthusiasts.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 02:35 AM   #87
locutus49
Banned

OH, OKAY. I AGREE WITH THAT. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
you know what i meant. but let me clarify. very few people in the US would recognize the Tudor brand. only watch enthusiasts.
Old 6 August 2016, 02:41 AM   #88
FTX I
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyv6 View Post
We have a great atmosphere around TRF. Very unlike many other forums!
Thank our mods for that. Men are bad and fear of law is what makes them good.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 03:34 AM   #89
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I have not seen any negative comments regarding any Tudor watches on here, much love and respect for the brand IMO. I would certainly love to add one to my collection.
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 03:35 AM   #90
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Also in the real world, the House of Tudor was the most famous dynasty of the most famous Royal family in History. The House of Rolex not so much.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote