The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 6 August 2016, 03:36 AM   #91
watchenthusiast6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Yachtmaster
I love Pelagos and Black Bay, I would love to own one in the future.
watchenthusiast6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 03:37 AM   #92
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
I've seen a comment that people buy white gold because they can't afford platinum. You just can't please everybody.
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 03:46 AM   #93
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

I thought we agreed that there's no "entry level rolex"...
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 03:46 AM   #94
tudorluv
"TRF" Member

tudors are some sexy watches ;)
tudorluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 04:24 AM   #95
donut
"TRF" Member

Watch: LN/LV/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptofresh View Post
I have noticed that, in my honest opinion, if you are buying watches because how much they cost or for their 'status', you aren't a watch enthusiast. If you look down on any watch and judge someone for wearing it (unless it's a fake, bad homage, etc) you're are not welcome in the watch community. Every watch was built for a reason and carry's significant history (explorer 1 after the summit of sir edmund hillary, Tudor's past.., etc).
totally agreed
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 04:32 AM   #96
breitlings
Banned

Watch: Apple TV
While I do think there is a general progression of cost and finishing in breitling and rolex some of their best models are the simpler "entry level models." The OP39 is fantastic and a great watch I think as is the air king. I think tudor has also really improved their offering with advanced in house movements. A lot to love there including the pelagos which I love.
breitlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 04:48 AM   #97
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Tell them to google 'Tudor Snowflake' and watch their reaction.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 04:48 AM   #98
Ragna
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptofresh View Post
i have noticed that, in my honest opinion, if you are buying watches because how much they cost or for their 'status', you aren't a watch enthusiast. If you look down on any watch and judge someone for wearing it (unless it's a fake, bad homage, etc) you're are not welcome in the watch community. Every watch was built for a reason and carry's significant history [...]
+1
Ragna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 05:26 AM   #99
captain_NEMO
"TRF" Member

Watch: this! Hold my beer
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickened1 View Post
I just buy what I like and don't care what other people think.
Hear, hear!
captain_NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 05:29 AM   #100
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
I've seen a comment that people buy white gold because they can't afford platinum. You just can't please everybody.
its because they cant afford meteorite!

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 05:43 AM   #101
firstOwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 20th Moon, ND Sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex addict View Post
Honest hard-earned money spent wisely !
firstOwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 05:45 AM   #102
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I no longer have a Rolex sub and am rather content with my ETA BBN. It's kind of surprising coming from owning, TT black, no date, hulk, and smurf. The itch hasn't reappeared.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 05:57 AM   #103
bigwatchman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Don't see it as a "starter" Rolex at all. I have no particular evidence to support this but it wouldn't surprise me if more people get to Tudor through Rolex than the other way around.
Amen...... That's what happened to me. And I'm Rolex free without care... Not that it's a bad or good thing.....
Luminox Field Watch Day-Date
Casio G-Shock Analog/Chrono
bigwatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 05:57 AM   #104
Justinmg
"TRF" Member

Watch: PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap1 View Post
I no longer have a Rolex sub and am rather content with my ETA BBN. It's kind of surprising coming from owning, TT black, no date, hulk, and smurf. The itch hasn't reappeared.
I feel the same way, I've had a nd sub, expl, seamaster, SDc and they are all gone. I love my Tudor BBN and I love that only a small percent of people know what it is. The rest of the people can think what they want.
Justinmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 06:28 AM   #105
Deroya
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by japenney View Post
Along this same vein there have been comments about the explorer 1 and no date sub being something you only buy if you cannot afford a sub or date version.
Lol, all I have to say about this is whoever says this knows nothing about the history of the submariner or the explorer 1, nor appreciates the value of it. Secondly someone who talks like this wears a Rolex entirely for the wrong reason and their opinion means virtually nothing.
Deroya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 06:36 AM   #106
Rocco21
Banned

Watch: 126660,126600
I have never looked down on any watch brands but I will say I find no other watch brands attractive at all once I went Rolex.Whether more expensive or less I only care for Rolex.
Rocco21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 06:49 AM   #107
romulus90
"TRF" Member

I'm about to buy a gold GMT, but am still in love with my Omega 2254.50 that I bought 10 years ago, and it was "only" $1,800 from an AD new. Whatever. Some people are just pretentious.
romulus90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 07:07 AM   #108
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I enjoyed this article:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-su...ck-bay-review/
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 07:10 AM   #109
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco21 View Post
I have never looked down on any watch brands but I will say I find no other watch brands attractive at all once I went Rolex.Whether more expensive or less I only care for Rolex.
This is a perfectly reasonable philosophy and the reason why Rolex remaIns the bulk of my collection
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 07:19 AM   #110
hbombkid
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco21 View Post

I agree completely.

After owning a Rolex then flipping it, I realized the quality, history and how I missed owning one. I actually flipped a couple other quality watches and have become a one watch guy.

To answer the OP question. I have not seen people bash Tudor here and I definitely would not. They are nice just not my cup of tea, specially the hands just not a fan.
hbombkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 07:46 AM   #111
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbombkid View Post
I agree completely.

After owning a Rolex then flipping it, I realized the quality, history and how I missed owning one. I actually flipped a couple other quality watches and have become a one watch guy.

To answer the OP question. I have not seen people bash Tudor here and I definitely would not. They are nice just not my cup of tea, specially the hands just not a fan.
You haven't? There's a whole thread filled with Tudor bashing right here. Most people on this forum don't care either way but there are definitely a handful that wouldn't touch Tudor simply because it isn't Rolex.

I would rather have a Tudor than some of the entry level Rolexes. For one, I don't care for Arabic numerals and with many of the stater models that's what you're stuck with. The modern Tudor designs are excellent!
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 10:44 AM   #112
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

When I was in my early 20s I could not afford a Rolex, my options were limited to brands like Hamilton, Omega, Breitling, etc. Similarly, my
First self purchased car was a Subaru.

I didn't start my career being able to afford a 911 Turbo S and spend 30k on watches. Entry-level, affordable, easily accessible are all things that attract people to Tudor. I know young professionals wearing Tags and renting Apartments. They have aspirations, maybe owning a Rolex one day is one of them.

I think it is absurd to NOT consider Tudor the affordable and entry-level sister brand to Rolex....because that is what it is....by design.
Old 6 August 2016, 10:56 AM   #113
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus View Post
When I was in my early 20s I could not afford a Rolex, my options were limited to brands like Hamilton, Omega, Breitling, etc. Similarly, my

I didn't start my career being able to afford a 911 Turbo S and spend 30k on watches. Entry-level, affordable, easily accessible are all things that attract people to Tudor. I know young professionals wearing Tags and renting Apartments. They have aspirations, maybe owning a Rolex one day is one of them.

I think it is absurd to NOT consider Tudor the affordable and entry-level sister brand to Rolex....because that is what it is....by design.
Very well said
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 10:59 AM   #114
Hoppyjr
"TRF" Member

I don't care what anyone thinks about my personal decisions, including watch purchases.
Hoppyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 11:01 AM   #115
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I've never owned a Tudor, and I agree that was the original Tudor philosophy, but their models are so much different than Rolex offerings these days that I think it's more nuanced. There are a few of their models that I'd choose over a Rolex, regardless of price.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 11:07 AM   #116
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
I don't look down on anyone. Regardless of anything.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 11:17 AM   #117
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
I've never owned a Tudor, and I agree that was the original Tudor philosophy, but their models are so much different than Rolex offerings these days that I think it's more nuanced. There are a few of their models that I'd choose over a Rolex, regardless of price.
They are intentionally different. Louder, more rugged, little to no precious metals. They are intentionally different, but Tudor is also intentionally more affordable and accessible. There is no white gold black bay or platinum fast rider for a reason. Tudor exists for a different market segment.
Old 6 August 2016, 11:27 AM   #118
douglasf13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They are intentionally different. Louder, more rugged, little to no precious metals. They are intentionally different, but Tudor is also intentionally more affordable and accessible. There is no white gold black bay or platinum fast rider for a reason. Tudor exists for a different market segment.
Sure, but there's a lot of crossover in the steel models, since Tudor is no longer just copying Rolex designs and throwing in ETA movements. It would be a little odd if this was 30 years ago, and a bunch of forum members who wore Subs added Snowflakes to their collection, but we see lots of current Rolex owners add Tudors after the fact, because the lines are so different.
douglasf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2016, 01:14 PM   #119
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

I'm into watches over two decades. Tastes change, values change, priorities in collecting change. Tudor has really brought some amazing models to the market: two of my most prized are a blue Snowflake and a BBR. I love Omegas quality and design BUT they don't look good on me, I've tried. Can't wear a Panerai, looks like hell on me. Fell in love with the Deep Sea and the Pelagos, can't wear either one. It comes down to what appeals to the gut and to the aesthetic, and I can't imagine disrespecting anything that looks great.
Old 6 August 2016, 01:44 PM   #120
Azluzvay
"TRF" Member

Agreed, although I guess I haven't really seen much in that regard in these forums. I think people stay pretty civil around here. FWIW, even though I don't own a Tudor, I currently like more watches in the Tudor lineup than in the Rolex lineup.
Azluzvay is offline   Reply With Quote