The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 September 2016, 11:58 AM   #1
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Yachtmaster for the misses

I'm thinking about getting a TT YM for the misses for Christmas. Have any of you bought this one for your wife or are there any women on the forum that could give input on a sports model for a woman?
Old 13 September 2016, 01:22 PM   #2
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Hi.. She loves the Plat dial I bought her 35mm

But it's a little hard to read, both of us had one. Both our favorite so I sold it and got her this one. I traded mine. She likes this one too. Almost as much

Sent by tapatalk with my ♕ on
Old 13 September 2016, 01:41 PM   #3
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I have had my ladies' 29 mm SS/platinum Ym for 15+ years. I wear it daily and still love it. I have had no visibility problems. I am totally addicted to the date function and bezel...I use it every day, to time parking meters, the time of my exercise walks, to how long my meatloaf has been in the oven. Oh, and on vacation I time how long I've been in the water, so I know when to reapply sunblock...my watch has made several trips to Hawaii, and I love looking at it through my snorkel mask.

I am, however, the skin type that silver metal looks better on...there are "cool" and "warm" skin types, and for some gold looks better. I gravitate to silver jewelry as well. I have my mother in law's vintage gold ladies' President...gold, gold dial, fluted bezel, and President bracelet. It is a great watch but it looks better on her than me due the differences in our coloring.

I bring this up because I was initially drawn to the TT blue face YM because it reminded me of the TT/blue Sub, and the YM was the only Professional line Rolex made for women. This was around 2000 so it wasn't as stylish then (but a 40 mm is too big for me anyway). When I saw the blue TT in person...meh, not for me. I was very disappointed until I saw the SS/platinum.

Likewise my friends who have Rolexes have the watch that looks perfect on them.

So, I would suggest that you take your wife watch shopping. If she falls in love with the YM (as I did) then great. She will have a sturdy and stylish watch that she can wear with anything, from dressy to casual, and it won't be very common. But, if she doesn't, and goes for the classic DJ (as my Rolex-wearing friends have) then it will be the right choice for her...likewise, the size of the watch is pretty personal. My ladies' size is pretty substantial due to the bezels and is perfectly proportionate for my wrist. For every 40 mm watch I see on a woman I still see even more dainty, smaller watches.

Have fun with it! If you take her shopping that will be a cherished memory for her.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 05:19 PM   #4
gossbeau
Banned

Watch: 25940ok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boopie View Post
I have had my ladies' 29 mm SS/platinum Ym for 15+ years. I wear it daily and still love it. I have had no visibility problems. I am totally addicted to the date function and bezel...I use it every day, to time parking meters, the time of my exercise walks, to how long my meatloaf has been in the oven. Oh, and on vacation I time how long I've been in the water, so I know when to reapply sunblock...my watch has made several trips to Hawaii, and I love looking at it through my snorkel mask.

I am, however, the skin type that silver metal looks better on...there are "cool" and "warm" skin types, and for some gold looks better. I gravitate to silver jewelry as well. I have my mother in law's vintage gold ladies' President...gold, gold dial, fluted bezel, and President bracelet. It is a great watch but it looks better on her than me due the differences in our coloring.

I bring this up because I was initially drawn to the TT blue face YM because it reminded me of the TT/blue Sub, and the YM was the only Professional line Rolex made for women. This was around 2000 so it wasn't as stylish then (but a 40 mm is too big for me anyway). When I saw the blue TT in person...meh, not for me. I was very disappointed until I saw the SS/platinum.

So, I would suggest that you take your wife watch shopping. If she falls in love with the YM (as I did) then great. She will have a sturdy and stylish watch that she can wear with anything, from dressy to casual, and it won't be very common. But, if she doesn't, and goes for the classic DJ (as my Rolex-wearing friends have) then it will be the right choice for her...likewise, the size of the watch is pretty personal. My ladies' size is pretty substantial due to the bezels and is perfectly proportionate for my wrist. For every 40 mm watch I see on a woman I still see even more dainty, smaller watches.

Have fun with it! If you take her shopping that will be a cherished memory for her.
Very well put! Thanks for sharing your experience. Some women do like wearing 40 mm though. It's becoming trendier I guess
gossbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 06:49 PM   #5
333president
"TRF" Member

My Wife is beating me up for the 40mm TT RG/SS with brown dial that they just released.

I bought her a Lady Date a few years ago. But she usually wears one of my Subs. She's into the 40mm.

Either way, we both love the YM for Ladies in size/variation.
333president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 08:32 PM   #6
elkaholic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
While my wife is no where near as into watches as me, but she has a 26mm TT DJ that I bought her when we got married that she wears daily.

Recently we were at an AD who had a 29mm SS YM with platinum dial and she tried it on and loved it. The dial, the legibility and the polished center links all really appealed to her, and it did look fantastic on her wrist.

I'm sure I will pick one up for her in the near future. She's not into wearing the larger 36-40mm sizes as is popular these days with a lot of women.

I liked the uniform/compatible look the the SS YM has on women who are also wearing white gold rings and bracelets, as my wife does.
elkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 11:11 PM   #7
amador
"TRF" Member

Watch: Bluesy SubC & DSSD
Got my wife the 40mm TT w/the white dial. She loves it! it wears comfortable and looks great on her wrist
IMG_1726.jpg
BREITLING SUPEROCEAN CHRONO
amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 11:23 PM   #8
RMC12
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf/Hulk/1680
I bought my wife a mid sized (35mm) for her 30th Birthday and she absolutely loves it. It was a surprise for her so she had no input but I knew it was her taste. The only thing I may have changed with hindsight would be to get the 40mm. Although I have offered to swap it for and she says she would never part with the 35mm she does were my sub occaisionally and comments that she likes the bigger size too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YM.jpg (104.7 KB, 267 views)
RMC12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 September 2016, 11:28 PM   #9
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Great advice!
Old 13 September 2016, 11:29 PM   #10
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Great advice for any man looking for the right watch for his significant other right there. Ought to be a sticky.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 02:56 AM   #11
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossbeau View Post
Very well put! Thanks for sharing your experience. Some women do like wearing 40 mm though. It's becoming trendier I guess
I see lots of bigger watches with looser bracelets on ladies nowadays. I don't get the fashion!
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 04:34 AM   #12
porschedude
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
My aunt has one and looks nice
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 05:03 AM   #13
Alpino
"TRF" Member

Since today, Rolex site have been updated on the page describing YM collection.

It looks like this collection have been reduced a lot. No more yellow gold TT, no more 35mm models, no more platinum dial models ...

That needs to be confirmed when new master catalog will be released.

Alpino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 05:51 AM   #14
Mazuri1
"TRF" Member

The latest yachtie in our opinion is just lovely....we both decided it was better than getting rings .... Recognise that may be too "modern" for some
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (119.7 KB, 193 views)
Mazuri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 05:53 AM   #15
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazuri1 View Post
The latest yachtie in our opinion is just lovely....we both decided it was better than getting rings .... Recognise that may be too "modern" for some
Cool, good stuff
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 06:17 AM   #16
Bulldog21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/BLRO/SkyD
I just got this for my wife, her birthday is today so no wrist shot yet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RG.jpg (67.9 KB, 186 views)
Bulldog21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 06:36 AM   #17
Rolex addict
Banned

Watch: me crash my bike
The mid size platinum dial is amazing!!!
Rolex addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2016, 09:56 AM   #18
twobytwo
Banned

Watch: Sub C
Just bought my wife a mid size platinum. She had wanted one for some time and just loves it. She is in her early 30's and felt it was perfect modern size without that oversized look.
twobytwo is offline   Reply With Quote