The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 25 January 2018, 07:55 AM   #1
TreadEverSoLightly
"TRF" Member

Canada - Buying Rolex Submariner (New)

Hi all,

Longtime lurker, finally registered today. I've been collecting watches for 5 years and am finally ready to purchase my first Rolex - a brand new Sub 116610LN! Excited to join the club and wear the Sub in good health.

I've now started to reach out to dealers and was quite surprised at my first feedback from Birks in Calgary - I was added to a "lottery list". They receive stock randomly and will call those on the list if their desired watch comes in. From there, if I was chosen, I would have to purchase the watch within 24 hours.

I'm from Toronto but have family in Calgary and think it would be best to buy there for tax purposes.

I knew getting a new Sub would be difficult, but is this really the buying process? It could certainly turn off new watch enthusiasts (not myself, just saying).

Any advice or insight into making the buying experience more pleasure would be welcome and thanks again!
TreadEverSoLightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 09:24 AM   #2
Lol-x
Facilitator

You have to appreciate that Rolex is not just some item you can pick up off the supermarket shelves....

In all seriousness, there is a greater demand for Submariners than supply, so its a case of joining the list at a dealer or shopping intelligently online or through local watch re-sellers.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 09:35 AM   #3
Lime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, JLC, etc
Was at Yorkdale mall on the weekend saw subs in the case...
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 09:42 AM   #4
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I see them in Raffi in Waterloo. Nice place.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 09:43 AM   #5
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Yes indeed, you have to wait for your Rolex Submariner these days. I've been to the Birks you mentioned in Calgary (The Core Mall, downtown) and have had mixed levels of service from poor to okay. Never took it far enough to buy anything there. I understand about saving on PST and have bought in Calgary too. There are other ADs in Calgary and suggest you shop around. Might try Brinkhaus which is downtown also. There is a 3 month wait I'm told. I've had to wait for everything I've bought in the past few years. Rolex market is very hot right now. Good luck and hope it works out. Welcome to TRF. Cheers!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 10:05 AM   #6
stylinleems
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you can save the tax here in Toronto, then I would purchase it here. However, if you can't than AB would be my choice (save the 8% at the minimum) but sometimes you might get the 5% off (paying no tax in AB).

Call around to see if you can find one, also try the ADs in Edmonton ... I deal with Gemoro when I'm in AB (purchased my BLNR from them) great experience with the one lady I deal with.

Raffi might have them but you might not get any taxes off here in Toronto, you could try if paying cash. Damiani is a great AD (purchased my LB from them). La Difference in Markham might have the LN, I'd call ahead to check could get taxes off it is hit and miss.

You could also try RDV downtown, or Knar in Oakville.

If you need assistance, I can try to help out!

Good luck and Welcome!!
stylinleems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 10:05 AM   #7
yhzdude
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

i went to J Vair Anderson and Brinkhaus, and was very well received, very knowledgeable, and really helpful, this is where i would start, build a nice relationship with them.
I agree with you save some tax...they did not have what i was after so i ended up paying full retail locally. Good luck and enjoy your purchase.Now the enjoyment is to check out a few dealer, come here and read some post, save the money and then go and spend it.
looking forward to seeing your watch when you get it.
cheers.
yhzdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 11:32 AM   #8
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
I've been buying and selling, flipping Rolex watches for the past 10 years. There were always lot's of Sub's around at dealerships. Lot's of discounts to be had to. This low supply is just a short term blip. It'll let up. Being from Toronto, I don't see Rolex on many peoples wrists and I work in Finance so no one's buying them up here.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 12:00 PM   #9
SilverKast
"TRF" Member

Watch: always one more...
Only 3 AD's here in Calgary - Birks downtown, J.Vair, and Brinkhaus.

I bought my Explorer I at Birks and the service was ok, they do add 5 years to the factory warranty but won't really budge on price. J. Vair is awful service - I went in on my way to a football game in shorts and tshirt to look at a Daytona and they told me I should "save up and then come back".

Walked into Birkhaus and bought a SD43 with a 5% discount right after that. Birkhaus was actually great service too, I've bought a few items there.
SilverKast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 12:02 PM   #10
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Just saw one at Raffi Square One on the weekend. I’d check locally first and if none are to be found, go for it
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 01:26 PM   #11
Jdreg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Just saw one at Raffi Square One on the weekend. I’d check locally first and if none are to be found, go for it
I’ve heard they won’t sell those. You decide which one you want and they order it for you.
Jdreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:27 PM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
You have to appreciate that Rolex is not just some item you can pick up off the supermarket shelves....

In all seriousness, there is a greater demand for Submariners than supply, so its a case of joining the list at a dealer or shopping intelligently online or through local watch re-sellers.
Unless you're at Costco.

At any rate to the OP; good luck with the hunt!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 02:49 PM   #13
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverKast View Post
Only 3 AD's here in Calgary - Birks downtown, J.Vair, and Brinkhaus.

I bought my Explorer I at Birks and the service was ok, they do add 5 years to the factory warranty but won't really budge on price. J. Vair is awful service - I went in on my way to a football game in shorts and tshirt to look at a Daytona and they told me I should "save up and then come back".

Walked into Birkhaus and bought a SD43 with a 5% discount right after that. Birkhaus was actually great service too, I've bought a few items there.
Must be more to this story than that. Been to J. Vair many times and was treated awesome and I promise I was dressed pretty terrible.

Additionally being dressed like that Kenny offered me an SARU at the time.

Can’t see anyone there being that rude considering they are right off the bike path.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 03:55 PM   #14
Andrejb
2024 Pledge Member

Every time I’ve been to Rolex boutique at square one they’ve had both 114060 and 116610

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andrejb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 04:11 PM   #15
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I can virtually guarantee one of the half dozen GTA ADs has one in stock. I’d bet 20 that half of them have one in the case.
Old 25 January 2018, 07:21 PM   #16
tng11
"TRF" Member

RDV had a 116610LN and BLNR in the display case last Saturday while I was browsing. Both sold while I was there too.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 10:53 PM   #17
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Anyone got a discount recently? Has it been more difficult because of the low supply? I'm planning to get my first submariner and would really appreciate any info/assistance! Cheers!
cwyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 January 2018, 11:49 PM   #18
mg18
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710BLRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyyz View Post
Anyone got a discount recently? Has it been more difficult because of the low supply? I'm planning to get my first submariner and would really appreciate any info/assistance! Cheers!
Even with dealers I have decent relationships with and who offered me very nice discounts in the past, are now saying no discounts on sub, gmt, explorer, etc. Still decent discounts on datejusts though.

It seems like a bad time to buy. A slight supply issue for these models I've heard.
mg18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:21 AM   #19
Daytoner18
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post
Even with dealers I have decent relationships with and who offered me very nice discounts in the past, are now saying no discounts on sub, gmt, explorer, etc. Still decent discounts on datejusts though.

It seems like a bad time to buy. A slight supply issue for these models I've heard.
Yes... quiet sad. Really hate how Rolex is creating fake demand by releasing/producing less watches to try and drive people crazy.

People just need to say no and back out of deals and deals and supply should be back.
Daytoner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2018, 12:51 AM   #20
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyyz View Post
Yes.
Old 26 January 2018, 01:03 AM   #21
saskmh
"TRF" Member

If you are not particular about getting something straight from an AD, there are a number of very reputable sellers on the Canadian forum as well.
Old 26 January 2018, 01:06 AM   #22
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg18 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytoner18 View Post
Yes... quiet sad. Really hate how Rolex is creating fake demand by releasing/producing less watches to try and drive people crazy.

People just need to say no and back out of deals and deals and supply should be back.
That sucks...Possibly more stock after a price increase I guess lol? However, if there is a discount when that happens,it should be cheaper than current price. (MSRP + tax)

Bad timing I guess? Maybe I should wait...What do you guys think? Thanks again!
Old 26 January 2018, 01:12 AM   #23
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskmh View Post
If you are not particular about getting something straight from an AD, there are a number of very reputable sellers on the Canadian forum as well.
Thank you for the advise! Have u got any info?
Old 26 January 2018, 01:59 AM   #24
TreadEverSoLightly
"TRF" Member

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the valuable input. Greatly appreciated.

I will hunt around the GTA for a bit - after saving for quite a while, saving 5% or 8% is quite the difference maker to me.

If anyone has a relationship with an AD in the Toronto area who would be willing to help out a first time buyer with some slight savings, please don't hesitate to let me know. Not begging, just asking - I know many of you have been around a long time and have impressive collections and relationships built along the way. I'm just looking to start somewhere :)

Thanks!
Old 26 January 2018, 03:35 AM   #25
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreadEverSoLightly View Post
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the valuable input. Greatly appreciated.

I will hunt around the GTA for a bit - after saving for quite a while, saving 5% or 8% is quite the difference maker to me.

If anyone has a relationship with an AD in the Toronto area who would be willing to help out a first time buyer with some slight savings, please don't hesitate to let me know. Not begging, just asking - I know many of you have been around a long time and have impressive collections and relationships built along the way. I'm just looking to start somewhere :)

Thanks!
I guess I'm in the same boat, good luck to you!!
Old 26 January 2018, 03:45 AM   #26
Art 1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreadEverSoLightly View Post

Thanks!
We got a good discount at Raffi in Waterloo not long ago, it was on a 2 watch purchase.
Old 26 January 2018, 04:20 AM   #27
cwyyz
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
We got a good discount at Raffi in Waterloo not long ago, it was on a 2 watch purchase.
That's amazing! Can you share some more info on the model/ the %? Thanks again!
Old 26 January 2018, 05:02 AM   #28
Art 1
Banned

Explorer and 31MM DJ, WG diamond bezel diamond VI.
Old 26 January 2018, 05:44 AM   #29
TickTockChuck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzz View Post
Must be more to this story than that. Been to J. Vair many times and was treated awesome and I promise I was dressed pretty terrible.

Additionally being dressed like that Kenny offered me an SARU at the time.

Can’t see anyone there being that rude considering they are right off the bike path.
Not for me, I was in J. Vair a couple of times a year apart and had some of the worst AD service ever with a passive-agressive snobbish attitude. Very bad, No thanks!
TickTockChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2018, 08:11 AM   #30
TreadEverSoLightly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I can virtually guarantee one of the half dozen GTA ADs has one in stock. I’d bet 20 that half of them have one in the case.
I've phoned 6 or 7 ADs in the Toronto area - none in stock. I can order for a turnaround of 2 weeks, a month, month and a half, etc but nothing available at the moment.