The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 7 April 2019, 12:05 AM   #31
Paul7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
There are cars that cost 250,000 and replicas that cost 50,000, they look almost the same, but drive each and you will know the difference.
When you go to sell them you really will know the difference. Guarantee it will not perform the same, but will look good.
However if you want others to think you are driving a 250,000 car then go for it.
If these watches are so good on their own why copy the Rolex styles. Sell them based on their own price and looks.
You know the difference when you buy one too, Steinhart actually holds up well on the used market. As far as not performing as well, my Steinhart keeps better time than my Date Just, goes in the shower and pool, and Rolex doesn’t make the 39 mm size I prefer. No, I don’t wear it to impress other people, the vast majority don’t notice or care about my watch, or yours. In the years I’ve worn my Rolex I haven’t gotten one comment.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2019, 12:11 AM   #32
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
Anybody want to comment on this from the Parnis website?

"Did you know that a 7,000 USD swiss watch costs less than 80 USD to manufacture?

According to COSC (Swiss most prestigious Horological institute), Rolex manufactured over 1,2 Million pieces in 2017, increasing their highly automated processes and technology, and creating little to no human interaction along the manufacturing process.

We often ask, "Why is a Mass-manufactured product (in millions of units) sold as an ultra-luxury item, when its actual cost is no more than just a few dollars a piece"?

I just bought a Steinhart diver that I'm very happy with, Swiss made, ETA movement at eight steps a second, two-year warranty, keeps better time than my Roles DJ, and the 39mm size fits my 6.5" wrist perfectly, 40mm is borderline too big for me. Not worried about explaining its not a Rolex, I've worn my Roles DJ the last few years and never got one comment.

There is debate whether Rolex originated the diver watch.
It may actually cost $80 to produce a $7000 watch but that is the end product only. That number doesnt take into account that because it is made in-house, they had to pay for the building, the machinery, the tooling, the employees, the R&D, the marketing, etc, etc. All of these other costs make up the other $6920.
Old 7 April 2019, 12:15 AM   #33
astewartconst
"TRF" Member

It’s a fake in my eyes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
astewartconst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 April 2019, 09:03 PM   #34
janice&fred
Banned

Watch: all of them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Lisbon View Post
Yeah, thats my exact same goal.

I understand this could be a touchy subject to some people.. I just dont have any problem with it.

Further thoughts on this topic, and photos would be highly appreciated!

Thank you.

setting aside everything else and speaking from a purely pragmatic viewpoint, don't you think given your location that you're kinda over-thinking this "GMT-ish test drive" via the internet? i mean...why not simply get to it? take a stroll or the subway to chinatown and simply pick up the exact same thing as the Parnis for $25 and then you can even save a bunch of money as well as have no problem with it
janice&fred is offline   Reply With Quote