The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 April 2019, 06:59 PM   #1
lesfield
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116713LN
Watchfinder UK issue.

HELP! I brought my wife the ladies datejust in the photo just over a year ago from watchfinder. It stopped working last week so we took it back and got this response

“ Our head watchmaker has completed his inspection on your Rolex and advised that the watch has been opened up and worked on. Unfortunately, whomever undertook this intervention has pushed the rotor axle through the movement causing an extent of damage.

As we don’t hold an account with Rolex, there are parts required that we cannot source and unfortunately, we are unable to complete the required works in house I’m afraid.”

No one has worked on the watch at all, and it’s been working fine until last week therefore any ‘damage’ must have been done by them. What do you guys suggest I do next.

Old 19 April 2019, 07:15 PM   #2
watchmaker
TechXpert

Was there any manufacturers warranty remaining?

Normally they give 12 months on used watches in which case there is not a lot I can suggest you can do except bite the bullet and send it for service (not via watchfinder)

Last edited by watchmaker; 19 April 2019 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: Clarifying
watchmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:33 PM   #3
sutats
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Hi Les, I have no experience about the robustness or the intricacies of the movement but would a drop or hard knock sustained by the watch possibly result in the damage?
Post Your Rolex/Tudor Watch Weight (PYRTWW)
sutats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 07:47 PM   #4
lesfield
"TRF" Member

My wife never takes it off her wrist so it’s not damaged from any impacts etc
Old 19 April 2019, 07:51 PM   #5
Coop13
Banned

Watch: SBGW231, SRP777
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesfield View Post
My wife never takes it off her wrist so it’s not damaged from any impacts etc
What condition was the watch in when you purchased?
Coop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 08:34 PM   #6
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

I would check their sight and see what kind of pre-certification / checks they do. If they claim they do them, then may be able to make the case that they obviously missed something pretty obvious and significant.

If they don't claim to do any checks or the checks they do are not sufficient, well then I suppose this thread serves as a good warning to anyone buying from them that perhaps they ought to have pieces independently inspected.

I hope you are able to get a good resolution.
galtinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 08:48 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would check the warranty they offer and see if you fall underneath that. I believe that it is a discussion about the fact the watch was opened. You can always take it to the RSC and get an estimate. If Watch Finder will not/can not resolve the issue I would go with RSC and get it right. Might cost more but in the long run it might be worth it.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 09:04 PM   #8
omx5o
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss GV
It's just unlucky if the warranty has run out. I bought an Explorer 1 from Watchfinder which had issues. They took the watch, replaced a faulty part and returned it all under the warranty, but it was within a year from the purchase.
omx5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 09:14 PM   #9
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
If out of their warranty then you have to take it to RSC.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 09:43 PM   #10
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Sent it to a RSC, it'll cost you only a little but you get a brand new looking watch back and an updated warranty.
Old 19 April 2019, 09:47 PM   #11
2001jesper
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234
If opend and worked on then the warranty is vold anyway. Note not to shop @watchfinder and send it to RSC
2001jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 10:10 PM   #12
harvey
"TRF" Member

Les did you pay at least £100 for it by credit card? If so, under section 75, get help from your credit card provider. This is a long shot but they may be able to provide you with some advice.
harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:47 PM   #13
leonardfell
"TRF" Member

Watch: Anything GMT
First Porsches, now Rolex, what next.

leonardfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2019, 11:59 PM   #14
strafer_kid
"TRF" Member

Watch: SDs, Subs & GMTs
Given their volume of Rolex sales, transactions and vast stock, it seems strange that their technical people would not have access to Rolex parts?
strafer_kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 12:21 AM   #15
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
OP - From your original message, I cannot reply but, I would like to help. Pls answer the following questions first:

1. When you bough the watch, was there a warranty offered?
2. If yes to the above, is said warranty still valid?
3. Have they communicated to you in writing concerning their allegation of the watch having been opened?
4. As above - watch having been tampered with, in writing?
5. Who has the watch now? Did they return it to you?

Give me those answers and, I will assist you in formulating a written reply.
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 04:57 AM   #16
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
It probably needs a service anyway doesn’t it? I don’t think WF often open up Rolexes to work on movements as they send them to the Kent service centre for work (if required) pre sale. Assuming the watch has been running perfectly since you bought it, then WF will assume that any damage must have been done by you (I’m not defending them here, but I do see their point).

How old is the watch? If an older model, did it come with a service history?
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2019, 05:07 AM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
It probably needs a service anyway doesn’t it? I don’t think WF often open up Rolexes as they send them to the Kent service centre for work (if required) pre sale. Assuming the watch has been running perfectly since you bought it, then WF will assume that any damage must have been done by you (I’m not defending them here, but I do see their point).

How old is the watch? If an older model, did it come with a service history?
Don't have to defend WF, OP damaged his watch and/or it stopped working only last week, nothing to do with WF, and he is out of warranty, so they did him a solid in trying to still fix the problem if it was a simple one but they think it is a big deal so they couldn't. Don't think OP has anything to complain about, quite the opposite.
Old 20 April 2019, 05:15 AM   #18
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Don't have to defend WF, OP damaged his watch and/or it stopped working only last week, nothing to do with WF, and he is out of warranty, so they did him a solid in trying to still fix the problem if it was a simple one but they think it is a big deal so they couldn't. Don't think OP has anything to complain about, quite the opposite.
Sure, but I think people jump on them a bit. In my experience they’ve always done right by me and been good to deal with.

In any case, I hope the OP gets it sorted with RSC.
Old 20 April 2019, 05:17 AM   #19
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not sure it is so clear. Here are two quotes from Watchfinder's website:

"HOW DO I KNOW THE WATCH IS GENUINE?

All our watches are meticulously inspected and prepared by our highly trained, manufacturer-accredited watchmakers. Each timepiece is closely inspected inside and out, under high magnification, by our experts, who are trained to spot any indication that a watch might be fake, and when the information is available, we will also cross-reference our watches against official brand records."

And

"HOW DO I KNOW THE WATCH IS IN THE BEST CONDITION POSSIBLE?

All our watches are meticulously inspected and prepared by our highly trained, manufacturer-accredited watchmakers. Each timepiece undergoes a rigorous testing regime, using manufacturer-approved tools and equipment, to ensure its condition, accuracy, efficiency and water-resistance meet brand specifications. A multi-stage QC procedure also ensures any problems are flagged and dealt with immediately."

So the question really is, how is it possible that, according to watchfinder, someone opened the watch and caused damaged yet they did not notice it on their meticulous inspection inside and out under magnification by their expert watchmakers?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 20 April 2019, 05:22 AM   #20
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtinuk View Post

All our watches are meticulously inspected and prepared by our highly trained, manufacturer-accredited watchmakers. Each timepiece is closely inspected inside and out, under high magnification, by our experts, who are trained to spot any indication that a watch might be fake, and when the information is available, we will also cross-reference our watches against official brand records."

And

All our watches are meticulously inspected and prepared by our highly trained, manufacturer-accredited watchmakers. Each timepiece undergoes a rigorous testing regime, using manufacturer-approved tools and equipment, to ensure its condition, accuracy, efficiency and water-resistance meet brand specifications. A multi-stage QC procedure also ensures any problems are flagged and dealt with immediately."

So the question really is, how is it possible that, according to watchfinder, someone opened the watch and caused damaged yet they did not notice it on their meticulous inspection inside and out under magnification by their expert watchmakers?

It’s a good question. However if it has been running flawlessly for a year since purchase there’s a chance that either it’s had a knock, or it just needs a service and it’s wear and tear.

Unless they bodged it in such a way that they knew it would fail just over a year later....
Old 20 April 2019, 05:23 AM   #21
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galtinuk View Post

And

WF will BS when it suits them and it is more likely that than the OP is lying about it being worked on before, altho I have no way of knowing either, all we do know is the watch stopped working outside the warranty but WF tried to look at it anyway, so now it should go to RSC.

If RSC claim there has clearly been some tangential butchery by a watchmaker outside of the initial problem then the OP has an issue to take to WF if he can prove they are the watchmaker in question.
Old 20 April 2019, 05:46 AM   #22
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
WF will BS when it suits them and it is more likely that than the OP is lying about it being worked on before, altho I have no way of knowing either, all we do know is the watch stopped working outside the warranty but WF tried to look at it anyway, so now it should go to RSC.

If RSC claim there has clearly been some tangential butchery by a watchmaker outside of the initial problem then the OP has an issue to take to WF if he can prove they are the watchmaker in question.
I agree, I would send it to Rolex. If it was watchfinder, you would not want to give them a second shot at it and you can be pretty confident Rolex will do it right. If it were me I would ask watchfinder for my money back.

RE not knowing for sure who did the damage obviously it is impossible to tell unless you are the OP. However it is good that this was posted because if it keeps coming up then people will be able to form a view.

Old 20 April 2019, 07:09 AM   #23
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
Sure, but I think people jump on them a bit. In my experience they’ve always done right by me and been good to deal with.

In any case, I hope the OP gets it sorted with RSC.

I second that Steve.
Especially after the recent takeover which seemed to improve customer relations no end imho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 11:13 PM   #24
lesfield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and it is more likely that than the OP is lying about it being worked on before,
Why would I pay for someone to work on the watch when I could get anything fixed for free under the warranty which ironically ran out a literally a couple of weeks before the watch stopped.

Watchfinder originally offered to fix it at cost as it was so close to the warranty period which is why I took it there.
It has definitely not been worked on by anyone else which is my point.

I just seems strange how a watch which stopped (you can wind it manually and it would work) have "the rotor axle pushed through the movement " when none else has touched it.
Old 23 April 2019, 11:25 PM   #25
galtinuk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would I pay for someone to work on the watch when I could get anything fixed for free under the warranty which ironically ran out a literally a couple of weeks before the watch stopped.

Watchfinder originally offered to fix it at cost as it was so close to the warranty period which is why I took it there.

It has definitely not been worked on by anyone else which is my point.

I just seems strange how a watch which stopped (you can wind it manually and it would work) have "the rotor axle pushed through the movement " when none else has touched it.
And strange that their own so called meticulous pre-purchase inspection did not catch it. Would be interested to hear there explanation on that..

Old 24 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #26
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
Watchfinder warranty is 12 months....unfortunately as you stated you’ve had the watch over a year so it’s no longer covered by their warranty. As such they don’t service watches as standard practice, they only check that get are running well, polish then up and pressure test them. Sounds like it need a service, send it to RSC they will send it back like a new watch with a 2 year international guarantee. If there’s no evidence of it having had a service, there a pretty good chance it’s not been serviced in a long time.....I bought my lady a 12 year old Oyster Perpetual from them, lovely watch but ran pretty slow after a year...with no evidence of a previous service, the also added it hadn’t been serviced when I phoned to check its history. I just sent it to RSC came back like new....I’ll guarantee that was it’s first service from new .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 02:39 AM   #27
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
. . .

It does seem strange, but, of course, they are just speculating.

The real issue to me is that they do not have a Rolex account, and you need new parts.

The question is, do you want it properly fixed with correct parts, or do you want this company to just get-it-running without any real future guarantees.

Sometimes peace of mind will cost you a few pounds.
Old 24 April 2019, 05:28 AM   #28
dreboi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
Les did you pay at least £100 for it by credit card? If so, under section 75, get help from your credit card provider. This is a long shot but they may be able to provide you with some advice.
This! Section 75 has saved me a couple times.
dreboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:32 AM   #29
LooseCann0n
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona,Pepsi,SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreboi View Post
This! Section 75 has saved me a couple times.
Also, you don’t need to have paid £100+ with a credit card. Even £1 will do, as long as the item costs between £100 and £30k.
However, I usually put at least £100 on the credit card (usually as a deposit or similar) for ease and I can’t be messing with tiny sums.
LooseCann0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2019, 05:35 AM   #30
GeeRam
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610, 16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001jesper View Post
If opend and worked on then the warranty is vold anyway. Note not to shop @watchfinder and send it to RSC
Hah.....their TV ad says "Every watch checked in our manufacturers certified centre" or words to that effect, so they will have opened it (even though they are not Rolex certified)

Plus,
Tudor Black Bay 'Black Rose'
Tutima 1941 Fliegerchronograph 18ct
GeeRam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage , warranty