The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2019, 01:26 AM   #121
epicurus
"TRF" Member

I cant wait till the bubble bursts!
epicurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 01:26 AM   #122
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
No, the scuffs and scratches will be taken care of at service time. Hell, I was changing the dishwasher out last year when I had my arm underneath and heard a clunk, then pulled my arm out and realized I was wearing my AP RO. I did take it off at that point.

Last spring, I was changing out a sprinkler head and saw this....

Just hosed it off and kept on working.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 01:42 AM   #123
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

i wear it and idgaf
Old 21 April 2019, 01:47 AM   #124
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfsc View Post
Anyone out there bought a Sub or other SS model with plans of using for everyday use, but ow wear it rarely because they are increasing in value?

I recently got a new Sub and wear it often, but I find myself being extra careful when I wear it because they are now hard to get.

Anyone with a similar experience?
Not an issue I worry about.
Old 21 April 2019, 03:06 AM   #125
nelsinho
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II Root Beer
I live in Chile, but I am originally from Brazil. I wear mine (a Milgauss Z Blue and a GMT II LN) regularly here. I wouldn’t do so in Brazil though, especially in Sao Paulo and Rio where there are many gangs that target Rolexes. Every time I go Brazil I wear my Bremont MBIII or my Tag Heuer Connected; these could end up being stolen from me there also, but wearing a Rolex in Sao Paulo can be life threatening unfortunately. But this has happened there for the past 20 years, so it is not related to the current bubble.
nelsinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:02 AM   #126
e dantes
2024 Pledge Member

I think it is a natural reaction to an expensive item. When I bought my 16570 earlier this year, I had never worn anything so expensive. Give it some time. Eventually you should get used to having it on your wrist. You will be busy doing other things and realize you are wearing it. If you aren't comfortable with it in a few months, then it might not be right for you. Hopefully, you get to enjoy it without a second thought.
e dantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:26 AM   #127
MercedesHand
"TRF" Member

In regards to wear and tear?

No, it's a Rolex. Not only is it beautiful. It's TOUGH and beautiful. A few scratches give it character. If you are in it for the resale value put it in your drawer and look at it. Nothing wrong with that, it's your $, your watch.

However, does it make sense to buy a Porsche 911 have it sit in your garage under a car cover and never drive it lest you put miles on the odometer devaluing a future sale? It's a killer engine that will put a smile on your face

In regards to robbery?

The only people who really notice your Rolex are WIS and criminals looking for Rolex to pawn. Rare.

Enjoy your watch. It will probably outlive you and see use in your kids lives. Thats priceless. Dont let some dead Presidents resale bubble value stop you from wearing it.
MercedesHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 05:38 AM   #128
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Of course I still wear my watches. They are timepieces not investments.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:17 AM   #129
nicon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I've had such thoughts with my previous watches, because I wasn't sure it's the watch I really want. Now I have my 16610 and it's the most expensive watch I've ever bought. However now I'm really sure I want to keep it for life and I don't really care about marks of usage.
nicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:27 AM   #130
Abarth90
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 / 18038
A friend of mine bought 2009 a kermit and wore it nearly everyday .. Til last year - "my sub is getting more valueable - i wont wear it anymore" and before he went to the Beach he took it off - ROFL.
Abarth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:07 AM   #131
love4vino
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: my wrist
I bought my watch to wear... so I wear it. I’m no Paul Newman but 40 years from now... who knows :)
love4vino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:22 AM   #132
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by denmanproject View Post
I wear mine regularly, they are meant to be worn

That’s a great shot bud! Love the colors on it.

On the topic, it’s a modern SS tool watch, wear it like it was suppose to be worn. The only time I begin to sweat is with vintage pieces and lume plots that might fall off... less so about the value more so about the aesthetics...

But that’s also why I don’t buy vintage pieces anymore.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:10 AM   #133
FreshPrince14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 & 6694
Nope... Still wear mine the exact same way I've worn it for the last 9 years. Wear it absolutely everywhere, unless I know there's a serious risk of causing damage which could just be easily avoided by taking it off (like working on my car or bike).

I treat my watches how I treat my cars. I absolutely believe in using them for their intended purpose. I'll clean them and polish them and keep them in good condition. But if my cars get a few stone chips or my watches get a few scratches then so be it... It's general wear and tear. If I can avoid unnecessarily having my car dented by a careless person who may open their door onto it, by parking it at the bottom of the car park, then I'll do exactly that.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
FreshPrince14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:24 AM   #134
173rdabn

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
I wear my watches, I don't worry about them. If you want an investment, get into the stock market, don't buy a watch. Just my two cents.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:05 AM   #135
swils8610

Hell no! I bought my SD4k to wear! I’ve never babied my watch. Never take it off when doing any kind of work. The scratches and dings are what make it mine! Although the scratch on the lug from a chop saw was a little bit to close for comfort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 06:55 PM   #136
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I enjoy wearing my watches but I am certainly more cautious about where I wear them now. This is not because of me wanting to protect their resale value, it’s because of their increased recognition to thieves.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:02 PM   #137
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
And one time when I was collecting straight razors I did the same as some are doing with watches and that is as the value was going up I used them less and less and the NOS ones were tucked away but then I finally opened my eyes and realized they were meant to be enjoyed, nothing wrong with putting on kid gloves when wearing the pricey ones but wear them and enjoy ....... that’s my plan
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:40 PM   #138
SkyJuice
"TRF" Member

I wore mine almost everyday.
SkyJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 07:58 PM   #139
jdpny
Banned

24/7 unless I'm doing something that almost guarantees damage or if there is a high amount of vibration like my hedge clippers.
jdpny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:03 PM   #140
Steve36Efc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126603
I have no plans to sell any of my watches so the perceived increase in value doesn’t affect me. I just wear and enjoy.
Omega Seamaster 300
Steve36Efc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:05 PM   #141
Dana1
Banned

An SS increasing in value is definitely a plus for owners. If your looking to make money from it, you know what to do then
Dana1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 08:32 PM   #142
dieter1403
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetracer View Post
I enjoy wearing my watches but I am certainly more cautious about where I wear them now. This is not because of me wanting to protect their resale value, it’s because of their increased recognition to thieves.

I spent 4 month during the Winter in Spain and my white 116520 was stolen directly from my wrist. 2 kids, about 15 took it and I do not know how it happened. This happened in Olivia, 15:00, in the middle of the town. I filed a police report and I was lucky, got more then I paid back from the Insurence and bought a new one with aph dial on chrono24.

Sent from my iPad with Tapatalk
dieter1403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 09:08 PM   #143
Brny11
"TRF" Member

No
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:33 PM   #144
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I wear all of my SS models regularly.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 10:42 PM   #145
rcwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rose Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by doboy007 View Post
Nope, still wear it normally.
You have to! If anything it commands more attention!
Old 22 April 2019, 12:52 AM   #146
jbenjamin1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Many
I know what the OP is trying to suggest.

If the bubble burst I wouldn't be unhappy as I like the market prices purely for bragging rights to reflect how intelligent I was saying Rolex is smart money for past few years lol.

I have zero intention of selling so could care less if value goes up or down based on scratches or a mild ding.
jbenjamin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 02:36 AM   #147
hagin
"TRF" Member

I do largely because I have no choice. Well I could wear no watch but that's crazy talk.

So up until last month I had 2 current production watches. These are cheap to appraise for insurance purposes and the insured price is typically just the MSRP. Fine. But now they're (what I would call) "vintage" (as in, no longer current production), that math changes.

A BLNR appraisal was like $20 with an MSRP of whatever it was ($8600? $9k?) with an insurance cost of $150 or so.

Now that same appraisal is probably going to cost $100-150 with an appraised value probably more like $18k. Appraisers will be conservative with something you can no longer buy off the shelf. The net effect of this is it just raises your insurance costs. Let's say for argument's sake that's now $300.

So the appraisal/insurance costs just went from $170/year to maybe $450.

I would now like to get a current production watch as my daily beater since all my watches are (now) "vintage". The increase in value is nice but I also don't plan to sell anytime soon so it doesn't really help me. It just raises costs.

Black SubCs are still _relatively_ common and are of course current production. If I had one, I'd still wear it.
hagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 04:25 AM   #148
SeaAndSky
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
No, the scuffs and scratches will be taken care of at service time. Hell, I was changing the dishwasher out last year when I had my arm underneath and heard a clunk, then pulled my arm out and realized I was wearing my AP RO. I did take it off at that point.

Last spring, I was changing out a sprinkler head and saw this....

Just hosed it off and kept on working.
I hope you realize that 75 percent of the forum won't sleep tonight now.
SeaAndSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 05:47 AM   #149
polaris72
2024 Pledge Member

Are you kidding me?
polaris72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 05:53 AM   #150
Leeh
"TRF" Member

Watch: 'es are fun
Most of the enjoyment comes from wearing it.
Leeh is offline   Reply With Quote