The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 April 2019, 02:57 AM   #1
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Does Tudor Pelagos scratch easily?

Hey guys,
I am waiting for a new Pelagos in blue to arrive and wanted to know from people with a little bit of experience with the watch if it scratches easily (more easily than a stainless steel watch)?
I've heard many rumors about it and people claiming that it's lower grade titanium that scratches super easily. Can someone confirm that?
Anyways, it's an awesome watch and I can't wait to get it.
Thanks!
Daniel23456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 03:39 AM   #2
rod442
"TRF" Member

not all that much.... but it is different.

its like the surface shows light imperfections easier, but IIRC, Ti is harder than most SS; so deep gouges wont happen easily.
Or is it the reduced mass doesn't let it get dinged as badly when making impact?
Either way, mine was preowned and after a cleanup looks just like new except a few scratches on the SS clasp.

So, in my experience.... it'll get scratches that can be "rubbed out". I do it with a wet green scotch brite pad.

In any case, you'll love it. I love mine. I hate to think I might get rid of it, but I picked up something to replace it, and I have too many blue watches as is.

So, maybe Ill get a black one to replace it.
rod442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 03:59 AM   #3
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod442 View Post
not all that much.... but it is different.

its like the surface shows light imperfections easier, but IIRC, Ti is harder than most SS; so deep gouges wont happen easily.
Or is it the reduced mass doesn't let it get dinged as badly when making impact?
Either way, mine was preowned and after a cleanup looks just like new except a few scratches on the SS clasp.

So, in my experience.... it'll get scratches that can be "rubbed out". I do it with a wet green scotch brite pad.

In any case, you'll love it. I love mine. I hate to think I might get rid of it, but I picked up something to replace it, and I have too many blue watches as is.

So, maybe Ill get a black one to replace it.
Appreciate the response.
May I ask what you acquired to replace the Pelagos? I have an Explorer 36mm which is my base collection, it is my go to do everything kind of watch. The other ones, I flip evey few months... I tried the blue pelagos and the LHD version. I couldn't resist the blue one, it is just gorgeous in person. I have a feeling this one, is going to stay. Thanks.
Old 21 April 2019, 03:59 AM   #4
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel23456 View Post
Hey guys,
I am waiting for a new Pelagos in blue to arrive and wanted to know from people with a little bit of experience with the watch if it scratches easily (more easily than a stainless steel watch)?
I've heard many rumors about it and people claiming that it's lower grade titanium that scratches super easily. Can someone confirm that?
Thanks!
Not true. I've had one for 3 years. The clasp shows more than the ti. I believe ti is higher hardness than 904l.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:04 AM   #5
~JJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer
I got my pelagos in 2012 and it still looks great, IMO. It’s been on several outdoor adventures (hiking, hunting, canoeing, biking, etc) with no issues. The clasp (SS) looks the most abused, but no worries.
~JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:06 AM   #6
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Not true. I've had one for 3 years. The clasp shows more than the ti. I believe ti is higher hardness than 904l.
Appreciate that. Thanks.
Old 21 April 2019, 04:06 AM   #7
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JJ View Post
I got my pelagos in 2012 and it still looks great, IMO. It’s been on several outdoor adventures (hiking, hunting, canoeing, biking, etc) with no issues. The clasp (SS) looks the most abused, but no worries.
Thanks for the input!
Old 21 April 2019, 04:09 AM   #8
uncleluck
"TRF" Member

Marks do seem to show on them but not sure that means they scratch easier rather than show more obviously than SS.

The beauty of the Pelagos though is you can use a garryflex block on them (like the blue ink erasers) and the small surface scratches will vanish before your eyes!
uncleluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 04:21 AM   #9
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleluck View Post
Marks do seem to show on them but not sure that means they scratch easier rather than show more obviously than SS.

The beauty of the Pelagos though is you can use a garryflex block on them (like the blue ink erasers) and the small surface scratches will vanish before your eyes!
Thanks!
Maybe the darker color makes it more obvious to the eye? I'll keep the solution in mind.
Old 21 April 2019, 04:29 AM   #10
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hey guys,
Thanks!
20190316_091544-1024x974.jpg

To hold you over.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 April 2019, 04:34 AM   #11
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Attachment 1036083

To hold you over.
Haven't been that excited for a long long time... Had a lot of flips lately but this one.... Is a special one. How do you like it? Thanks for the picture!
Old 21 April 2019, 04:45 AM   #12
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Haven't been that excited for a long long time... Had a lot of flips lately but this one.... Is a special one. How do you like it? Thanks for the picture!
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=620452

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 April 2019, 05:06 AM   #13
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great read.
Thanks!
Old 21 April 2019, 05:11 AM   #14
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great read.
Thanks!
Just for you taken today

20190420_151049-807x980.jpg
20190420_151128-971x1177.jpg

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 April 2019, 05:19 AM   #15
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just for you taken today

Attachment 1036099
Attachment 1036100
That's awesome! How did you manage to keep it looking brand new? Looks pristine! As a side note, I saw from your review that you have a 114060. Do you still have one?
Old 21 April 2019, 05:21 AM   #16
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's awesome! How did you manage to keep it looking brand new? Looks pristine! As a side note, I saw from your review that you have a 114060. Do you still have one?
Yes still have the subc.

Idk I do nothing special and I dont baby the watch. It is just well made.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 April 2019, 05:35 AM   #17
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes still have the subc.

Idk I do nothing special and I dont baby the watch. It is just well made.
Great to hear!
Do you have a favorite?
Cheers!
Old 21 April 2019, 05:45 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Great to hear!
Do you have a favorite?
Cheers!
Subc.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 21 April 2019, 06:01 AM   #19
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
From a post in TZ Forums!!!

904L stainless steel:

Tensile Strength - 490 MPa
Yield Strength - 220 MPa
Hardness - 192 Brinell scale

Titanium (Ti-6Al-4V, Grade 5)

Tensile Strength - 1170 MPa
Yield Strength - 1100 MPa
Hardness - 379 Brinell scale

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 06:04 AM   #20
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
From a post in TZ Forums!!!

904L stainless steel:

Tensile Strength - 490 MPa
Yield Strength - 220 MPa
Hardness - 192 Brinell scale

Titanium (Ti-6Al-4V, Grade 5)

Tensile Strength - 1170 MPa
Yield Strength - 1100 MPa
Hardness - 379 Brinell scale
Thanks for the info.
If I am not mistaken, they refer to the Pelagos’s titanium as a level 2?
Old 21 April 2019, 03:16 PM   #21
rod442
"TRF" Member

For the OP, I traded my 114060 (Sub nd) in on a 116613LB (bluesy).

I had previously lusted after a blue Pelagos as my personal "grail" because it was the best affordable watch that I thought I would ever own. Especially since the older Tudor subs that I had lusted after for the past decade (or more) have blown up in price. I remember looking at them in the 900-1500 range, thinking Ill get one whenever...… Now they run what a preowned sub goes for, or more.

So after a really good two year span of working my tail off, when a chance at a really nice TT sub came up; I jumped on it.
So the Tudor should go. It may not, but I could use a daily replacement for the black sub I traded. That's why a black pelagos may be the answer.

ALSO, Now that Ive gotten more sleep, I want to add to my post.

When I mentioned the light scratches that are easy to "remove" via green scotch brite pad OR the eraser method (as stated above). I would best consider them to be like the swirl marks you get on a car, in the clearcoat.

The Titanium color may make them stand out a bit, but its mostly just a scuff in the Ti oxidation layer that shows up. And a light "buff" makes them disappear. Just like a good polish on a cars finish. OBVIOUSLY a real gouge that moves metal will not buff out.

When I get home later today Ill take a pic of my watch and if it has any scuffs that I can photograph, Ill "clean it up" and show the after results. I'm quite pleased with how well the watch can be made to look good after some normal wear.

It certainly doesn't show any of the little flea bites, or very tiny dings that you can get on the mirror polished sides of a Sub case.
Old 21 April 2019, 08:05 PM   #22
bluered
Banned

Does anyone know if the mid case is the same thickness as the DS ? Looks like it to me just interested ..
bluered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:12 PM   #23
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I’ve had it for 1.5 years and for most of that time the steel clasp showed far more scratches and dings than the bracelet or case. I was in a fairly gnarly skiing accident in Utah a few months back and came down hard on the watch, which slid against the ice for a good bit. One thing to note - the scratches below are very superficial. If I run my nail against them there really isn’t much “catching” so I think it’s more a case of the titanium oxidation being worn off than anything else.

I’m not going to polish it for a year or so as a TRF test. I want to see if the oxidation come back on its own or if I need to do the eraser polish on it.

It doesn’t look nearly as bad in person as the below picture makes it out to be. You would have to be very very close to notice it on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2019, 11:48 PM   #24
liboozers
"TRF" Member

As a previous Blue Pelagos owner I will chime in. I loved the color of the blue itself when I first saw it online and even when I tried it on. I really wanted loved that blue and only other watch with it was the white gold submariner which at the time was way out of my price range. So then I finally I bought it and if you read my previous posts I got it in November but got my wife a watch but had to wait until I gave it to her to wear mine. Like a child hiding things from their parents I would go and try it on and wear it when she was at work or away for the weekend.
It was perfect at the time for me. Titanium so it was lightweight and the color wasn’t too flashy. Loved the matte bezel which with the bright blue popped but wasn’t overwhelming. The micro adjustment was a great feature also. Had the watch and wore it daily for over a year and as others have stated, it would show lines/marks but they weren’t deep that you could feel it if you ran you nail against it. The clasp was the piece that you could see/feel any marks in it due to the SS.
I would still have the watch if I didn’t have a great opportunity to pick up the Omega Planet Ocean Titanium in blue, which was my first blue watch that I always wanted but was never able to find locally. So I flipped the Pelagos and got the Omega. Every now and then I do miss the shade of blue it was.
liboozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 12:00 AM   #25
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluered View Post
Does anyone know if the mid case is the same thickness as the DS ? Looks like it to me just interested ..
14.1 mm thick.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 22 April 2019, 02:37 AM   #26
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
I’ve had it for 1.5 years and for most of that time the steel clasp showed far more scratches and dings than the bracelet or case. I was in a fairly gnarly skiing accident in Utah a few months back and came down hard on the watch, which slid against the ice for a good bit. One thing to note - the scratches below are very superficial. If I run my nail against them there really isn’t much “catching” so I think it’s more a case of the titanium oxidation being worn off than anything else.

I’m not going to polish it for a year or so as a TRF test. I want to see if the oxidation come back on its own or if I need to do the eraser polish on it.

It doesn’t look nearly as bad in person as the below picture makes it out to be. You would have to be very very close to notice it on the wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
Old 22 April 2019, 02:38 AM   #27
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liboozers View Post
As a previous Blue Pelagos owner I will chime in. I loved the color of the blue itself when I first saw it online and even when I tried it on. I really wanted loved that blue and only other watch with it was the white gold submariner which at the time was way out of my price range. So then I finally I bought it and if you read my previous posts I got it in November but got my wife a watch but had to wait until I gave it to her to wear mine. Like a child hiding things from their parents I would go and try it on and wear it when she was at work or away for the weekend.
It was perfect at the time for me. Titanium so it was lightweight and the color wasn’t too flashy. Loved the matte bezel which with the bright blue popped but wasn’t overwhelming. The micro adjustment was a great feature also. Had the watch and wore it daily for over a year and as others have stated, it would show lines/marks but they weren’t deep that you could feel it if you ran you nail against it. The clasp was the piece that you could see/feel any marks in it due to the SS.
I would still have the watch if I didn’t have a great opportunity to pick up the Omega Planet Ocean Titanium in blue, which was my first blue watch that I always wanted but was never able to find locally. So I flipped the Pelagos and got the Omega. Every now and then I do miss the shade of blue it was.
Thanks for the information! Appreciate it.
Old 22 April 2019, 03:38 AM   #28
rod442
"TRF" Member

Hope this works.

Old 22 April 2019, 05:03 AM   #29
Daniel23456
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod442 View Post
Hope this works.

wow! That's awesome! Doesn't it remove metal at all?
Old 22 April 2019, 06:40 AM   #30
rod442
"TRF" Member

I can't see any indication that it removed metal. It doesn't take much pressure to clean the surface, and I have only really done it once when I got it (pre owned). But seems safe to me that I wouldn't hesitate to do it yearly or as needed.

And as mentioned, the eraser trick does work as well. I haven't tried it because I didn't have a big one available, but it shouldn't remove any metal.