The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 April 2019, 04:19 PM   #1
Joesan
"TRF" Member

Rolex DJ 36 movement reliability

So after gathering some opinion from this forum, I decided on the DJ in 36mm with a white dial. But before I pull the trigger and get one, I have a few questions on the movement and it's reliability. I currently own a Nomos Tangente and I'm slowly getting impatient with this watch, the reason being that it looses roughly 30 seconds in a day. I travel a lot for work and this means frequenting airports and security checks. I also cook a lot, this means being near to an induction herd! I guess these two reasons might be the culprit for why my Nomos Tangente looses roughly 30 seconds a day!

Ok, now coming to the actual point - Does the Datejust 36mm movement which I guess is the 3235 has some protection against magnetic fields? From the Rolex website, I could find that the 3235 movement has resistance to shock and magnetic fields. So my question is . Is this resistance whatever offered by the 3235 movement good enough to keep a reliable time against my 2 activities that I mentioned above? What are your thoughts?
Joesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 04:29 PM   #2
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Here is some info on the 3235 versus the 3135/36

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=525333
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 04:37 PM   #3
No SUBctitute
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesan View Post
I currently own a Nomos Tangente and I'm slowly getting impatient with this watch, the reason being that it looses roughly 30 seconds in a day.
Keep in mind that there are 86400 seconds each day. So, 30 seconds off is about .04%, which is pretty good considering that all sorts of things affect a watch's accuracy, such as gravity, temperature, body movement, etc. Kidding! You may hear that from some here, but 30 seconds off a day would not work for me. Any Seiko mechanical I have owned has been more accurate than that.
No SUBctitute is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Joesan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by No SUBctitute View Post
Keep in mind that there are 86400 seconds each day. So, 30 seconds off is about .04%, which is pretty good considering that all sorts of things affect a watch's accuracy, such as gravity, temperature, body movement, etc. Kidding! You may hear that from some here, but 30 seconds off a day would not work for me. Any Seiko mechanical I have owned has been more accurate than that.
Hmm! I remember having the same problem with my NOMOS Tangente last year where I took it to the AD and he de-magnetized it. But I failed to check the accuracy after that! Now I started to look at it often times and I notice that it deviates this much in a day which to me is not acceptable. Last year when I wrote to NOMOS, they replied saying in a week, it deviates by + or - 1 to 2 minutes a week. I will track this now and see if it is within this limit!

I do not want to end up with the same situation on my DJ. Hence I wanted to clarify on the 3235 movement!
Old 22 April 2019, 06:31 PM   #5
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
So after gathering some opinion from this forum, I decided on the DJ in 36mm with a white dial. But before I pull the trigger and get one, I have a few questions on the movement and it's reliability. I currently own a Nomos Tangente and I'm slowly getting impatient with this watch, the reason being that it looses roughly 30 seconds in a day. I travel a lot for work and this means frequenting airports and security checks. I also cook a lot, this means being near to an induction herd! I guess these two reasons might be the culprit for why my Nomos Tangente looses roughly 30 seconds a day!

Ok, now coming to the actual point - Does the Datejust 36mm movement which I guess is the 3235 has some protection against magnetic fields? From the Rolex website, I could find that the 3235 movement has resistance to shock and magnetic fields. So my question is . Is this resistance whatever offered by the 3235 movement good enough to keep a reliable time against my 2 activities that I mentioned above? What are your thoughts?
No matter the movement its only as good as what its been regulated too your Nomas needs a bit of regulation I would expect.And if you are talking about magnetic in any watch in general if magnetised they speed up very seldom slow down.All modern Rolex have a parachrom hairspring which is not magnetic and should keep time to a Average -2+4 a day or less depending on mainspring power-reserve plus a few other factors when wearing, whether it has the 3135 or 3235.All the Rolex movements have a well proven history of reliability and accuracy over the past 50 years. Movements like the cal 3135 introduced in 1988 has changed very little over the years a real workhorse movement and would expect the 3235 to do likewise.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 07:14 PM   #6
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
I am still a puppy when it comes to all these high end timepieces but I could not accept a watch being off 30 secs per day, heck I about had a stroke when my DJ was running 7 spd so I sent it off to RSC and it came back a lot better but as Padi56 and others have stated even if it’s regulated perfect it’s not going to be the same on your wrist, currently mine is running a tad fast but that’s ok but 30 secs is to fast
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 07:20 PM   #7
Joesan
"TRF" Member

I'm going to monitor my NOMOS for the next couple of days to see if this 30 seconds per day delay would add up over a week and eventually being slow by 2 minutes by the end of the week.

I just wanted to know you guys opinion on the 3235 movement and so far what I see, it does have some protection against some magnetic fields which my NOMOS does not have!
Old 22 April 2019, 07:34 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
I'm going to monitor my NOMOS for the next couple of days to see if this 30 seconds per day delay would add up over a week and eventually being slow by 2 minutes by the end of the week.

I just wanted to know you guys opinion on the 3235 movement and so far what I see, it does have some protection against some magnetic fields which my NOMOS does not have!
If you fully read my post its doubtful its magnetised as in general they speed up and not slow down all it wants is simple regulation.Its mainly the hairspring that gets magnetised making it stick together and even your Nomas has a hairspring made from a anti magnetic material.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 22 April 2019, 09:27 PM   #9
Car32
"TRF" Member

From the website:

It incorporates the new Chronergy escapement patented by Rolex, which combines high energy efficiency with great dependability. Made of nickel‑phosphorus, it is also insensitive to magnetic interference.

Not sure if the rest of the movement (e.g., rotor) is made of the same material, or if it even matters as I’ve read it’s not just the escapement that can be magnetized and affect the watch. I wonder if there is any data or tests on what the magnetic resistance of the movement is and how it compares to other movements? Would love to hear from experts
Car32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Car32
"TRF" Member

Here’s info on how Omega deals with magnetism. Do Omega owners with these calibres truly not have to worry about magnetism? How to Rolex calibres compare?

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/p...le-resistibles
Old 23 April 2019, 12:11 AM   #11
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car32 View Post
Here’s info on how Omega deals with magnetism. Do Omega owners with these calibres truly not have to worry about magnetism? How to Rolex calibres compare?

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/p...le-resistibles
No one has to “worry” about magnetism, as it’s incredibly easy to solve even if it happens. Peter covered Rolex movements and their anti-magnetic properties already. What else are you looking to have answered?

My, much more expensive, AP and Lange movements are more susceptible to magnetism than any Rolex I own. When my ALS was magnetized and running 30 seconds/day fast, it cost me a $20 demagnetizer and 30 seconds to resolve.

Don’t overreact on magnetism.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 12:32 AM   #12
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
No one has to “worry” about magnetism, as it’s incredibly easy to solve even if it happens. Peter covered Rolex movements and their anti-magnetic properties already. What else are you looking to have answered?

My, much more expensive, AP and Lange movements are more susceptible to magnetism than any Rolex I own. When my ALS was magnetized and running 30 seconds/day fast, it cost me a $20 demagnetizer and 30 seconds to resolve.

Don’t overreact on magnetism.
Yes Peter covered the parachrome hairspring being insensitive two magnetism but my limited understanding isn’t that other metal parts in a movement other than the hairspring could be magnetized and affect time keeping (e.g. the escapement) as discussed by Rolex and Omega themselves per the info I provided.

I’m not worried, overreacting, but basically asking a few questions:

1) what other parts of a movement could be affected by magnetism and thus affect the movement? I think this is a valid question as Rolex describes making the escapement out of a nickel-phosphoruswhich is not affected by magnetism, and the Omega page I linked also implies its about more than just the hair spring:

Materials technology had come a long way in the intervening years, and in 2008 Omega was able to fit a Co-Axial movement with a Silicon Si14 balance spring, instantly alleviating the problem of magnetism from this major timekeeping component. That single innovation paved the way for the creation of the all-new Co-axial calibre 8508 that completely eradicated the problem of magnetism once and for all by re-engineering further movement parts using selected non-ferrous materials, including titanium and nickel-phosphorus.

2) The same Omega page says that the new Aquaterra can withstand magnetic fields of > 15,000 guass. How do Rolex movements compare, especially the new 32XX series, has there been any rating info published?

I’m obviously not an expert, just trying to get more educated with some facts and figures.

BTW, do you have a link to the demagnetized you bought?
Old 23 April 2019, 12:51 AM   #13
zjd168
"TRF" Member

My dj 36 is the most accurate one in my Rolex collection, less then 5 s/month!
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 02:09 AM   #14
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Rolex DJ 36 movement reliability

Quote:
Yes Peter covered the parachrome hairspring being insensitive two magnetism but my limited understanding isn’t that other metal parts in a movement other than the hairspring could be magnetized and affect time keeping (e.g. the escapement) as discussed by Rolex and Omega themselves per the info I provided.

I’m not worried, overreacting, but basically asking a few questions:

1) what other parts of a movement could be affected by magnetism and thus affect the movement? I think this is a valid question as Rolex describes making the escapement out of a nickel-phosphoruswhich is not affected by magnetism, and the Omega page I linked also implies its about more than just the hair spring:

Materials technology had come a long way in the intervening years, and in 2008 Omega was able to fit a Co-Axial movement with a Silicon Si14 balance spring, instantly alleviating the problem of magnetism from this major timekeeping component. That single innovation paved the way for the creation of the all-new Co-axial calibre 8508 that completely eradicated the problem of magnetism once and for all by re-engineering further movement parts using selected non-ferrous materials, including titanium and nickel-phosphorus.

2) The same Omega page says that the new Aquaterra can withstand magnetic fields of > 15,000 guass. How do Rolex movements compare, especially the new 32XX series, has there been any rating info published?

I’m obviously not an expert, just trying to get more educated with some facts and figures.

BTW, do you have a link to the demagnetized you bought?

It was not “innovative” to use non-ferrous balance spring materials in 2008 given that Rolex launched the Parachrom blue in 2005. It was Omega playing catch-up. Don’t believe all the marketing you read. (By the way, Rolex wasn’t the first in 2005 either.)

George Daniels co-axial escapement has nothing to do with magnetism.

Demagnetizer (sorry, $12 not $20) here: https://www.amazon.com/Screwdriver-M...gateway&sr=8-3
Old 23 April 2019, 03:09 AM   #15
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
It was not “innovative” to use non-ferrous balance spring materials in 2008 given that Rolex launched the Parachrom blue in 2005. It was Omega playing catch-up. Don’t believe all the marketing you read. (By the way, Rolex wasn’t the first in 2005 either.)

Demagnetizer (sorry, $12 not $20) here: https://www.amazon.com/Screwdriver-M...gateway&sr=8-3
The first Rolex movement to use a parachrom hairspring was the cal 4130 in the Daytona back in 2000 but in those days it was grey in colour and not in today's chemically changed blue parachrom.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 23 April 2019, 04:28 AM   #16
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
The first Rolex movement to use a parachrom hairspring was the cal 4130 in the Daytona back in 2000 but in those days it was grey in colour and not in today's chemically changed blue parachrom.
Padi,

My understanding was that the “parachrom” name started when Rolex began making their own hairsprings internally and stopped buying from Nivarox, but those were still out of ferrous metal. The Parachrom “blue” was the first that was non-ferrous / non-magnetic. Do I have that history wrong?

Thanks.

Edited: Nevermind, I just looked and the 2000 Parachrom release was the anti-magnetic material. The “blue” update claims some durability/longevity treatment as well as the distinctive color. So, even earlier than I originally thought.
Old 23 April 2019, 11:21 AM   #17
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It’s not about believing any marketing, I asked two specific questions and used those quotes/links to help help illustrate. If you don’t have the answers thats fine as well.
Old 23 April 2019, 12:19 PM   #18
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It’s not about believing any marketing, I asked two specific questions and used those quotes/links to help help illustrate. If you don’t have the answers thats fine as well.

In terms of other parts of the movement, only the balance/escapement directly contribute to timekeeping. I’m not aware of any tests where individual components (many of which are non-ferrous already) were independently magnetized, then timekeeping compared.

The Milgauss has published anti-magnetism specs of at least 1000 gauss. Rolex hasn’t published specific tolerances for any of the others that I’ve seen.

Blancpain moved to a non-ferrous balance spring on the 1151 movement and subsequently stopped using the faraday cage that was previously employed in the FF for magnetism resistance.

Any modern movement using a non-ferrous balance spring should be largely resistant to the effects of magnetism.
Old 23 April 2019, 12:27 PM   #19
Car32
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In terms of other parts of the movement, only the balance/escapement directly contribute to timekeeping. I’m not aware of any tests where individual components (many of which are non-ferrous already) were independently magnetized, then timekeeping compared.

The Milgauss has published anti-magnetism specs of at least 1000 gauss. Rolex hasn’t published specific tolerances for any of the others that I’ve seen.

Blancpain moved to a non-ferrous balance spring on the 1151 movement and subsequently stopped using the faraday cage that was previously employed in the FF for magnetism resistance.

Any modern movement using a non-ferrous balance spring should be largely resistant to the effects of magnetism.
Great, thanks for the info, this is helpful!
Old 23 April 2019, 02:48 PM   #20
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Well, at least no one here's belly-aching about price and supply issues.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2019, 11:54 PM   #21
Johny
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub 16610Lv
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Well, at least no one here's belly-aching about price and supply issues.
Old 3 May 2019, 02:22 PM   #22
Joesan
"TRF" Member

AD is ready to offer 10% discount on the current DJ model. Should I go for it or better wait for the new DJ with the new movement?
Old 3 May 2019, 03:41 PM   #23
mmmmp
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Wimbledon DJ41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
Me too. However, the OP's irrational concern for magnetism is as boring as our daily SS supply issues. At least when posting about the lack of Rolex product / AD service / etc. there's always some 'fire and fury' or humorous replies, and a sense of "yeah, the market is nuts- but we're all in this together"! A nice sensibly when discussing a bad situation. We WIS are a lot of things, but we stick together!

Whatever the Op's intentions, please OP, don't worry about a watch you don't even own. If you don't sleep in an MRI chamber and do not store your watch in a loudspeaker or PA system, the DJ will be fine. You received great info, don't worry so much pal.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
mmmmp is offline   Reply With Quote