The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 9 July 2023, 06:43 AM   #1
WestCoaster
"TRF" Member

My father's other watch - advice wanted

So now that the quick and knowledgable replies concerning my father's Rolex ref. 6426 answered my questions (in the Vintage Rolex Forum), I'm hoping that a simpler question on his other watch might also be helpful.

The watch in question is a Wyler chronograph, probably purchased in the mid to late '50s. Hand wind, 34mm case. Small seconds at 9, 30 minute counter at 3. Face is marked 'Wyler' and 'INCABLOC', but I have a vague recollection of Dad possibly having the face re-finished around 1970, so who knows what the original might have said.

The main timepiece works with reasonable accuracy, although the reserve time isn't terribly good (about 27 hours). The chrono function is non-op. The upper pusher clicks, but nothing happens. The lower clicks as well, but since the stopwatch function is dead, there's no way to know if the flyback reset would still work.

I have not found much info on the Wylers of this period, and have no idea what movement they may have used. I strongly suspect parts for this watch are virtually non-existent, unless the calibre is something semi-standard. I am doubtful.

What I'd like to get are recommendations of someone who might be able to bring this watch back to full functionality. I do not want any cosmetic work, maybe just a new crystal. But making the chrono function as it should would be my goal. Even if that meant replacing the guts with something newer and more standard.

So please pass on recommendations of to whom you might send a watch like this for repair work. Thanks in advance for your advice.

IMG_3406.jpg
WestCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 08:20 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Depending on where you are, you might try:

Zimmermans in PA

Phillip Ridley in AZ

Rik Dietel in FLA

Nesbit's in WA
Old 9 July 2023, 09:25 AM   #3
Spartan2009
"TRF" Member

Little Watch Shop in Houston TX

They have guys older than dirt that have been servicing all kinds of watches. They serviced my great grandfather’s pocket watch (300 year old Swiss movement) and my 1921 Hamilton pocket watch.
Spartan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 10:37 AM   #4
WestCoaster
"TRF" Member

Thanks for these. I will see if I can contact some of them.

I did a little more searching, and it looks like Wyler used one of the Valjoux 23 variations in these watches. So maybe parts will be easier to come by than I feared.
WestCoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2023, 01:57 PM   #5
kunlun
"TRF" Member

Roland G Murphy, RGM watches would be perfect to service this
kunlun is offline   Reply With Quote