The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 January 2010, 03:25 AM   #121
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
Rolex is smart....now offerring different sizes in some models in their watch line will appeal to folks who are into big watches.
Dr. Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 03:30 AM   #122
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasuretim View Post
it is a watch for stock brokers
You are so right, Tim! That's all I see at the trading floor at work! DSSDs - and Daytonas!
Old 18 January 2010, 05:23 AM   #123
Zirotti
"TRF" Member

Watch: Invicta
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGio Greece View Post
I could NOT agree more. I had my time with diving, both military and in private, a watch of this size is a danger , gets in the way and obstructs operations.
Exactly, because a DSSD is bigger than your average dive computers:

Wait, no it's not.
Zirotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 07:01 AM   #124
Clogger

Watch: SS Sub Date
Removed.
Clogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 11:55 AM   #125
moby33
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Omega/Seiko
News flash guys & gals...ALL Rolex sport watches, be it Sub, SD, GMT or DSSD are really just jewelry these days...nobody NEEDS one for a safe dive/flight and therefore 99.9% of the time they are worn to tell time and because they are the fashion choice of the owner. I've dove w/ my Sub...and I didn't need it. I've dove w/ my SD...and I didn't need it. And I've dove w/ my DSSD...and yes, I didn't really need it. So what?

The fact that some people on this forum, and this thread in particular, can get SSSSOOOO defensive/critical/judgmental and just down right vicious over the merits (or perceived lack thereof) of a watch is pretty laughable IMO.

Wear what you love and forget all the other BS talk (and that goes for also being mature enough to realize your taste might not be the same as others, but that DOESN'T mean your taste is better than others). We can all debate these points until we're blue in the face...but in the end it's a pointless endeavor.

When I read posts that attack to the degree I've seen in some of these posts, I have to sit back and wonder, "Wow...that dude is dealing with a lot bigger issues beyond what is a 'good' or 'bad' watch!"

Yikes!!! Chill out and grab a beer...everyone involved would benefit I'm sure. Cheers.
moby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 11:57 AM   #126
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
It is striking how much smaller the dial is on the DSSD than the Submariner. Even though the DSSD has the MAxi Dial which helps make it look larger it is in fact quite smaller than the Sub. It is probably smaller than the old Seadweller as well. That is a shame.

That is EXACTLY why I sold mine. I am looking at the new Submariner Ceramic to get just as much dial, with a bit less watch.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 12:32 PM   #127
Green Arrow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjb.knife View Post
I find it interesting how many forumers think that the DSSD is too large. It is smaller than many watches that are very popular like most Panerais, Omega Planet Ocean, and many others. Also I think it is interesting how many think that the DSSD is a great Engineering Achievement when it is so far beyond anything even remotely useful. I look at it very differently in that I think the size is not that overdone but the Engineering is. The engineering was overdone in the form of the ring at the expense of the dial size making it even less useful. I am going to look at the first one that my AD has gotten in tomorrow and I will have the chance to buy it but unless it is very different in person I doubt that I will. In defense of the DSSD I do like several of it's features like the larger crown, the domed crystal, the bracelet and clasp and the maxi dial and hands as well as the blue lume.

Skip it. It doesn't have the dial real estate of the GP that you and I have both owned, but it is just as heavy and bulky. You get just as much dial in the Submariner, and with the new Ceramic version with the Maxi-dial in the blue lume, (Rolex's best to date) and a glidelock adjustable bracelet (getting rid of the curved pin problem that you didn't like on the GP) you have a better choice. IMHO as a former owner of course.
Green Arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 12:36 PM   #128
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysabres View Post
disgustingly garish, worn by david beckham, nuff said! i own a 1680 sub, a 16550 cream dailed explorer 11, a 16600 sea dweller and a vintage yellow gold day/date that i inherited from my father, i wouldnt touch the sdds with a barge pole! how stupid of rolex, to make what is supposed to be their most hard core tool watch into an oversized disgusting attention grabbing piece of atrotious bling! it goes deeper than the mariana trench, the deepest part of the ocean in the world. having said that, i'm sure that a lot of the "johnny come lately" nuevo rolex afficinados will pounce on the possibility of owning one. unforgiveable, hans wilsdorf and alfred davis must be turning in their graves! the only saving grace about the sdds is the blue lume.
Can't seem to be sorry about your bad luck, or you opining on about your garish taste, or lack of actual facts!

Just can't even feel ....
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 12:59 PM   #129
Pep04
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTIIc, Pam320
The third picture is the one that makes me want to run out and get one. It looks like a huge hunk of solid metal. Makes you feel like "THIS IS WHERE MY MONEY WENT!!!!!" Seriously, the watch is thick and looks like a mans watch.

I never gave it much thought. Just thought of it as "just another model". But then I saw a guy at a restaurant wearing one. He caught me staring and showed it to me. MAN was I impressed. You really have to feel it on your wrist to appreciate it's size and how it wears so comfortable.

Maybe in the next couple of months. But I really want a Panerai maybe 312.

We'll see what happens.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin
Prick #8
Pep04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2010, 10:31 PM   #130
The GMT Kid

Watch: what you say!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey View Post
a colleague sitting next to me... saw the above pics and asked... is that a his and hers model?? lol
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzzzer View Post
To answer a previous question, the dial is very glossy.

Also an interesting tidbit is that the booklet that comes with the Deepsea is a Submariner brochure that doesn't even mention the Deepsea in it.
Actually, it is a matte dial and mine came with a DEEPSEA booklet.

I'm going to let the watch itself (on my small 7" wrist) say what needs to be said.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1965-3.jpg (289.9 KB, 228 views)
The GMT Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 05:26 AM   #131
tonysabres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirotti View Post
Clueless ;)
and what makes you such an authority on rolex's if i am clueless?
tonysabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 05:32 AM   #132
tonysabres
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snow_rocks View Post
Can't seem to be sorry about your bad luck, or you opining on about your garish taste, or lack of actual facts!

Just can't even feel ....
please elaborate
tonysabres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 05:38 AM   #133
Gagebuilder
"TRF" Member

Watch: out for yelow snow
I think his facts are off ... a little.

35,840 ft is the deepest point in the ocean.

http://geology.com/records/deepest-p...he-ocean.shtml

Last edited by Gagebuilder; 19 January 2010 at 05:40 AM.. Reason: add
Gagebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 05:52 AM   #134
spuds
"TRF" Member

Watch: West Ham! COYI!!
Well I love the size of it but I'm in two minds about the writing.....

Still. I can't afford one anyway so it's not really something I need concern myself with too much eh?!

Life is not about how fast you can run or how high you can climb...........
It's about how well you can bounce!!

TRF HALL OF FAME JANUARY 2010
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 06:55 AM   #135
Joe750

I went in for a second time to try on this watch. The shock of the first time has worn off, and I was able to really judge the size. It is, unfortunately, too large for me for an everyday watch, but I really, really like it. It's got presence, that's for sure, and the heft is amazing. I love the dome and the lack of cyclops. I bet if I try it on a third time, I'll fall in love. Too bad these will be north of $10k soon!
Joe750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 07:55 AM   #136
m_reign
"TRF" Member

First time I tried it on, I didn't like it that much and walked away, but second time was completely different. I think the DSSD is one of those watches that takes some time to get used to and I love mine now.
m_reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 08:05 AM   #137
snow_rocks
Banned

Watch: the SKY tonite!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysabres View Post
please elaborate
for the same reason you made your post.
snow_rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 09:10 AM   #138
Sonny Crockett

Watch: TT Yacht Master
Hands down the best watch in the Rolex line up, incredibly gorgeous in every way. I own one and I have owned 3 Subs and there is no comparison, by the way I have also owned a Sea Dweller. best thing rolex did was make the DSSD. the SD was close in looks to the sub... I'm 6'0" tall 200 LBS it's my everyday watch and wouldn't want any other I have found the best!!!
Sonny Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2010, 09:38 AM   #139
Subdialler
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD & SD
Own both SD & DSSD. 32 consecutive days now of the DSSD.... so please read into this what you want!! You need to try this baby, making sure it is properly sized before you can safely comment!!

Many will end up owning this, it's just a matter of time and realisation.
Subdialler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 01:55 AM   #140
David Maddern
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting the photos .

The dssd looks great and a welcome replacement to the old sub !

I just wished Rolex had showed more commitment and ..

a) made the watch 45mm - 46mm ( a conservatively large sized watch by todays standards )

b) created a thicker and wider bracelet and clasp to match the watch . I can only assume the Rolex companies tight bean counter was responsible canning the budget for the bracelet development ?

I have no doubt many ....aaaaah ....... lets say mature Rolex owners will disagree with my ideals so fire when ready .....
David Maddern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 02:06 AM   #141
Clogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
Hands down the best watch in the Rolex line up, incredibly gorgeous in every way. I own one and I have owned 3 Subs and there is no comparison, by the way I have also owned a Sea Dweller. best thing rolex did was make the DSSD. the SD was close in looks to the sub... I'm 6'0" tall 200 LBS it's my everyday watch and wouldn't want any other I have found the best!!!
I wonder why you have decided to get rid of it then?? Umm strange
Old 26 January 2010, 02:12 AM   #142
rsg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Maddern View Post
Thanks for posting the photos .

The dssd looks great and a welcome replacement to the old sub !

I just wished Rolex had showed more commitment and ..

b) created a thicker and wider bracelet and clasp to match the watch
I tried one on a while back and the bracelet is the one thing I think they could have done better.
rsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 02:18 AM   #143
1000ftSub
"TRF" Member

The Deepsea is a beast!!!
1000ftSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 02:27 AM   #144
Juggernaut
"TRF" Member

Great comparison shots! thanks!!
I think the Submariner is more than enough for I'd say 90% of ALL divers out there, and when the need arises to go to depths in excess of 300M, the SDDS is there for those few. I can't see it being a daily wearer by any stretch of the imagination even if you WERE a world class body builder. It would be like a trying to hide a huge wrist tumor under your sleeve. A very specialized tool watch for a very specific purpose.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 03:22 AM   #145
SeamasterGMT
"TRF" Member

Watch: DeepSea
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
Great comparison shots! thanks!!
I think the Submariner is more than enough for I'd say 90% of ALL divers out there, and when the need arises to go to depths in excess of 300M, the SDDS is there for those few. I can't see it being a daily wearer by any stretch of the imagination even if you WERE a world class body builder. It would be like a trying to hide a huge wrist tumor under your sleeve. A very specialized tool watch for a very specific purpose.
Oh PLEASE! People like YOU are the reason Rolex is starting to get an image of "watch for older people". Do you seriuosly believe the Deepsea is THAT big?

Ask many of the Omega and Breitling owners here. Most of their watches are just as thick and bigger in diameter than the Deepsea.

You just stick to your little dress watches which probably look very good on your puny wrist and let us boys live an active life with our watches that we can do EVERYTHING with.
Old 26 January 2010, 03:28 AM   #146
Gerardus
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♕
Congratz and thanxs, very nice pics!

♕16570 ♕126610 ♕126333
Gerardus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 03:39 AM   #147
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post
Oh PLEASE! People like YOU are the reason Rolex is starting to get an image of "watch for older people". Do you seriuosly believe the Deepsea is THAT big?

Ask many of the Omega and Breitling owners here. Most of their watches are just as thick and bigger in diameter than the Deepsea.

You just stick to your little dress watches which probably look very good on your puny wrist and let us boys live an active life with our watches that we can do EVERYTHING with.
If you're serious about this post, then you need to probably adjust your attitude towards other forum members.

I can't claim to speak for everyone with an active lifestyle. However, I am a pretty active person. FWIW I like my Explorer-II much better than my Sub for wear while biking, hiking, running, playing tennis, and other outdoor pursuits. Expy is lighter and the weight is more balanced; Sub always slid down on my wrist when I got sweaty, making for an uncomfortable position when your wrist needs to hinge. Switched to the NATO on the Sub and it's much better. I've tried on a DSSD and I couldn't imagine trying to run more than a couple of miles with it on--to keep it from flopping or sliding, you'd have to make it uncomfortably tight. The Expy or Sub can handle all of MY active pursuits, but I haven't tried running, climbing, biking, swimming, etc. 1000ft under water yet.

And I'm 34 years old, and an Army Officer. I wear a suit once or twice a month. I have a six handicap at golf. I must be waaaay too old and stuffy to wear a real man's watch.

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
CPTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 05:59 AM   #148
Clogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamasterGMT View Post

Interesting post, I am 30 years old and a Commercial Deep Sea Diver working in the Oil and Gas industry and I quite like the "little dress watches" ie Seadweller and Submariner as do many of my co workers, guess my wrists are too puny and I am not active enough to wear any thing bigger!!! LOL
Old 26 January 2010, 06:17 AM   #149
Daytonamania
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Daytona/DSSD/LV
Dear me the level of Testosterone round here is astounding.
Like it or loath it ,the DSSD is here to stay.
Only just taken the stickers off mine today feels real good,only wish i was a commercial diver to try it out but alas only PADI trained.
Relax guys there is no such thing as a bad Rolex only different opinions which must be respected.
Thanks.
Daytonamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2010, 06:24 AM   #150
Clogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonamania View Post
Dear me the level of Testosterone round here is astounding.
Like it or loath it ,the DSSD is here to stay.
Only just taken the stickers off mine today feels real good,only wish i was a commercial diver to try it out but alas only PADI trained.
Relax guys there is no such thing as a bad Rolex only different opinions which must be respected.
Thanks.
Lend it me and I will happily get it locked into Saturation for you