The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 November 2018, 02:40 PM   #1
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Buying NEW 15300 from France for $19k

Hey guys,

Just got a BNIB 15300 white for $19k, would like your thoughts. I know I can get a 15400 for about the same with tax. But the 39mm size got to me, its much better, even for my 7in wrists.

I bought from Chrono24, from an apparent trusted seller, lots of good IG presence and lots of previous deals on Chrono24. Ships from France.

I'm concerned about import taxes, not sure what those will be.

It is essentially new old stock, which I dig. I paid a bit extra from a used one that has some use to it.

I wanted one last piece to 'close out' my collection () for some years and somewhat replace my 5167 which I traded in for my current 5164. Kind of a pool side watch.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 03:08 PM   #2
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

blue dial?
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 03:22 PM   #3
CoveWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & AP
You're on a roll! Congratulations!
CoveWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 03:55 PM   #4
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeamer View Post
blue dial?
White

Old 19 November 2018, 03:55 PM   #5
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoveWatch View Post
You're on a roll! Congratulations!
Or unhinged???

Old 19 November 2018, 08:38 PM   #6
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Dude, that's a good price. The reason why I went with 15400 is caz I could not find a 15300. Best proportions IMHO.
Old 19 November 2018, 09:45 PM   #7
walds11
"TRF" Member

Congrats man! That’s not a bad price for a LNIB white dial example. There’s a G serial white dial in good condition for sale here on TRF for $17,000 from a TS.

I got my feet with wet with a RO via a 15300. I couldn’t pull it off on my 6.5” wrist, so returned it and got a 15450 blue dial.
Old 19 November 2018, 09:51 PM   #8
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Good choice for a 5164, about same size.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 10:32 PM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Congrats!
Thinking about getting into AP with a 15300... but have never seen one in person .. thoughts on dial colors ? I see black and white but hard to tell from pics which is more “mesmerizing” in real life , and not sure if there are other colors besides these two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 12:37 AM   #10
jdkrut
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR16 View Post
Congrats!
Thinking about getting into AP with a 15300... but have never seen one in person .. thoughts on dial colors ? I see black and white but hard to tell from pics which is more “mesmerizing” in real life , and not sure if there are other colors besides these two.

I think the order of value is blue, black, white. All three are beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdkrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 06:38 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkrut View Post
I think the order of value is blue, black, white. All three are beautiful.

I'd avoid blue, it's very dark, navy really, and a bit dated with the new petrol blues on the ROs.
Old 20 November 2018, 07:57 AM   #12
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I'd avoid blue, it's very dark, navy really, and a bit dated with the new petrol blues on the ROs.

Thanks for the advice. In real world lighting conditions , which would you say is more legible at a glance - white or black ? My eyes are getting older and contrast seems to be becoming more important. Ugh.

Old 20 November 2018, 08:20 AM   #13
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. In real world lighting conditions , which would you say is more legible at a glance - white or black ? My eyes are getting older and contrast seems to be becoming more important. Ugh.

Always a white dial!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 08:51 AM   #14
Bimmy
"TRF" Member

I have the black dial and love it.

I would caution anyone from buying any white dial watch without trying it on first. I like the looks of a white dial, but it just didn’t look right on my wrist. I also think a black dial with the silver hands stands out more and easier to tell the time than a white dial and the silver hands which can blend together in the right light.
Bimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 01:36 PM   #15
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
If truly BNIB, the price is very fair. I love both the white and blue variations.

red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 02:24 PM   #16
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Nice.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 08:48 PM   #17
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The white, but I prefer the silver/white on the 400 so I think black is best for the 300.
Old 20 November 2018, 09:46 PM   #18
Skanse
"TRF" Member

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 20 November 2018, 10:05 PM   #19
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
The white, but I prefer the silver/white on the 400 so I think black is best for the 300.

Old 20 November 2018, 11:05 PM   #20
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Buying NEW 15300 from France for $19k

15300 is where it's at. I get the jumbo adoration but for me, lack of a second hand is just a deal breaker, it's the heartbeat of the watch! So same 39mm, slightly more heft, second hand and screw down crown? It's the winner for me!

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 12:07 AM   #21
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, VC, RLX, BP
I tried a blue 15300 last year (used), as well as 15400 from the boutique...then spent 1 min with 15202 on, and boy, what a nice watch it was. Fast forward 6 months, I got it from the boutique and could not be happier - its not an everyday watch indeed as it is a lot more delicate than the other ROs, but it just feels so right the second you put it on. Enjoy your 15300, and give a Jumbo a try after a while, just so you can compare and contrast.
korneevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 08:22 AM   #22
DGB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korneevy View Post
I tried a blue 15300 last year (used), as well as 15400 from the boutique...then spent 1 min with 15202 on, and boy, what a nice watch it was. Fast forward 6 months, I got it from the boutique and could not be happier - its not an everyday watch indeed as it is a lot more delicate than the other ROs, but it just feels so right the second you put it on. Enjoy your 15300, and give a Jumbo a try after a while, just so you can compare and contrast.

Same with me,
I wanted the 15300, a better watch (so I thought), but ended with a 15202 once I saw one and tried it.
Once you have the iconic 15202, you understand why it is superior to any other 39mm.

DGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:08 PM   #23
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Mate does the jumbo look even more delicate than 15400? I have the 15400 and already think it’s the most delicate watch I have ever owned - yet the most beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2018, 10:51 PM   #24
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
Mate does the jumbo look even more delicate than 15400? I have the 15400 and already think it’s the most delicate watch I have ever owned - yet the most beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Jumbo makes 15400 feel like a tractor on steroids, haha. It is much much more delicate package overall, in my view - the movement is super thin and pretty finicky, the case work is unbelievable but done on a smaller scale given its smaller size, the bracelet is a work of art but thinner than 15400 etc etc etc. I can’t see wearing a Jumbo as an everyday watch - it’s a once a week, a Michelin dinner sort of occasion only for me. I’ve got an AP diver I can play ice hockey with, so I am not fussed but I could see people thinking it’s way too delicate for a one watch situation, and I’d totally agree. I also think it’s the most beautiful object I’ve ever owned so I gave zero regrets and sort of anticipate an occasion whenever I put it on next.

Old 30 December 2018, 11:12 PM   #25
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Jumbo makes 15400 feel like a tractor on steroids, haha. It is much much more delicate package overall, in my view - the movement is super thin and pretty finicky, the case work is unbelievable but done on a smaller scale given its smaller size, the bracelet is a work of art but thinner than 15400 etc etc etc. I can’t see wearing a Jumbo as an everyday watch - it’s a once a week, a Michelin dinner sort of occasion only for me. I’ve got an AP diver I can play ice hockey with, so I am not fussed but I could see people thinking it’s way too delicate for a one watch situation, and I’d totally agree. I also think it’s the most beautiful object I’ve ever owned so I gave zero regrets and sort of anticipate an occasion whenever I put it on next.

Beautiful and very detailed reply. Thanks mate. I have RO that I’m using everyday without any issues, so yeah I can actually imagine what you mean. A more thinner AP would definitely be more delicate indeed. :)

Old 31 December 2018, 01:34 PM   #26
holdtime
Banned

15450 Blue.for small wrist.
holdtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 01:36 PM   #27
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtabs View Post
Hey guys,

Just got a BNIB 15300 white for $19k, would like your thoughts. I know I can get a 15400 for about the same with tax. But the 39mm size got to me, its much better, even for my 7in wrists.

I bought from Chrono24, from an apparent trusted seller, lots of good IG presence and lots of previous deals on Chrono24. Ships from France.

I'm concerned about import taxes, not sure what those will be.

It is essentially new old stock, which I dig. I paid a bit extra from a used one that has some use to it.

I wanted one last piece to 'close out' my collection () for some years and somewhat replace my 5167 which I traded in for my current 5164. Kind of a pool side watch.

This is 15400 on my 6.5” wrist and I absolutely love it and think it fits brilliantly.

Old 31 December 2018, 02:03 PM   #28
korneevy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horolojust View Post
This is 15400 on my 6.5” wrist and I absolutely love it and think it fits brilliantly.

I think it does fit your wrist well - but what i found with RO, much more so than other round shape watches, is that it’s not just the size of your wrist but it’s curvature as well. My wrist is bigger than yours (7 inch), but 15400 fits it terribly as yours is looking rather flat and mine is much more rounded hence the jugs are hanging off and the watch just looks off. On the other hand, the Diver for me looks much better and fits more comfortably than smaller APs such as 15400, but nothing beats the Jumbo in my case as it is just perfect. I’ve found recommending others anything in RO or ROO unseen is a waste of time - these watches need to be tried and if possible, worn for a few hours in order to understand whether the size and fit is right.
Old 31 December 2018, 02:08 PM   #29
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

yes, get the white 300!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2018, 02:09 PM   #30
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think it does fit your wrist well - but what i found with RO, much more so than other round shape watches, is that it’s not just the size of your wrist but it’s curvature as well. My wrist is bigger than yours (7 inch), but 15400 fits it terribly as yours is looking rather flat and mine is much more rounded hence the jugs are hanging off and the watch just looks off. On the other hand, the Diver for me looks much better and fits more comfortably than smaller APs such as 15400, but nothing beats the Jumbo in my case as it is just perfect. I’ve found recommending others anything in RO or ROO unseen is a waste of time - these watches need to be tried and if possible, worn for a few hours in order to understand whether the size and fit is right.

Yes I understand what you mean and completely agreed that my wrist being totally flat does help the RO at 41mm and lug to lug at 51mm to wear well; but for rounder profile wrists, yes, the lugs will flare out and that’s will be a deal breaker for me as well.

Yes, to anyone considering this, pls do try in the shop as there’s no one universal rule that you can apply and even though RO 15400 may flare out of wrist at 7 inches, it may be a good fit for 6.5” - interesting but true :)

This is another one for your eyes and this is 41mm ROC which is even more thicker and chunkier than 15400 but I absolutely love the fit on my tiny-ish wrist size 6.5”