The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 19 November 2018, 05:39 AM   #61
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Just last weekend in Atlantic City. Was at a dance club with my buddies and this 20 something kid comes over and sees my AP and says it's a sick watch. Then he asks me if he could try it on? What? I told him, I would let him try it on if he let's me put him in a head lock. He took off . Didn't seem right.
Similar thing happened to me at the lobby bar at the Ritz. I knew he wasn’t going be able to run off so I took it off and let him try it on. When he went to take it off he dropped it on the tile floor. Last time my watch ever comes off my wrist in public.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 05:49 AM   #62
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
Similar thing happened to me at the lobby bar at the Ritz. I knew he wasn’t going be able to run off so I took it off and let him try it on. When he went to take it off he dropped it on the tile floor. Last time my watch ever comes off my wrist in public.

Yeah don’t think I would let someone else I didn’t know well (family, colleague, friend) try it on.

What was the outcome ? I would like to think he would have offered to pay for any damage caused.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 06:01 AM   #63
1st amg
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
OMG, that is my worst nightmare, letting someone try on a watch and it hitting the floor....I feel like you told that story here once and I cringed.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 06:22 AM   #64
singe89
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
Yeah don’t think I would let someone else I didn’t know well (family, colleague, friend) try it on.

What was the outcome ? I would like to think he would have offered to pay for any damage caused.
Actually got lucky and didn’t scratch it and the movement is still running +3 sec years later. It was a SS ROO on rubber strap so must have gotten lucky and landed strap down to soften the landing. I learned my lesson.

Another funny story is of my wife dropping and kicking her RO. It’s the Lady RO that came on a leather strap but I changed it over to rubber. She adjusted the size and didn’t securly push the post through the hole on the strap. She was carrying our toddler and it fell off her wrist and during the fall hit her foot mid stride and slid across the parking lot. only a few light scratches. That watch has taken some abuse over the last 6 years and still looks great. Who says APs can’t take a beating
Old 19 November 2018, 06:47 AM   #65
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually got lucky and didn’t scratch it and the movement is still running +3 sec years later. It was a SS ROO on rubber strap so must have gotten lucky and landed strap down to soften the landing. I learned my lesson.

Another funny story is of my wife dropping and kicking her RO. It’s the Lady RO that came on a leather strap but I changed it over to rubber. She adjusted the size and didn’t securly push the post through the hole on the strap. She was carrying our toddler and it fell off her wrist and during the fall hit her foot mid stride and slid across the parking lot. only a few light scratches. That watch has taken some abuse over the last 6 years and still looks great. Who says APs can’t take a beating

Yes very lucky I would say - on both occasions.

Agree fully, APs are tough watches and the perception otherwise isn’t a reflection of anything more than cosmetic finishing changes, which is a totally different matter altogether.

On a side note - I do have a special personal third party liability insurance (it’s basically a must have here) which would cover something like dropping someone else’s watch by accident and covering the damage cost. Something like up to 10m€ cover globally for around €80 a year. Never needed it yet, but nice to have for those ‘just in case/oh $ht’ moments !!

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2018, 09:17 AM   #66
ragsk
Banned

Never any attention at all apart from at other watch shops. Their showroom staff often want to look at the 15407 and the IP.

My mates love the ROO CE and they have commented on it - a couple even tried it on an one borrowed it for the weekend. They like the look of it but between them they would not recognise an AP from their elbow. Most have never even heard of the brand.

My most commented on watch - I promise this - is the 45mm Rose Gold IWC Yacht Club. For example during a shopping trip I had three comments on it including two from random strangers who just approached me and a sales lady in Ferragamo who said it was a stunning watch. Happens all the time with that one.....feel slightly uncomfortable about it.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 01:42 AM   #67
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Never been asked about my AP. Only received a stare once (at the watch). Was sitting in a waiting area while the mrs. was trying on some clothes and another guy came into the waiting area as well and stood across from me. He literally rolled up his watch sleeve to reveal a a YM2. I chuckled a bit as it most obvious presentation of a watch.

Anyways, I was using my phone with my left hand and I guess my AP snuck out a bit of sleeve and guy was staring at my wrist entire time before I left.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 06:36 AM   #68
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I notice other's watches far more often than I've caught someone staring.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 05:46 AM   #69
kurgan999
"TRF" Member

Watch: ap bee
I live in country where 200$ is avg sallary would not feel comfy if people arround start askin me bout watch

Its pretty undercover and i like it cose of that !

Some close friends know what i have but thats it.

And if someone who knows, but that happend only once, askin me bout it i just say its fake :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kurgan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 06:35 AM   #70
singe89
"TRF" Member

Was wearing my 15400 when meeting with the CEO of a silicon valley start up last night. He noticed the watch and we ended up having a great conversation about how in a prior life he was part of an AD for AP, Patek, VC and others in Ukraine. He said he still loves watches but cant wear them in the tech industry because expensive suits and watches make you seem like an "outsider" in silicon valley.
Old 24 January 2019, 06:40 AM   #71
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
So, alas, on New Year's Eve, I got Hublot-ed too... but this was from a young guy who works in Argos, like a small Costco, and he's saving up to buy a Longines, so really I was just impressed that he knew of Hublot, no one else at the party noticed I was wearing a watch at all as usual.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 07:38 AM   #72
daveo5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M COSC
Never, except at the AP boutique in LV NV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
daveo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2019, 08:31 AM   #73
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I had a random guy at a bar ask me the age old "is that real"

I couldn't believe it. Was wearing a 15400.

Younger people are more in tune to AP these days in the United States, due to them being popular among musicians, Hollywood and athletes.

Nowhere near Rolex but their brand name recognition is up.

Sounds like you are hanging out at the wrong bars!
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 06:23 AM   #74
andrewjoo7
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
Just last weekend in Atlantic City. Was at a dance club with my buddies and this 20 something kid comes over and sees my AP and says it's a sick watch. Then he asks me if he could try it on? What? I told him, I would let him try it on if he let's me put him in a head lock. He took off . Didn't seem right.
LOL good one
andrewjoo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 07:57 AM   #75
Kamen
"TRF" Member

So far nobody has asked me about it; probably because nobody knows what it is!
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 08:58 AM   #76
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
I'm in the premium end of the car business and have colleagues who know the brand but all consider Rolex as their grail. The biggest issue is the clients who notice and proceed to tell me about their love for watches and proudly roll up their sleeves only to reveal a bad, sometime good, fake.

I am then forced to smile, bite my tongue and change the subject.

There are a few exceptions but I do see a lot of fakes
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2019, 09:38 AM   #77
ukbbc
"TRF" Member

I switched bracelet on my 15400 to a rubber strap to avoid scratches.

I received compliments from sales assistants in various boutiques in Singapore. In Japan, I spent time with a Breguet watch sales assistant - he let me admire the Hora Mundi while I let him scrutinise the AP.

I’ve had 2 friends express admiration of the watch during dinner, one being a WIS and led to a lovely discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ukbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2019, 02:03 AM   #78
Flying Doctor
"TRF" Member

AP's - really only ever in watch shops where of course they spot them pretty quickly and once at the airport but was someone who clearly knew a lot about ROO's as as asked him if he knew what it was and he said straight off it was an AP ROO.....

FD.
Flying Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote