The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 September 2017, 03:07 PM   #1
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP AP Rolex PAM
Real or Not ???

I'm in a client based sales industry and a couple of my co-workers are familiar with my 'hobby' / addiction. As I was sitting at the office today, one of them walks up with a client and says "Hey now that's a watch you should check out!" pointing to time piece on the other's wrist. The wearer proceeds to proudly stick his wrist in my face and says "How much would you pay for this ??"

At this point I notice the following,:

- 44 novelty gold case with ceramic bezel and ceramic flat pushers
- WHITE tapisserie dial similar to the 44 steel BUT with gold finished baton markers ?!?!?
- No sapphire see through back
- H series case number on the rear at the 6 o'clock position of the case
- 10/100 engraved on the rear at the 12 o'clock position
- I engaged the chrono a couple of times and it just did not feel right

I have had numerous 44 novelty pieces and currently own the 44Ti (which I do not wear to the office) and while looking familiar there were just too many things about this piece that were VERY unfamiliar to me.

Did I miss something ? Could this be a real AP ? Possibly some sort of limited edition piece that I have never heard of ? I did a quick image search on line but found nothing that looks similar to what I saw this afternoon.

I have a very strong aversion to fake goods but would never call anyone out in a work setting, especially when I am not 10000% sure. I simply said 'Great watch, hope you are enjoying it' and left it at that.

However, curiosity has gotten the better of me and I am wondering if anyone in the community knows of a legitimate model that would match the above description?

Any thoughts on how this can be a real AP ? would be appreciated !
yyzpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 04:34 PM   #2
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Fake for me, no see through back for one... other things you say are normal or rare but nothing special, but can't think of a single RG case and ceramic bezel in 100 ex with no clear case back, there are some that fit the bill, but have clear case backs, but I am not a pro...
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 10:53 PM   #3
WatchingAustin
"TRF" Member

Watch: iwatch
too many words, not enough pictures.
WatchingAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 September 2017, 11:15 PM   #4
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Fake and don't need to see any pics.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 12:44 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HL65 View Post
Please spare us
Old 17 September 2017, 12:56 AM   #6
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ken...my thoughts exactly...I would have loved to snap a quick pic but the
the situation did not allow it. Plus, calling out a guy I don't know in my place of business just made no sense.

I pride myself on knowing the brand but am not completely OCD and just wanted confirmation that I did not miss some new permutation or model.

Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 17 September 2017, 02:41 AM   #7
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
No displayback is a big red flag. Should have asked what model it was (supposed to be) if you couldn't take a pic.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 03:11 AM   #8
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
No displayback is a big red flag. Should have asked what model it was (supposed to be) if you couldn't take a pic.
This guy had no clue about the model, just said it was a 'limited edition'. Not a WIS by any stretch. Just a guy showing off, what is clearly a fake piece. Also bragged about paying $23k for it.....another bad lie.

Clearly he does not spend as much time on this form as I do.....not sure what that says about me though

I'm moving on....just wanted to run this by you guys......
Old 17 September 2017, 04:02 AM   #9
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyzpam View Post
This guy had no clue about the model, just said it was a 'limited edition'. Not a WIS by any stretch. Just a guy showing off, what is clearly a fake piece. Also bragged about paying $23k for it.....another bad lie.

Clearly he does not spend as much time on this form as I do.....not sure what that says about me though

Same thing happened with me a few weeks ago. Guy was wearing fake RG Schumi. I gave him an out and asked him if it was a replica to which he repsonded no he had it appraised. I happened to be wearing my RG Jumbo and said I love AP. I am guessing he never expected to run into an AP guy that day. Anyway I let it pass but his credibility went down the drain w me. The funny thing is he was trying to pitch me for business. Not now or in this lifetime.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 04:27 AM   #10
Islatate
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5980/1R-001
Quote:
Same thing happened with me a few weeks ago. Guy was wearing fake RG Schumi. I gave him an out and asked him if it was a replica to which he repsonded no he had it appraised. I happened to be wearing my RG Jumbo and said I love AP. I am guessing he never expected to run into an AP guy that day. Anyway I let it pass but his credibility went down the drain w me. The funny thing is he was trying to pitch me for business. Not now or in this lifetime.
And I thought it couldn't possibly get worse than being asked "is that a Hublot" while sporting the Trulli on my wrist. It happened on 3 occasions this past summer.
AP 25940ok
Rolex 116520
Islatate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 05:28 AM   #11
tcheeco
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islatate View Post
And I thought it couldn't possibly get worse than being asked "is that a Hublot" while sporting the Trulli on my wrist. It happened on 3 occasions this past summer.
Lol, this happened to me in a bar last Friday while I had my brother's RG 15400.
The bartender said, very nice Hublot, sir. I said thank you but it's not... oh! Lol
tcheeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 05:36 AM   #12
imperio
"TRF" Member

Watch: this space
Quote:
I'm in a client based sales industry and a couple of my co-workers are familiar with my 'hobby' / addiction. As I was sitting at the office today, one of them walks up with a client and says "Hey now that's a watch you should check out!" pointing to time piece on the other's wrist. The wearer proceeds to proudly stick his wrist in my face and says "How much would you pay for this ??"

At this point I notice the following,:

- 44 novelty gold case with ceramic bezel and ceramic flat pushers

- WHITE tapisserie dial similar to the 44 steel BUT with gold finished baton markers ?!?!?

- No sapphire see through back

- H series case number on the rear at the 6 o'clock position of the case

- 10/100 engraved on the rear at the 12 o'clock position

- I engaged the chrono a couple of times and it just did not feel right

I have had numerous 44 novelty pieces and currently own the 44Ti (which I do not wear to the office) and while looking familiar there were just too many things about this piece that were VERY unfamiliar to me.

Did I miss something ? Could this be a real AP ? Possibly some sort of limited edition piece that I have never heard of ? I did a quick image search on line but found nothing that looks similar to what I saw this afternoon.

I have a very strong aversion to fake goods but would never call anyone out in a work setting, especially when I am not 10000% sure. I simply said 'Great watch, hope you are enjoying it' and left it at that.

However, curiosity has gotten the better of me and I am wondering if anyone in the community knows of a legitimate model that would match the above description?

Any thoughts on how this can be a real AP ? would be appreciated !

I assume this guy took his watch off for you to examine? He actually handed the watch to you so you could play around with the chrono, examine case back etc and asked you how much you would pay for it? What a weirdo.... I would never take my watch off and hand it to a stranger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 September 2017, 07:21 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post
I assume this guy took his watch off for you to examine? He actually handed the watch to you so you could play around with the chrono, examine case back etc and asked you how much you would pay for it? What a weirdo.... I would never take my watch off and hand it to a stranger

You mean you wouldn't hand over a real watch, right? You know, one you knew the model name of?
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 07:56 AM   #14
APRolexguy
"TRF" Member

maybe he was scammed? I mean if he handed it to you he must have been very confident it was a real AP. Before this forum, I would have been scammed by a lot of terrible fakes(now I know they are) that are out there.
APRolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 03:40 PM   #15
yyzpam
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperio View Post

The piece set off alarm bells so I asked to see it. He took it off. The minute I saw the solid case back and the white dial with gold batons on a gold 44 case with ceramic bezel I knew something was off. The story actually gets a little better since I was at my desk I pulled up the AP site and said to him "I haven't seen this model before, look it's not in the site". I thought I was really giving him an out. His response was that the dial must have been changed as it's a special edition.

As for being scammed....I don't think this is the case as he dropped the name of a local dealer, a guy that I know but don't do business with as he's a bit "loose" with his business practices. But this guy would not sell a fake. He has a bricks and mortar business which he simply can't afford to loose. Does he swap dials on Rolex pieces for aftermarket....yes....does he have non authorized watchmakers work on AP and Rolex pieces....absolutely....did he knowingly sell a poorly working watch....yup....but I don't think he would sell an outright fake. So I believe the guy in front of me knew the watch was fake and was just blowing smoke.
Old 17 September 2017, 04:53 PM   #16
Star Ferry
Banned

Since he shoved it in your face and asked what you'd pay, probably fake. The value of a real AP is pretty self explanatory
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 09:46 PM   #17
CJFromMA
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC 26331ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Since he shoved it in your face and asked what you'd pay, probably fake. The value of a real AP is pretty self explanatory
+1 on this observation. I suspect he knew it was a fake and decided to test someone with knowledge to see how good a fake it actually was.
CJFromMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 September 2017, 10:47 PM   #18
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Surely the weight would be the big tell, as there's a distinctly noticeable difference between a gold watch (particularly one with solid case back), than a gold plated steel one.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 02:37 PM   #19
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
True

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2017, 10:21 PM   #20
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:

hahahaha, you pay 23k but don't know what model it is? Yeah right. Anyways my first thought before the pros came in is it must be fake, opinion confirmed
Old 18 September 2017, 10:25 PM   #21
lapince
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islatate View Post
Was only asked once if my 5712 was a Royal Oak, so didn't take it badly and said no PP, but no one has asked, yet, if my ce diver was a Youblow...