The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 23 September 2017, 06:08 AM   #1
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

The Appeal of Royal Oak Offshore 42mm's

What is going on with the ROO's, in terms of the 42mm's? This is not a flame thread or me bashing on 42's, but in general it seems as if the 42mm is losing its appeal and prices are being driven downwards. Personally, I am still very passionate about certain models, but a lot of the 42mm off shores look almost outdated to me. Does anyone feel this way as well or am I alone here?

Side note: My (very orange) 44 Novelty is on the way and I've been living in this subsection of the forum
LAFLARE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:03 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

I like the 42's and actually prefer the size slightly to the 44's. That said, the ceramic bezels and the better chronograph pusher shape on the 44's make them more appealing to me. For a 42mm, i would get a diver.

The 42mm ROO chronographs are still popular but they are boxed in pretty tightly between the divers and 44mm's.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:12 AM   #3
mspeed76
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, RM
when AP first introduced the 44mm offshores they created an arbitrary gap between the two case sizes by bumping up the price and including ceramic bezels on regular production pieces.

And they haven't released anything appealing (IMO) or with a premium bezel in 42mm since the RB2 and Jarno Trulli 7-10 years ago.

New collectors probably never even heard about those models and associate 42mm with the lower end of the offshore range.
mspeed76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:41 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
IMHO I have the best ROO 42, the ceramic diver, love the TI 44, but having thought it through I don't think I will get it, I think the 42 size is better for me.
And yes I must say that apart the ce diver, I don't love any other 42 really, ok love the Trulli and RB2, but between them and the ce diver, would still choose the diver I think
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 08:01 AM   #5
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
The 42 case size has turned more into Diver's category for AP.

Plus it doesn't really seem like they have much variety with the chronos on the 42 line. Most novelties are all in the 44 range.

This seems more like AP's decision vs. the desire of the market. If you offer a similar watch at a larger size, the market seems to forget about the "smaller" version and purchase the larger model.
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 09:59 AM   #6
jem7v
Banned

I think if they brought back the black themes I'd buy a 42mm. Or the CE diver. The 42mm size is definitely better for my wrist. But I tolerate the 44mm because it's far better looking. But if tomorrow AP brought back the black themes, I'd buy one. I want an all steel ROO on that alligator horseback strap.
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 10:11 AM   #7
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
The problem is the design. Chronos ROO 42mm as a category are relatively plainer looking and a neither here nor there positioning in the market. For those wanting an entry level ROO a diver is a better proposition. For those willing to oay more will go for the 44mm that have the advantage of ceramic bezel and an even sportier look. If well designed like the RBs and Ginza it should improve demand.
Old 23 September 2017, 12:42 PM   #8
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

I'd like to point my finger at the hour markers as one of the reasons that it looks outdated. Something about the shape of those numbers...

That is a very good point that was brought up about the divers. I initially never payed much attention to them but they do present themselves much more aesthetically pleasing than the other models.
Old 23 September 2017, 12:49 PM   #9
LAFLARE
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have any opinions of how well either the RG chronos or 44's hold their value?
Old 23 September 2017, 01:16 PM   #10
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I feel the 44 fits better than the 42. I frankly wish there were all a bit smaller but I digress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 23 September 2017, 02:05 PM   #11
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
I like the 42s a lot and like the current black and red, blue and orange (and the Pt, of course!!!!) - but not enough to actually buy any of them. That having been said, the more I wear my ROO Panda, the more impressed by it I am. The only downside is that more wear does mean that the bezel looks less than perfect now.
HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 05:09 PM   #12
DeeTee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee View Post
The problem is the design. Chronos ROO 42mm as a category are relatively plainer looking and a neither here nor there positioning in the market. For those wanting an entry level ROO a diver is a better proposition. For those willing to oay more will go for the 44mm that have the advantage of ceramic bezel and an even sportier look. If well designed like the RBs and Ginza it should improve demand.
Agreed 100%
DeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:19 PM   #13
bluebeamer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
I think if they brought back the black themes I'd buy a 42mm. Or the CE diver. The 42mm size is definitely better for my wrist. But I tolerate the 44mm because it's far better looking. But if tomorrow AP brought back the black themes, I'd buy one. I want an all steel ROO on that alligator horseback strap.
the 2014 novelty is essentially black themes with red highlights. why don't you consider it?

https://www.audemarspiguet.com/en/wa....OO.A101CR.01/
bluebeamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:36 PM   #14
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeamer View Post
the 2014 novelty is essentially black themes with red highlights. why don't you consider it?

for me its too much red. I prefer the black/white color palette. I picked a black diver over the 42mm chronograph because of that. Really the only two being considered at the time were the elephant and the black diver.

I still think the elephant is the best 42mm ROO chronograph but I'm not really sure why i never ended up with one. It always seemed to be the second choice in almost every head to head i have done.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2017, 07:42 PM   #15
Audguy
"TRF" Member

the 42 panda and safari are the best of the 42's i think the watches are very different the 42 is more of a daily watch
Audguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 12:26 AM   #16
yoast
"TRF" Member

I think the entire 42mm line is outdated and the 44s are too big. Best thing would be to morph the 44s into 42 and phase out the 44mm line imo.
Many people I talk to that owned a 44 have all sold them when the honeymoon is over, because of the size.
Old 24 September 2017, 01:47 AM   #17
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeamer View Post

the red highlights ruin it. takes away the versatility
Old 24 September 2017, 01:50 AM   #18
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
I think the entire 42mm line is outdated and the 44s are too big. Best thing would be to morph the 44s into 42 and phase out the 44mm line imo.
Many people I talk to that owned a 44 have all sold them when the honeymoon is over, because of the size.
I agree with this. I'd prefer a 42mm.
Old 24 September 2017, 02:01 AM   #19
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
And many haven’t because we have bigger wrists and it wears perfectly.

And also want a bigger fun watch to wear on weekends. I love all sizes myself from 39-44 and each has it’s place for me in my collection.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 02:15 AM   #20
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the red highlights ruin it. takes away the versatility
I quite like it...though, to be fair, not enough to buy it!
Old 24 September 2017, 02:16 AM   #21
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFLARE View Post
I'd like to point my finger at the hour markers as one of the reasons that it looks outdated. Something about the shape of those numbers...

That is a very good point that was brought up about the divers. I initially never payed much attention to them but they do present themselves much more aesthetically pleasing than the other models.

I had the rose gold rubber clad but as soon as I got my platinum 44 I felt the numbers marking the hours looked dated so I felt it was time to sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 02:16 AM   #22
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I agree with this. I'd prefer a 42mm.
Let me me know if you feel the need to dump your RG
Old 24 September 2017, 02:24 AM   #23
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audguy View Post
the 42 panda and safari are the best of the 42's i think the watches are very different the 42 is more of a daily watch

Agreed. I like the Panda a lot...also the CE Diver.

Not in my collection, but 42s I'd seriously consider owning include a number of the LEs (gentlemen driver, Rubens barrichello stand out, but aren't alone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 24 September 2017, 04:04 AM   #24
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I really liked the 42s but when the 44s came out they were a class ahead. I also felt the 42s wore smaller as the chrono dials were small, so altho the 44 is bigger, but not exponentially by much if you can wear a 42, I feel the 44 is the better balanced watch for flat 6.5 inch wrists and above.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:24 AM   #25
Betta01
"TRF" Member

I like the 42 for the smaller size plus I find the pusher design of the 44 too bulky..

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Betta01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 04:43 AM   #26
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audguy View Post

I agree. The 42 panda is a great daily watch. 44 is too big for me as a daily.

Old 24 September 2017, 10:57 PM   #27
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
I do own the ceramic diver but the steel diver is also a great piece. I would almost like to claim that the steel diver is one of the best "entry level" pieces of any swiss brand.

Old 24 September 2017, 11:24 PM   #28
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta01 View Post
I like the 42 for the smaller size plus I find the pusher design of the 44 too bulky..

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk
Must admit I feel the opposite. I think the pusher design of the 44 is superb both visually and functionally. In contrast the simple 'button' pushers of the 42s are my main dislike of that model. I am considering a 42 but for me its the pushers that are the biggest negative to the design.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 September 2017, 11:31 PM   #29
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Must admit I feel the opposite. I think the pusher design of the 44 is superb both visually and functionally. In contrast the simple 'button' pushers of the 42s are my main dislike of that model. I am considering a 42 but for me its the pushers that are the biggest negative to the design.
They could easily solve this but making pushers designed the way they are on the diver. I know on the diver those aren't pushers, but a pusher could easily be designed the same way.

AP actually has all the tools necessary to really push themselves to a whole new level. For whatever reason they just don't have the brain. They focus constantly on the 44mm, and the super high end, and ignore everything else it looks like.

Or, they just don't care. Majority of the clients just buy the watch to flaunt. They don't care necessarily what it looks like.
Old 25 September 2017, 12:46 AM   #30
smeowly
"TRF" Member

These 2 and the steel n rose gold rubberclads are my favorite 42s.

smeowly is offline   Reply With Quote