The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 13 April 2024, 07:27 AM   #61
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfang56 View Post
Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50m too

Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 07:30 AM   #62
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:

50m too

And deeper still...

Pfang56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 10:02 AM   #63
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_chissle View Post
Are you saying I can swim with my 20m rated RO perpetual?
Hah 20m Im assuming for AP is not enough. I meant that AP distinguished those 3 levels so there must be some tangible difference. 50m AP said ok for surface swimming which I've done but I also get my watches I get wet pressure tested. I guess my point is I wish patek differentiated some, there's no way a celestial has the same WR as a 5711
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 10:50 AM   #64
Gandor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
Hah 20m Im assuming for AP is not enough. I meant that AP distinguished those 3 levels so there must be some tangible difference. 50m AP said ok for surface swimming which I've done but I also get my watches I get wet pressure tested. I guess my point is I wish patek differentiated some, there's no way a celestial has the same WR as a 5711
Yeah the tangible difference is 10m-30m in depths.
Old 13 April 2024, 05:15 PM   #65
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well 30m of true diving I think is > 120m of static pressure.
Your thinking is not correct...

TLDR Static pressure is all that matters when you are diving or swimming. Different story if you fall off a speed boat or jet ski.

Static pressure is rho x g x h, dynamic pressure is rho /2 x v^2 and I didn't get my PhD in physics to remember that... LOL

For dynamic pressure equivalent to the static pressure at h = 30m depth you'd need to move your hands at nearly 25m/s or 90 km/h in the water. Try to do that as a human being in water... Different story if you fall off a speed boat or jet ski but then you'll have other problems. But I'd not use a 30m rated Patek on a jet ski. For dynamic pressure equivalent to the static pressure at h = 120m depth the required speed increases to around 50m/s or 180 km/h. Of course you need to add static and dynamic pressure to arrive at the total pressure you'll need to compare with the rating of your watch.

I have been using my 5711 swimming, free diving (won't get lower than 10m depth), and paddling all the time and I have been doing the same with my 60m rated IWC Mark XV for 20+ years no problem.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 05:32 PM   #66
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes

Brave, thanks for the confirmation.
l_chissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 05:35 PM   #67
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Your thinking is not correct...

TLDR Static pressure is all that matters when you are diving or swimming. Different story if you fall off a speed boat or jet ski.

Static pressure is rho x g x h, dynamic pressure is rho /2 x v^2 and I didn't get my PhD in physics to remember that... LOL

For dynamic pressure equivalent to the static pressure at h = 30m depth you'd need to move your hands at nearly 25m/s or 90 km/h in the water. Try to do that as a human being in water... Different story if you fall off a speed boat or jet ski but then you'll have other problems. But I'd not use a 30m rated Patek on a jet ski. For dynamic pressure equivalent to the static pressure at h = 120m depth the required speed increases to around 50m/s or 180 km/h. Of course you need to add static and dynamic pressure to arrive at the total pressure you'll need to compare with the rating of your watch.

I have been using my 5711 swimming, free diving (won't get lower than 10m depth), and paddling all the time and I have been doing the same with my 60m rated IWC Mark XV for 20+ years no problem.
Interesting, thanks for that additional insight. I wonder how fast the human arm swings when doing front stroke.

I guess this also proves that 20m rated watches have significant buffer to "splash proof"?
Old 13 April 2024, 05:50 PM   #68
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Interesting, thanks for that additional insight. I wonder how fast the human arm swings when doing front stroke.

I guess this also proves that 20m rated watches have significant buffer to "splash proof"?
You can swim at 1-2m/s in water. Your hands should move faster when they hit the water. Not quite sure how fast exactly but I guess sth close to 5m/s max and certainly a lot slower than 25m/s.

Just to add, jumping into the water / cliff diving is a problem just like falling off a jet ski. If you jump from 5m you'll enter the water at 10m/s. In theory this leaves quite some safety margin to the 25m/s equivalent of a 30m depth rating but I'd avoid any jumping unless a watch is rated at 100+m.
Old 13 April 2024, 08:02 PM   #69
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can swim at 1-2m/s in water. Your hands should move faster when they hit the water. Not quite sure how fast exactly but I guess sth close to 5m/s max and certainly a lot slower than 25m/s.

Just to add, jumping into the water / cliff diving is a problem just like falling off a jet ski. If you jump from 5m you'll enter the water at 10m/s. In theory this leaves quite some safety margin to the 25m/s equivalent of a 30m depth rating but I'd avoid any jumping unless a watch is rated at 100+m.
So is it your conclusion that all Patek watches claiming 30m water resistance can be sadly used while casual swimming?

I do wonder if Patek would cover repairs in all cases where water ingress had occurred in a swimming pool or a swim in the sea. I am also slightly suspicious that depths over 30m claims for their watches have been reduced to 30m.
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 08:45 PM   #70
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partekular View Post
So is it your conclusion that all Patek watches claiming 30m water resistance can be sadly used while casual swimming?

I do wonder if Patek would cover repairs in all cases where water ingress had occurred in a swimming pool or a swim in the sea. I am also slightly suspicious that depths over 30m claims for their watches have been reduced to 30m.
According to the laws of physics it should be safe to use a 30m water rated watch for casual swimming. That said, I will not use my 30m rated 3998 in the water. Who knows what its actual rating is 8 years after the last service. I am not getting my watches pressure tested every year and then there is the strap. But I am swimming, snorkeling, and paddling with a 60m rated IWC and a 5711. IWC say a 60m rated IWC is good for water sports and snorkeling.

https://www.iwc.com/de/en/specials/water-resistant.html

No idea how easy it would be to have Patek (or any watch maker) cover the repairs in case of actual water damage and hopefully I will never find out.
Old 13 April 2024, 09:13 PM   #71
Moondoggy
"TRF" Member

Watch: and wait
Water resistant/proof of watches has been complete garbage for years, instruction manuals will say 5atm yeah you be good for light swimming and heavy rain. The 50 metres has zero relevance.

Never argue with a fool, as eventually it will be difficult to tell the difference.
Moondoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2024, 11:07 PM   #72
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
My AD has confirmed, I am able to swim in my 5370P. I won't but Patek will now stand behind any watch that is within the service period and is certified to 30m water resistance. My AD has also confirmed that the 5 year warranty despite what it says in the press release has been back dated to 1st May 2023. New documents will apparently be issued to reflect this.
My AD confirmed this morning I could swim to 30m with my 5320 perpetual calendar and 5230 world time....crystal blue waters here i come!!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 12:26 AM   #73
turfmanjon
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Rubber B stock about to go to the moon!

turfmanjon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 12:34 AM   #74
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
My AD confirmed this morning I could swim to 30m with my 5320 perpetual calendar and 5230 world time....crystal blue waters here i come!!
Brave man to try it! My 5320 is banned from water along with its sibling the 5172. The 5811 has a screw down crown and a bracelet so I’d risk that if I could find a holiday location and beach where it was safe to wear one. Other PP’s with leather straps are obviously out of the question.
Old 14 April 2024, 12:36 AM   #75
Tan
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5320G
Just to let folks know, a friend was at the Patek salon today and asked if the 30M water resistance standpoint of diving, showering, bathing etc. applies to older models too and they said this year and moving forward only. That does make it more confusing but yeah hope this helps!
Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 12:57 AM   #76
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Hysterical. I used to require a 12, now I'm only a five and working my way to a 1.
If its' under 8 it needs to something truly special.
Old 14 April 2024, 01:00 AM   #77
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:

50m too

None of my APs ever failed a pressure test or in the field. My 50m 15400 passed 10 bars perfectly last time I had it checked.
Old 14 April 2024, 05:20 AM   #78
l_chissle
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Time to scuba with my skeleton. 30m depth, slow-ish arm movements, should be fine right? ;)
Old 14 April 2024, 08:57 PM   #79
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
f 30m wr can't even play with kids in a pool splashing throwing them in the air ect ect. PP says for easy type swimming only. f glad I have me 1999 5066 stood up to above and more in the water no not scuba lol
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2024, 11:16 PM   #80
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
f 30m wr can't even play with kids in a pool splashing throwing them in the air ect ect. PP says for easy type swimming only. f glad I have me 1999 5066 stood up to above and more in the water no not scuba lol
Haven't you heard? No Patek has a higher rating than 30m than before. Im assuming next time you have it serviced they won't test for 120m.
Old 14 April 2024, 11:16 PM   #81
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
That is such BS that is unbelievable your AD would say something irresponsible like that.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 12:46 AM   #82
Daytonaman799
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, Patek
This is a very odd policy choice. I have worn both my 5712 and 5726 into the water of all kinds…ocean, pool,etc. I did have a problem with an annual calendar (5146 1/g) that was on a bracelet that did get water into it and it was rated 30m. I a;so used to own several Royal Oaks and did the same , including a perp cal. Basically either PP has been lying about its water resistance on its pieces or this new policy is a way so that they don’t really have to stand behind it. Will they say if water gets into your 5167 or 5726 that at 30m it’s not really meant for the water? Meanwhile, Rolex is tasted to 20% ABOVE its stated level of water resistance.
Daytonaman799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 01:48 AM   #83
tedo
"TRF" Member

Sad that they are downgrading, expect more from PP
Old 15 April 2024, 11:09 AM   #84
Radbloke
"TRF" Member

So, the aquanaut and nautilus essentially now have the same water resistance as a navitimer. Would you swim with a navitimer?
Radbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2024, 06:43 PM   #85
geoach
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610lv y96xxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
Haven't you heard? No Patek has a higher rating than 30m than before. Im assuming next time you have it serviced they won't test for 120m.
don't think that they will my paper work states 120m.......if they don't they're liable
geoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:22 AM   #86
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoach View Post
don't think that they will my paper work states 120m.......if they don't they're liable

You might be surprised to find the disclaimers around water damage. Regardless of brand, watchmakers have pretty regularly refused to repair water damage for free.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 03:26 AM   #87
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

What a PR disaster. I don't understand this rationale at all. Basically sounds like they are admitting their clientele never goes beyond 30m despite the rating so they will just make everything 30m and that way they don't have to deal with warranty issues? They are basically not standing by their product in the most asinine and shortsighted way as to why these rating even exist.
Old 16 April 2024, 03:35 AM   #88
Partekular
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
You might be surprised to find the disclaimers around water damage. Regardless of brand, watchmakers have pretty regularly refused to repair water damage for free.
"Sorry Sir, "water resistant" means you must resist taking the watch into water. "water proof" means exactly that, unless you take it too deep."

"Too deep? How deep is that?""

Yes Sir, so "too deep" means that that it will let in water. If water gets in you obviously went too deep."
Old 16 April 2024, 07:39 PM   #89
bob101
"TRF" Member

If you want to go swimming / diving, Rolex with its screw down crown is the way to go. I would take what AP and PP say regarding their “sports” pieces with a big pinch of sea salt :)
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2024, 07:47 PM   #90
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:

There are some fairy stories on TRF but this one should win a prize.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote