The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 15 November 2023, 09:55 AM   #61
RJordan
"TRF" Member

Maybe it's time for Thierry to step aside with the designs. He only has one universal, true hit, 5970.
RJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:11 PM   #62
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastie View Post
IMO a huge miss from Patek. The funny thing is that I do agree that they need to expand their ladies collection. But a blinged out minute repeater? A battery powered blinged out nautilus?? Terrible.

Rolex does ladies watches really well - Datejust, OPs, Yachtmasters, Daytonas. You can tell they are ladies WATCHES. Emphasis on the watch, not the wearer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah but rolex also has a completely different clientele for ladies watches. you gotta remember women aren't into watches like guys and they'd rather blow money on bags or jewelry, not "basic" watches for 50k+, because they don't care or understand what patek or AP is lol. are women even going for the lady nautilus line? the rich ones are really just seen with daytonas, if that

with rolex, there's a huge market for two tone or steel watches that cost < 15k because every girl can go and get one after graduating college and have a nice classic statement piece + say they got a rolex
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 12:36 PM   #63
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
yeah but rolex also has a completely different clientele for ladies watches. you gotta remember women aren't into watches like guys and they'd rather blow money on bags or jewelry, not "basic" watches for 50k+, because they don't care or understand what patek or AP is lol. are women even going for the lady nautilus line? the rich ones are really just seen with daytonas, if that

with rolex, there's a huge market for two tone or steel watches that cost &lt; 15k because every girl can go and get one after graduating college and have a nice classic statement piece + say they got a rolex

Let’s be real how many of these gem set offerings are being made per year maybe 10-20 pieces each even less for MR aquanauts. I’m guessing market is Middle East and Asia. They definitely will sell all of them plus some athletes and rappers will also wear it.

Taking that into account all gem set watches gone for the next couple years.

I just saw the Uk rapper Dave wearing the blue gem stone AP in the sprinter video. Frankly looked great and it works. Just not for normal people

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 01:54 PM   #64
Duey
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Too Many To List
My wife loves Patek but not these. She says they're just to over the top
Duey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 09:42 PM   #65
DigitalNsane
"TRF" Member

Nothing news today ;)
DigitalNsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 09:48 PM   #66
sebthedon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNsane View Post
Nothing news today ;)

Very weird..My AD told me, he wouldn’t take day off today as they expected news Maybe tomorrow with the start of Dubai Watch Week

sebthedon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 10:57 PM   #67
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Let’s be real how many of these gem set offerings are being made per year maybe 10-20 pieces each even less for MR aquanauts. I’m guessing market is Middle East and Asia. They definitely will sell all of them plus some athletes and rappers will also wear it.

I just saw the Uk rapper Dave wearing the blue gem stone AP in the sprinter video. Frankly looked great and it works. Just not for normal people

well that's what i was trying to say. patek is just going for these ultra blingy watches because there's no market worth investing in when it comes to ladies watches as opposed to rolex which actually has one. probably just makes more sense for them to release these gem sets for the athletes/celebs instead

Dave has a crazy collection btw
huncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2023, 11:15 PM   #68
Russell996
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Now Patek has the controlling interest in Salanitro I imagine it's gem setting capacity is much higher than you think.

Quote:
well that's what i was trying to say. patek is just going for these ultra blingy watches because there's no market worth investing in when it comes to ladies watches as opposed to rolex which actually has one. probably just makes more sense for them to release these gem sets for the athletes/celebs instead
Patek has a strong ladies market and is currently holding ladies only events around the world.
Russell996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 12:57 AM   #69
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Does this constitute all the new releases that will drop from Patek this year..?
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 02:03 AM   #70
canez16
"TRF" Member

All I can say is, absolutely disgraceful
canez16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 04:03 AM   #71
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Don't forget courtside at lakers games. Seems like there are two markets, the true watch collector or enthusiast and the celebrity.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 05:43 AM   #72
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I don’t really understand the latest releases actually. Patek have acquired Salanitro who are supposedly one of the best gem setters in the industry but if that’s is Patek’s way of tapping into their expertise, then it’s a disappointment. The Aquanaut Luce Rainbow chronograph last year was quite nice, but these just appear obnoxious and OTT. I feel that some of these manufacturers are just releasing things for the sake of it. It’s fine if they don’t release a new variant every year. It’s fine! Rather than releasing something which really sullies the brand. Gem set pieces can be really classy and beautiful - the rainbow Daytona and the Aquanaut Luce Chronograph for example. These releases unfortunately aren’t.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2023, 01:04 PM   #73
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Dave has a crazy collection btw

Didn’t know that. Will check out Dave’s collection now thanks

Old 16 November 2023, 01:12 PM   #74
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell996 View Post
Now Patek has the controlling interest in Salanitro I imagine it's gem setting capacity is much higher than you think.

Patek has a strong ladies market and is currently holding ladies only events around the world.

Ok but really more than 20 MR aquanauts or fully iced out nautilus per year covered in gem stones ? Doubt it but maybe you are right.

But do these VIP type clients really buy ladies pieces or do they rather buy rare handcrafts (non lady pieces) and other pieces that mainly for men. I think there is a trend for women to wear oversized men’s watches. I don’t believe they all wear twenty four watches and a handful of nautilus / aquanauts for women but could be wrong.

Old 16 November 2023, 01:13 PM   #75
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Don't forget courtside at lakers games. Seems like there are two markets, the true watch collector or enthusiast and the celebrity.

lol next time I’m going to be more specific

Old 16 November 2023, 11:35 PM   #76
DonLee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canez16 View Post
All I can say is, absolutely disgraceful
agreed.
DonLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 04:46 AM   #77
helloworldies
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Vacheron
so tacky it hurts!
helloworldies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 06:05 AM   #78
soxfan39
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5168G
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloworldies View Post
so tacky it hurts!
Yeah these def surprised me. Wasn't expecting so much bling
soxfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 07:54 AM   #79
Seo
"TRF" Member

wow that was really not what I expected, I don't a little bit of gems but this is just at another level...

interestingly Chopard just did the same on their release. This might be a trend.
Seo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2023, 10:58 AM   #80
bob101
"TRF" Member

Disappointing but not surprising unfortunately. Patek needs to go back to traditions and look at an update version of some of its classics pieces using new movement. So many nice calatrava from 40s and 50s could take inspiration from. I’m hoping we get a new sector calatrava at some point or something different in Wenger style case bit like the 5212a, like a rebooted 3433 or 2551. How about a special enamel calatrava? Like the 3428 or 2526
These are the classics they should look at inspiration from.
They could also release a new chronograph to replace 5170. What about a 1463 inspired piece with breguet numerals and blue seconds hand?
So many pieces could draw inspiration from but seems going for a quick and easy buck from those who like the bling such as celebs at moment perhaps.. will they surprise us next year?
bob101 is offline   Reply With Quote