The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 June 2017, 11:37 AM   #1
Louise05
"TRF" Member

Help! New to Rolex and watches really!

Hello everyone!

Hope you don't mind me coming on here but your threads always come up in my google search! I have no idea about watches but I know my fiance would LOVE a Rolex and I was hoping I could get him one for his wedding present. The problem is all I know that he wants a datejust and doesnt mind if its not a brand new one. I can't ask him many more questions because I want it to be a surprise. I have looked at ebay and have seen some nice ones (I think) that are going between $3000- $6000AUD but even though these people have loads of good feedback on ebay I still find some unhappy customers on some threads. So does anyone know where to buy a genuine datejust in that price range and is there a datejust I should be looking for or avoiding?

Sorry, I know I am clueless but trying to be a nice wifey to be!
Louise05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 11:40 AM   #2
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Go to the for sale section of this forum. I am sure you can find many in your price range. Check out the sellers. While many refer to some as trusted, remember to buy the seller as much as the watch.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
hsfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 11:43 AM   #3
slide13
"TRF" Member

I would suggest looking in the for sale forum here and try to find a good 116200 or 16200. Datejust is a classic watch and they should be easy to find used in that range.

I don't know AU dealers but HQ Milton is a solid US based seller of older models which will be less expensive. And DSW is great for the newer stuff.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 11:44 AM   #4
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I would recommend one of our trusted sellers here on the forums. Look in the for sale section or go to one of their websites (Davidsw.com or Takuyawatches.com) Good luck
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 11:57 AM   #5
dr3ws
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710BLNR 126334
You could try dealers in australia like vintagewatchco.com.au watchcollector.com.au watchtime.com.au watchgallery.com.au thewatchgallery.com.au clockmaker.com.au
dr3ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:00 PM   #6
westsideclock
"TRF" Member

Does he want a small one or bigger one. Need to make sure you get the right size. Classic Datejust is on the smaller side, while datejust 2 is larger. The Datejust 2 reference number in your price range is 116300
westsideclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Louise05
"TRF" Member

Thank you so much for the replies! I appreciate all your much needed advice! I am not sure really! He has always just said a datejust. And I am guessing that if he says a datejust he wouldnt want a plain date would he? I might have to go measure his other watches to see if he likes them on the larger size? Oh geez, clueless much?
Old 29 June 2017, 12:07 PM   #8
GermanyMatt
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126711, 126610
You're going to be a great wife!!

Good advice already given, but kudos to you for finding something truly special for your future husband.
GermanyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:18 PM   #9
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise05 View Post
Hello everyone!

Hope you don't mind me coming on here but your threads always come up in my google search! I have no idea about watches but I know my fiance would LOVE a Rolex and I was hoping I could get him one for his wedding present. The problem is all I know that he wants a datejust and doesnt mind if its not a brand new one. I can't ask him many more questions because I want it to be a surprise. I have looked at ebay and have seen some nice ones (I think) that are going between $3000- $6000AUD but even though these people have loads of good feedback on ebay I still find some unhappy customers on some threads. So does anyone know where to buy a genuine datejust in that price range and is there a datejust I should be looking for or avoiding?

You need to watch some Archie Luxury videos on YouTube to inspire you considering your locale.
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Louise05
"TRF" Member

Ok thank you! Will do. Has anyone in Australia bought off someone in America?
Old 29 June 2017, 01:04 PM   #11
Canefan1
Banned

Quote:
If I can recall,Dalip used DavidSW.
Canefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:17 PM   #12
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

If you would like to peruse this and other fora for the classifieds section, try a website called watchrecon.com. It is a search instrument that gives you results based on listings made on all the classifieds of all the major watch forums.

As stated above, the trusted sellers on TRF all have impeccable feedback and service. They also ship to Australia, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

Regarding the size, if you are unsure how to measure the watches, sneak in and take some pictures of your fiance's other watches and post them here for us to see, we can then have a very good idea of which size of Datejust to suggest. As a rule of thumb, the classic DJs are 36mm and the modern ones are 41mm. The Datejust was also recently updated by Rolex. While the previous reference was already 41mm wide, it had different proportions and wore larger than the current model. This previous one I'm talking about was called Datejust II (DJ II), whereas the current model is referred to as Datejust 41 (DJ41).

Keep coming back to this thread and posting your findings, questions and evolution. We'll help you throughout the way and make sure the gift is just what you want it to be.

Good luck and congrats on a great gesture.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 01:57 PM   #13
BillA
2024 Pledge Member

OP, 3 rules in buying a fine timepiece:

1. Stay off eBay
2. Stay off eBay
3. Stay off eBay
BillA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:04 PM   #14
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
The size of watch you are after is vitally important. Your choice is between a 36mm(mid sized) watch, and the 41mm(large).
Followed by material. Does he normally wear a Stainless Steel watch, or is he after a Two Tone(Stainless Steel with Gold). What do you think will be his preference?
Then it will come down to preferred dial colour.

Between Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne there is plenty of choice if you want to buy in OZ. Look at the websites of the locals and the watches they have listed for sale.
I have personally done business with Vintage Watch Co on a number of occasions.
As previously mentioned there are also the vendors in the US to consider.

With more feedback we can help you further.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:05 PM   #15
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillA View Post
OP, 3 rules in buying a fine timepiece:

1. Stay off eBay
2. Stay off eBay
3. Stay off eBay
Agreed
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 03:17 PM   #16
Louise05
"TRF" Member

Ok so NO ebay!! Got it!! I think I will measure his other watches tonight! Definitely stainless steel and no gold! I think I will get either a silver or black dial! I have had a look at the for sale posts on here but there are so many of them! Just learning my way around the site! :)
Old 29 June 2017, 03:44 PM   #17
samsam
"TRF" Member

Help! New to Rolex and watches really!

Yes. Stay out of eBay.
Does he want two tone (gold and steel) or steel? Does he want a smooth or fluted bezel? 36mm or 41mm ? Whats his wrist size? What's his lifestyle? These are things you should think about.
I will try to help here:
The most classic Rolex in my opinion is a two tone fluted bezel datejust (36mm) on a jubilee bracelet. That would be your safer bet. Try to find one with a reference number that starts with 11**** as it has the updated bracelet deployant clasp.
If he's a mostly a casual guy, I'd get a Datejust II with a smooth bezel (comes with a oyster bracelet). Guys with bigger physique usually prefers bigger watches.

If unsure, get him a steel datejust or datejust II with a fluted bezel and oyster bracelet and stick (batons) dial as it illuminates in the dark.
Does he have a favorite color? If not, I'd go blue stick dial.
I realize he might be different than me, but this would be my advice.

For your reference, I have a 7-inches diameter wrist and here are some watches I have/had:

Datejust II with smooth bezel oyster bracelet

Datejust II with fluted bezel oyster bracelet

Datejust in steel with smooth bezel jubilee bracelet

Datejust two tone with fluted bezel on jubilee bracelet

There are many variations of each model shown above.
Don't get overwhelmed. Decide on each thing then move to the next step.
1-Model (Datejust or II)
2-Bezel (smooth or fluted)
3-Bracelet (oyster or jubilee)
4-Dial color ( color, stick or Roman or diamond set).

You'll be fine and he will be happy as long as he know you spent time and effort choosing his wedding gift. I wish you both all the best.
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 03:56 PM   #18
James444
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex n Tudor
https://www.rolex.com/watches/datejust.html
James444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:03 PM   #19
Ballaratboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Hello everyone!

Louise, I live in Australia and bought from a dealer in Los Angeles fairly recently. No issues with either the watch or the dealer but because the Aussie dollar has pretty much collapsed against the Greenback, it would have been just as cheap to buy one locally. Having said that, there isn't much to choose from locally, hence my purchase from the U.S. If you buy from the U.S. you will pay 10% GST on import but there is no sales tax on used Swiss watches. Regards, Steve.
Ballaratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:21 PM   #20
Louise05
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys all so much for the help! I dont know how to reply to you all individually though. I think I might go for the datejust II with a fluted bezel (had to google what that was :/ haha). Like you Ballaratboy I am finding it hard to find many in Australia! Who did you buy off in the US?

Also, NO EBAY!! Got it!!
Old 29 June 2017, 04:27 PM   #21
SpyShops718
Banned

Watch: Rolex YM2 Gold '08
The Yacht-master platinum 40mm with grey dial can be purchased for around $5,000 and the mid-size is $4000. This will make a great his and her combo, me and my wife have this set. The nice thing about these are that they can be worn with pretty much anything.
SpyShops718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:29 PM   #22
mosfetaus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200 ; 16613
Quote:
I've bought heaps from all over the world, via forums like these, online dealers, and eBay. I'm in Perth. For someone like yourself, head straight to DavidSW! I've bought plenty from him, he's super reliable, fairly priced, fast (5 days from Orlando to Perth every time!), and always has a fantastic selection of Datejusts.
mosfetaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 04:42 PM   #23
Ballaratboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Quote:
Thank you guys all so much for the help! I dont know how to reply to you all individually though. I think I might go for the datejust II with a fluted bezel (had to google what that was :/ haha). Like you Ballaratboy I am finding it hard to find many in Australia! Who did you buy off in the US?

Also, NO EBAY!! Got it!!
Louise, I am fairly new to this forum myself and i don't think we are allowed to mention names of watch dealers, apart from those listed in the For Sale section of the forum. I suggest you perhaps take the advice of the more experienced guys here. All I can say is that I investigated a number of places fairly extensively, as much as possible, read reviews etc. I bought myself an Oyster Perpetual Date, two tone 34mm watch as I don't have a very large wrist and I love it. Good luck with your purchase, you won't be sorry you bought a Rolex.
Ballaratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:27 PM   #24
Tompe
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 114060
Have you thought of getting a birth year datejust? I know it's a added complication to your search but could be seen as very thoughtful? Datejusts are fairly easy to find as they are so popular.
Tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 06:33 PM   #25
Lewwillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust
Fluted bezel with blue face (Blue is in at the minute) and jubilee bracelet.
cant go wrong with this combo!
Lewwillo is offline   Reply With Quote