The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 9 January 2016, 02:13 AM   #1
DrBardo
"TRF" Member

Winder vs Winding: Wear and Tear

I recognize that there are quite a few opinons about the use of winders in this forum. The purpose of this post is not to ask whether or not winders are a good idea, but instead to ask if the wear and tear that a winder puts on a watch is better or worse than having to readjust the date once a week.

I have a 1968 GMT Master which doesn't have a quickset function for the date. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am unable to wear the watch during the week, so it only getting worn on the weekend. This means that every Friday I have to reset the date and that means a lot of turning of the crown. I worry that this might be causing more wear than if I simply left the watch running all week long in winder? This question is especially on my mind because I've already had to replace the crown stem once because it broke.

Does anyone have any opinions on this?
DrBardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2016, 03:36 AM   #2
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Winder vs Winding: Wear and Tear

Camps seem to be divided on this issue, damned if you do and damned if you don't. Hope that helps ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2016, 03:41 AM   #3
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBardo View Post
I recognize that there are quite a few opinons about the use of winders in this forum. The purpose of this post is not to ask whether or not winders are a good idea, but instead to ask if the wear and tear that a winder puts on a watch is better or worse than having to readjust the date once a week.

I have a 1968 GMT Master which doesn't have a quickset function for the date. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I am unable to wear the watch during the week, so it only getting worn on the weekend. This means that every Friday I have to reset the date and that means a lot of turning of the crown. I worry that this might be causing more wear than if I simply left the watch running all week long in winder? This question is especially on my mind because I've already had to replace the crown stem once because it broke.

I was thinking the same thing. I have a DD thats my weekend watch. Have it in a safe right now. Have to manual wind it and change date and day on it every friday.

Wondering if it would be better to put it on a winder.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2016, 04:29 AM   #4
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Why do you need to manually wind it? If it is a weekend watch, I mean.

Unscrew the crown and set the time. Screw the crown back in. Then give the watch a light shake - and it will run and then get charged when you move around as normal.
Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2016, 04:32 AM   #5
Lordofrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post
Why do you need to manually wind it? If it is a weekend watch, I mean.

Unscrew the crown and set the time. Screw the crown back in. Then give the watch a light shake - and it will run and then get charged when you move around as normal.
I dont need to wind it. Im just saying that is it better to keep it on the winder like the OP stated or is reseting everything once a week is fine.

Follow me on Instagram: @b_jakobovich
Lordofrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2016, 04:57 AM   #6
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Pretty divided opinions on this subject. Many discussions on the various boards. Most watchmakers so not to use a winder.

I have used a winder for at least 20 years and have not had any issues. I have both vintage and modern watches on the winder. I like being able to just grab a watch and go in the morning. Only issue I have with it, is that if someone broke into the house, my watches are easy to spot and all in one easily accessible place. So I insure them. When I had a smaller four watch winder it fit in the safe and that was ideal. I have an eight watch winder now and it will not fit. May upgrade the safe at some point so the winder will fit...
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 January 2016, 05:58 AM   #7
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Padi must be off duty.

I personally would not use a winder in this situation. Without the winder the watch would stop running and sit idle about 3 days before being wound again. Essentially if kept wound it would run almost twice as long as if it was left to sit idle. That's too much unused wear for my taste. As for winding/setting once a week, that's precisely what the crown is for. The only crown/stem problems I've had was from non-use. Think about it, any watch that is not automatic, and there are a gajillion of them, is wound and set pretty much daily. While a Rolex is an automatic watch, they are also built like tanks and are up to the challenge of winding and setting, so long as done properly i.e. not done ham-fisted or with power tools.
Old 9 January 2016, 06:08 AM   #8
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordofrolex View Post
I dont need to wind it. Im just saying that is it better to keep it on the winder like the OP stated or is reseting everything once a week is fine.
Not refering to "you" specific - but the more general term you all. ;)
Old 9 January 2016, 06:10 AM   #9
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
Padi must be off duty.
That isn't necessarily a bad thing. While he is off duty, we can discuss things that are trivial to him - but cool to discuss among the rest of us.

Besides. It is nice to read post having punctuations. Have no idea why Padi don't use "." and ",".
Old 10 January 2016, 04:10 AM   #10
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBardo View Post
. . .

Sure, everybody has an opinion .

Here's a question: If you only wear it on weekends then why do you feel the need to set the date each time you put it on.. Seems like a waste of effort to me; it's not like anybody would notice..

I'm not much for winders (a watch that is not running is incurring zero wear), but in this case I would probably use one because of the convenience.
Old 10 January 2016, 04:25 AM   #11
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
Sure, everybody has an opinion .

Here's a question: If you only wear it on weekends then why do you feel the need to set the date each time you put it on.. Seems like a waste of effort to me; it's not like anybody would notice..

I'm not much for winders (a watch that is not running is incurring zero wear), but in this case I would probably use one because of the convenience.
See, I like to hear different perspectives. For the same reason, convenience, I come to the opposite conclusion. The convenience is perfectly valid, but for me not if it comes at the expense of wear and tear. Now, if it was the weekday watch instead of the weekend watch, I'd be more inclined towards a winder. In that case I would figure that the watch would pretty much be running all the time anyway (power reserve taking it through most of the weekend), so to avoid the inconvenience of having to wind and set it on Monday morning in case it's not running, I'd consider a winder more appropriate.
Old 10 January 2016, 07:28 AM   #12
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
Don't worry about the date, wind it and set it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 12:37 AM   #13
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

If you only wear it on weekends, don't bother with setting the date.