The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 10 January 2016, 04:06 PM   #1
Estilo
"TRF" Member

Authenticity question - Rolex 6494

Hi guys, am new here, and could use a little help on verifying the authenticity of this 6494 I found from a local seller.

From what I've gathered, everything the seller has described have checked out so far, except for the hour indices with those little dots at the base - they don't seem to be consistent in shape? If I'm not mistaken 6494's were made with several hour index variations, the most common being the needle style, and it's been pretty tough sourcing info on this index type.

I know when it comes to vintage Rolex's seller reputation is one of if not the most crucial aspect. The seller often deals with vintage and new Seikos and vintage pieces from several higher-end brands, and while I have not dealt with him personally he is one of the larger sellers in his market segment and have not heard bad things about him.

Estilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2016, 11:45 PM   #2
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Watch dial is good, and dial is in good condition for its age, most ended up spotting or overall discolored. The bracelet is a bit later than the watch, but that's not a huge deal. It's a pretty nice example, I personally prefer 6694s
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 01:06 AM   #3
Estilo
"TRF" Member

Thanks Andromeda. Would you mind elaborating on the spotting bit, and do you mean discolouring on the dial itself or the indices? Are those blotches at the end of the indices normal? I don't really mind the non-original bracelet as I plan to switch it to a Nato.
Old 11 January 2016, 01:57 AM   #4
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estilo View Post
Thanks Andromeda. Would you mind elaborating on the spotting bit, and do you mean discolouring on the dial itself or the indices? Are those blotches at the end of the indices normal? I don't really mind the non-original bracelet as I plan to switch it to a Nato.

No, the dots at the end of the indices are luminescent material, likely radium in this case. Spotting refers to little dots that show up on the dial from age, and burn to the dial from the lume.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 January 2016, 02:00 AM   #5
Estilo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
No, the dots at the end of the indices are luminescent material, likely radium in this case.
I see, and it's normal that they turn out blotched like that?

Old 11 January 2016, 04:26 AM   #6
Estilo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda160 View Post
No, the dots at the end of the indices are luminescent material, likely radium in this case.
I see, and is it normal for them to blotch up like that over time? And can i get it relumed?