The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 October 2016, 03:17 AM   #1
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
First Aid

After re-reading the painful "sunk the red..." thread I got to wondering about that type of situation where you have no resources available for an immediate professional quick fix of a disaster.

If I had a watch flood with salt water one thing that would come to mind would be to flush the salt water out with fresh. Using a Sub as the model, if somehow you found it flooded it's doubtful that a case back opener would be handy but removing the crystal (at least the plexi type, I have no sapphire clue) is usually pretty easily accomplished with not much more than a small pocket knife or a razor. With the crystal removed gently flooding the watch with clean fresh water could be done and then thoroughly drying. Replacing the crystal should be just as easy to protect the dial and putting the watch up until it can be properly serviced. I would think that this would at least keep the rustable parts from going there and maybe even the dial and lume could survive.

How flawed is my thinking on this?

My Royal Flush:
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2016, 03:42 AM   #2
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

That sounds reasonable, but the crystals are tougher than you think. Most parts can be restored or replaced if they aren't too badly corroded, but the dial is a center of value in a given watch, so I would definitely be trying to rinse that off as soon as humanly possible.
Old 1 October 2016, 04:01 AM   #3
traf
"TRF" Member

Watch: me ride bikes
I suppose doing that can't cause more harm than good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
traf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2016, 05:46 AM   #4
g-boac
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Not speaking from experience or authority, just educated speculation - I'd suspect that your best option would be if washing, to wash with distilled water. Distilled water is exactly that: pure water, no dissolved solids, so when it dries, it leaves no residue of any kind behind.

Thoughts on all this? To be clear, these home remedies aren't long term solutions - I'm thinking of them from the same perspective as the original poster: what are the best immediate options to take, if any, in between the time your vintage watch gets flooded, and the time your watch gets to a watchmaker?
g-boac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2016, 11:48 AM   #5
jban5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513~1675x2~1680~
I wonder how a dial would hold up to being immersed in (you are correct g-boac, distilled would be the best choice) water? I recall finding out many years ago how easy it was to remove most everything from a dial trying to clean off dirt, etc. I don't recall how resilient lume was.
jban5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 October 2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
I like that hand for sure!
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote