The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 May 2017, 06:51 PM   #1
bug1124
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060M
Do bezel inserts fade like this? 16610 Sub

Well I suppose introducing myself with a question (or two) is as good of a way as any, so hi. I'm currently shopping for my first Rolex and came across an older Submariner 16610 (early 1990s I believe, waiting for serial code now). From what I can tell it looks and feels good but the bezel insert is causing me pause. Based on these pictures, is it common for older bezel inserts to fade to a dark blue/grey in this way? Or does it look like an aftermarket insert? I'm also wondering if it's a good idea to send in for a full service (from a vintage part perspective). While it's a T dial, there doesn't appear to be any patina to preserve. Though, I'm unclear if I will get the changed parts back. Also, would having it polished during service be a bad idea?

bug1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 09:30 PM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
That effect could simply be down to the lighting, inserts will fade slightly especially if exposed to strong sunlight for many years.The inserts are quite easy to change and cost around $75 from Rolex.And if no service it would be wise to service, insert could be changed then if you wanted too,after service you will have a full two year warranty.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 09:31 PM   #3
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
doesnt really look that faded to me just worn.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 10:42 PM   #4
JohnnyNoDate
"TRF" Member

The watch already looks worn has been previously polished.

The bezel insert looks fine and has a nice "faded" quality to it - doesn't look forced or aftermarket.

You have to decide if you're looking for a vintage keeper (pass on this and wait) or just a classic daily watch (buy this if the price is right).
JohnnyNoDate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2017, 11:15 PM   #5
bug1124
"TRF" Member

Great info everyone! I'm not specifically looking for a vintage watch but I would certainly wear some patina proudly if if it's legit. I just didn't want to assume it was natural wear since I've seen some people take aftermarket bezels and bleach them, etc. It sounds like there are no glaring issues there though. I also didn't want to buy it and send it for service if I was going to end up ruining a bit of history.

My current thought is pick it up as a daily wearer (actually this and a 16570 explorer II polar white together), pop out the bezel for safe keeping, and send the watch to Rolex for a full service and new bezel. I imagine they'd ask about changing the face/hands and I would decline. I think I would let them do the polish since it's probably never been serviced and I'd like it to be a bit dressier than the explorer II. I currently live in Taipei (US expat) and I'm told Rolex Taiwan sends all of their watches to Singapore for service. When the watch comes back I would have the option of swapping bezel inserts or just keeping the new one as is. Does that sound reasonable or am I getting ahead of myself?

I found out the 16610 pictured is an X serial with no papers which would put it around 1991. For this and a very clean Y serial 16570 polar white explorer II with papers, lug holes and SEL bracelet I'm planning to offer $8050 usd for both. From my research that seems like a fair to good deal for me. Am I wrong?

Thanks so much in advance! :D
Old 12 May 2017, 12:21 AM   #6
sdwtchlvr
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
The bezel insert doesn't really look faded but does look beat up. It's the lighting. Of more concern are the spring bars popping through the lug holes and poor overall finishing of the case. You can do better than $8k for both those watches...if the 16570 is in silimar condition I don't know that either would be a good buy.
sdwtchlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 12:47 AM   #7
bug1124
"TRF" Member

Well darn, it's a good thing I asked first. Now I'm wondering about the explorer. Maybe I need to walk from both of these.

Old 12 May 2017, 12:54 AM   #8
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bug1124 View Post
Great info everyone! I'm not specifically looking for a vintage watch but I would certainly wear some patina proudly if if it's legit. I just didn't want to assume it was natural wear since I've seen some people take aftermarket bezels and bleach them, etc. It sounds like there are no glaring issues there though. I also didn't want to buy it and send it for service if I was going to end up ruining a bit of history.

My current thought is pick it up as a daily wearer (actually this and a 16570 explorer II polar white together), pop out the bezel for safe keeping, and send the watch to Rolex for a full service and new bezel. I imagine they'd ask about changing the face/hands and I would decline. I think I would let them do the polish since it's probably never been serviced and I'd like it to be a bit dressier than the explorer II. I currently live in Taipei (US expat) and I'm told Rolex Taiwan sends all of their watches to Singapore for service. When the watch comes back I would have the option of swapping bezel inserts or just keeping the new one as is. Does that sound reasonable or am I getting ahead of myself?

I found out the 16610 pictured is an X serial with no papers which would put it around 1991. For this and a very clean Y serial 16570 polar white explorer II with papers, lug holes and SEL bracelet I'm planning to offer $8050 usd for both. From my research that seems like a fair to good deal for me. Am I wrong?

Thanks so much in advance! :D

$8050 for both or for each? Would be surprised if you could get both for $8050

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 12:56 AM   #9
bug1124
"TRF" Member

Both is what I was going to offer, he's asking $8550 combined. But I could buy just one or none if that's a better plan.
Old 12 May 2017, 01:47 AM   #10
dera
"TRF" Member

Badly overpolished X ser Sub = 4000-4500USD, Clean Polar Exp2 3500-4000, not sure if you really are getting a great deal here.
dera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 01:59 AM   #11
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

My old (U serial) 16610 bezel looked similar after 17 years...
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 May 2017, 06:17 AM   #12
Colin10101
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
Definitely over polished, you can see the spring bar sticking out on the bottom right hand out. Pass.
Old 12 May 2017, 06:26 AM   #13
learningtofly
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hmmm...
I'd be far more worried about the spring bars poking out the lug holes... looks very badly over-polished to me.
Old 12 May 2017, 07:18 AM   #14
bug1124
"TRF" Member

Well darn, I guess I have plenty to learn about this, so glad I posted. Sounds like it's a no for sure on the sub. Any thoughts on this 16570 then? (btw sorry if my responses are delayed, my posts appear to require approvals)

Old 12 May 2017, 07:55 AM   #15
bug1124
"TRF" Member

Sorry for so many duplicate posts, there was a delay in the approval since I'm new.