The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 June 2017, 03:37 AM   #1
glotzlaw
"TRF" Member

Advice on 1680 Red Sub

Hi all,

Considering this red sub. Thoughts appreciated:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nn7beznx2...0uE6m1N8a?dl=0

Best,

JG
glotzlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:02 AM   #2
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
from those two pics, Its hard to say about true condition from a filtered image. How do we know there are not any dial stains? a sunlight shot would expose those little discrepancies.. Mk3 insert is correct. Have to know the serial range to make sure that mk4 dial is correct for that watch, don't take their word for it, ask for a picture in between the lugs to confirm.. Sometimes tritium hands age to a different tone than the dial. Different batches of tritium during manufacturing. It's possible those are original and possible they were sourced and put in the watch to replace damaged hands, 50/50 chance on that.

It has an updated bracelet 93150.. Correct bracelet would be a 9315. Case has been well polished. We need to see if there is any pitting between the lugs or corrosion to the movement or case back area to give a really fair assessment..

at first glance, they all seem fine, but that is at a glance. So we need more info about the piece to make sure we can set you up for success on your purchase.

lets assume everything is correct on this piece and lets assume it is relatively an issue free piece. In the condition as it sits, I would say the current market on that piece would be between 13 and 13.5k USD.

The market is high right now esp on red subs. it's a sellers market. The dry market sometimes forces buyers to spend more than they should on certain pieces unfortunately.

If it were me, I would pass because the case is too polished for my liking, but if it speaks to you and the price is fair as well as everything else stated above, then pull the trigger.

2 years ago that piece could be had for 10k..
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:16 AM   #3
glotzlaw
"TRF" Member

Thank you! I'm going to go take a look later today. Serial is 3.7 range and they want north of 15k!
Old 21 June 2017, 04:21 AM   #4
SubKing
"TRF" Member

Watch: where do i start??
Quote:
Originally Posted by glotzlaw View Post
Thank you! I'm going to go take a look later today. Serial is 3.7 range and they want north of 15k!
pass!

and like I said, do not take their word for the serial range, you need to verify the serial yourself as well as the movement.

for 16k you can get much better.
SubKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2017, 04:28 AM   #5
glotzlaw
"TRF" Member

Will do. Thanks!
Old 24 June 2017, 05:20 AM   #6
scooba
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Anything
Graham Fowler watches in NYC has a lovely red sub for sale