The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 27 June 2017, 07:52 AM   #1
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Watch: Z blue Milgauss
Frederique Constant, keep or trade for used rolex?

Earlier this year, I picked up a Frederique Constant classic moonphase (not slimline) as a dress watch. I really like the simplicity of the dial, and the moonphase is very cool. It has an in-house movement that is 28k BPM, just like my z blue. It's not COSC, but it runs about -5 seconds/day. I bought it for $1500 on Amazon, and now it's over $3k (closer to retail). I can't find any on ebay. There's a few on chrono24 (is that site valid here?) going for about 1800-3600. It's ref FC715S4H6.

I really like it, but I'm torn about keeping it or not. I love the idea of selling it for more than I paid for it. I feel like it's now or never from that standpoint, because I doubt it will carry the value as long-term as rolex and other more established brands. But I bought it for a reason, I like it, and I think it's an outstanding watch for the price. I never wore the original strap, I replaced it to preserve the original for resale value.

I'm thinking about listing it with a high reserve and if I get 2500 or more, getting a used DJ 1601 and putting a leather strap on it for a dress watch. Or, putting the money towards getting a BLNR. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FC715S4H6.jpg (212.4 KB, 147 views)
Buckeye4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 08:02 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
That is really nice, like the hour markers, I'd probably keep it and enjoy it while saving for a BLNR before trading.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 08:08 AM   #3
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I love that watch. But it is your call.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
It's a beautiful watch, and hard to beat that value. I'd rather have the FC than a DJ on leather as my dress watch.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 09:18 AM   #5
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have the same watch and I snagged it at a temporarily low price on Amazon. I found it easier to read than my JLC MUT Moon. I traded 3 JLCs for my grail, a Patek Calatrava.

I would keep that FC and save for future Rolexes.
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 09:28 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

You won’t get 2½ for it, that’s a certainty – you’ll be lucky if you even have a sniff at 1800.
Anyone interested in a relatively unknown brand will already have an idea of what it’s worth to them, based on having done a bit of basic research.
You can ask as much as you like, but don’t be surprised if you get significantly lower offers or nothing at all.
If you stil like it and haven’t simply grown bored of it, then hang on to it or punt it on at a realistic price and look for the next watch that takes your fancy – whether it be a Rolex or something else. There are plenty of brands to choose from, so you won’t be short of selection.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 10:39 AM   #7
wach16
"TRF" Member

Watch: 228239, PAM00684
Since you already have a Z-blue, I would keep it and save up for the datejust or BLNR...That is a nice looking watch

Rolex 228239
PAM00684
wach16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:32 AM   #8
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Beautiful, I'd keep it.
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 11:33 AM   #9
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I like this watch a lot...definitely a vintage vibe but with modern touches. I'm with the others...keep it and save for the next
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 12:22 PM   #10
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the feedback. You've convinced me to keep it. Even posting the picture reminded me why I like it. There's a YouTube personality who shall not be named that pontificates his hatred for FC so it's nice to know what real people think.
Old 27 June 2017, 01:25 PM   #11
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye4life View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. You've convinced me to keep it. Even posting the picture reminded me why I like it. There's a YouTube personality who shall not be named that pontificates his hatred for FC so it's nice to know what real people think.
I'm glad you decided to keep it. I love that watch, and if my lifestyle called for a dress watch I think that would be the one (or a JLC).

Be careful not to be swayed by the rants of a raving lunatic who screams and calls you a f*cker while telling you about the watches he hates.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 01:39 PM   #12
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
That watch is truly a keeper for all the reasons mentioned.

I have a Frederique Constant that I like very much, but I can't kid myself about its resale value, so it's in my best interest to keep it and enjoy it for the reasons I bought it--to wear and enjoy.

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Buckeye4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
I'm glad you decided to keep it. I love that watch, and if my lifestyle called for a dress watch I think that would be the one (or a JLC).

Be careful not to be swayed by the rants of a raving lunatic who screams and calls you a f*cker while telling you about the watches he hates.
Agreed! I have to admit, I used to laugh at his antics and thought "hey, at least he's making money doing what he wants to do." But once he started soliciting his viewers for $1000 donations while he's down on his luck, it crossed the line for me. Not sure what's real and what's an act, but either way it's not worth watching.
Old 27 June 2017, 04:06 PM   #14
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

It's a really pretty watch, but you would lose a lot of money selling it right now...if you could at all...

Market on pieces like this is as soft as it gets.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2017, 04:30 PM   #15
Gharddog03
"TRF" Member

Watch: R O L E X
Very nice FC. At 1500$. Just keep it.
Gharddog03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 12:51 AM   #16
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Good luck but you won't get anywhere near the 2.800 mark, FC is not a brand known for good value retention, I would keep it if you wear it, if you won't wear it then watch out for any other and sell if you can get a good price, but prices you gave are too high IMHO
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote