The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 June 2017, 05:15 AM   #31
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
OP,

- You don't have to go to RSC to fix your watch. Many trusted watch repair shops are around that you can use. You might want to ask TRF on one near you, or talk to shops in US and see if you can ship to them.

- You don't have to take any harsh decisions now. Your Rolex won't lose any value sitting in your safe in its current condition until you have the funds or time to fix it and enjoy it or sell it. Meanwhile, order a $200 Seiko dive watch from Amazon to get you by.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:33 AM   #32
Castor
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer II
Thanks for the replies. I apologize for the tone of my last post, I was very tired & stressed.

I just told my wife about the watch & she is some seriously ticked off! She wonders why a Rolex is so flimsy, especially at its price point? Talks about her brother owning a Rado at far less than a quarter of the price & he never has any problems... then again the most physical thing he does is shuffle papers. I, on the other hand, am very active. She doesn't trust Rolex & just wants me to get the watch back & put it in storage as a "momento". She's in a mood I've learned to not argue with. Later... when she's calmed down.

In the meantime I'll just get my watch back & get it repaired when I can.

Thanks all.

I guess it's my Timex for the foreseeable future.
Castor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:34 AM   #33
Castor
"TRF" Member

Does anyone know somebody in the Edmonton area who can service a Rolex? Authorized or not?
Old 28 June 2017, 10:52 AM   #34
Castor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
OK, lets look at the reality of the situation.

Watch is broken and for whatever reason doesn't hold reserve.

Watch would go to Rolex through AD. Sounds like a broken mainspring. Will need that and a service, so after all the shipping and such, expect the bill to be around $800.00 US.

After that, the watch will be like new and carry a warranty.

If you don't want to spend the money to service, then you can EXIT Rolex now and sell the watch at a substantial loss.

Hard CASH BID from a pre-owned watch dealer on a nice, crisp and working 216570 is approx $4800 to $5000 US. That is with a no problems piece, box and papers. Present the watch and get the cash...

To cash out your watch its current state would be around $3000 US or maybe less...if you can find a buyer.

You could also get the watch fixed, then sell to get out of Rolex and the headache you are concerned about.

It just depends on how much of a hit you will take vs what you paid for the watch and also whether or not ownership of mechanical watches such as Rolex are for you....which it very well might not be...

There is no shame in punting and moving on...
Thanks. $3000 is about was about the best I could get for it as is.
Old 28 June 2017, 07:42 PM   #35
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor View Post
Thanks for the replies. I apologize for the tone of my last post, I was very tired & stressed.

I just told my wife about the watch & she is some seriously ticked off! She wonders why a Rolex is so flimsy, especially at its price point? Talks about her brother owning a Rado at far less than a quarter of the price & he never has any problems... then again the most physical thing he does is shuffle papers. I, on the other hand, am very active. She doesn't trust Rolex & just wants me to get the watch back & put it in storage as a "momento". She's in a mood I've learned to not argue with. Later... when she's calmed down.

In the meantime I'll just get my watch back & get it repaired when I can.

Thanks all.

I guess it's my Timex for the foreseeable future.
A Rolex is far fro ma flimsy watch. Especially the 216570
Old 30 June 2017, 02:27 AM   #36
Castor
"TRF" Member

Well friends, I likely won't be posting on here for a while: at least until my Rolex is fixed. My wife absolutely forbids me from repairing it: too flimsy & too expensive. So it goes into storage for the next few years until I can get it fixed or sell it.

It's been fun!
Old 30 June 2017, 03:46 AM   #37
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Well friends, I likely won't be posting on here for a while: at least until my Rolex is fixed. My wife absolutely forbids me from repairing it: too flimsy & too expensive. So it goes into storage for the next few years until I can get it fixed or sell it.

It's been fun!
It's 5 years old not brand new so get it serviced and back on your wrist where it belongs otherwise you've wasted all that money in buying it just to keep it in the dark for only the rat's pleasure! Put your foot down, when it comes to your watches you're allowed to, I'm sure her shoes and bags etc are not all perfect after 5 years and get replaced let alone fixed.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 06:40 AM   #38
mtgjr
Banned

Watch: Pepsi GMT
Wow. I really feel for you, buddy. Lots of things come to mind here, but I will hold my tongue. Best of luck to you....seems you may need it.
mtgjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 07:03 AM   #39
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Kind of speechless over the wife post. She forbids you from repairing the watch? If that is the case, the watch may be less of a problem....

Seen many times where an AD inspected a watch and suggested sending it to RSC for a service. Also seems the quick forum response is to send it to RSC. If under warranty, sure why not. But if it is not under warranty, just because there is an issue does not necessarily mean the watch needs a full service. In many cases a good independent watch smith can fix the issue quickly and cheaply. A friend recently took his Rolex that was having issues to the AD in Bellevue as it was keeping time erratically. They of course suggested a full service. I had him take it to my guy for a second opinion and it was fixed in 10 minutes for $50.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 07:12 AM   #40
pw98
"TRF" Member

My two cents. I agree that there are way too many good independents out there and some can do a complete overhaul for $275(dependent on parts and availability). That's too nice a watch to weather away in a damn drawer. Always easier to ask for forgiveness instead of permission.
pw98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 08:17 AM   #41
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
I don't believe the independent have a Rolex account longer. About the dial so will Rolex trade in the old so they will only send
the same back.
There are independents that still have parts accounts. That isn't true at all.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 08:32 AM   #42
faz
"TRF" Member

Watch: like'em all
Quote:

It's been fun!
Take care of your personal life (wife/relationship) for now, no need to rock any boats at this time for a watch.

As others have mentioned, Rolexes are far from flimsy. Trust me, my bluesy has been loved and used in the last 10 years and only got its first service a few months ago.

Look for and find a local shop, or even a U.S. shop to ship the watch to for repairs and back. Don't rush it, let your wife calm down and gradually work towards getting the watch fixed.

Instagram @fazmoto
faz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 09:00 AM   #43
faldoc
"TRF" Member

Not flimsy as mentioned, but quite a lot of precision parts which can break.

I never thought I was rough with my Rolex but I had a problem after wearing mine for a few years a quarter of a century ago, and had it repaired along with a new crystal, about $400 I think.

I only wear that one occasionally yet it runs fast after 20 years of sitting in the safe.

Now at Rolex service, cost is $800+. I can't (won't) sell it, it's from my Mom who died last year.

So I have bought a new SubC to tide me over.

If I were in your shoes I'd let it rest and save the money up from my "fun/hobby" fund and fix it. Whether you opt to sell it, well that's a tough one.

Expensive maintenance is the price of owning & wearing a luxury watch.
faldoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 09:09 AM   #44
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quote:

It's been fun!

Sell watch now and move on.

These types of watches require a certain tolerance for mechanical issues..

It's a great time to make your exit...
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 02:00 PM   #45
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
Sell watch now and move on.

These types of watches require a certain tolerance for mechanical issues..

It's a great time to make your exit...
Agreed
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote