The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2017, 09:56 PM   #1
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610 Submariner
Sub stoppin on winder

My 16610 was last serviced by Rolex NYC in June 2013. When not being worn, I have it on a Heiden 4-watch winder. Ever since I got this winder, my Sub has been stopping after a few days, even with a full wind. I've even bumped up its winder to 1850 turns per day - the highest setting.

I have three other watches on this winder that keep time without issue (an Oris ProPilot, a vintage Omega and a Seiko Cocktail Time).

It never used to do this on my old no-name double winder. After a complete service just 4 years ago, is it likely that it's in need again so soon? I haven't measured its amplitude lately. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

But for some reason, its weight doesn't seem to be winding the watch on the winder. Yet it keeps next to perfect time on my wrist.

Any ideas?

I suppose the next option is to swap its winder with one of the other watches and see if it's not really doing the full 1850 TPD.

2009 16610 Submariner Date
1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
1965 Vulcain Voyager Chronograph
bscepter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 09:57 PM   #2
peterpl
Banned

Your auto winding mechanism is not working it sounds like. Send it to RSC.

Its not your winder. If other watches are working fine
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:01 PM   #3
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
Your auto winding mechanism is not working it sounds like. Send it to RSC.

Its not your winder. If other watches are working fine
Then why does it work perfectly when worn on the wrist? I just got back from a 10-day vacation where I wore the sub exclusively, and it never stopped once. In fact, it was running at about +2 every day.

My winder has four individual motors. isn't it more likely that the particular motor I had the sub on isn't doing a full 1850 TPD?

I still have my old winder; I may try it on that for a while to compare.

1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
Old 28 June 2017, 10:04 PM   #4
peterpl
Banned

Oh misread that part about when you wear it.

OK next step is to change winder positions with one of the other watches and test it. If it still doesnt hold charge then there is a problem somewhere.

All my Rolex's keep perfect timing on the winder and my winders are set to only 750 TPD.
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:17 PM   #5
arguetaoscar
"TRF" Member

Can you wear it on the wrist for 1 week? And see if it stops while being worn .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arguetaoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 10:32 PM   #6
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Same thing was happening with my Breitling Chronomat.
I'd wear it, no problems.
I'd put it in the winder, would stop after power reserve ran out.
Switched it to three other winders, same thing so I sent it in for warranty work.
Appears there is a malfunction per what they have told me.

Try switching it to another winder/slot and see what happens.
Old 28 June 2017, 10:58 PM   #7
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arguetaoscar View Post
Can you wear it on the wrist for 1 week? And see if it stops while being worn .
Already did that. It wears fine. No issues.

I'm thinking it's the winder. Or something weird with the angle of the winder - maybe the watch just doesn't like that angle. In fact, all my watches run a bit slow on the winder, even though they are set to run slightly fast on the wrist.

1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
Old 28 June 2017, 11:20 PM   #8
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscepter View Post
My 16610 was last serviced by Rolex NYC in June 2013. When not being worn, I have it on a Heiden 4-watch winder. Ever since I got this winder, my Sub has been stopping after a few days, even with a full wind. I've even bumped up its winder to 1850 turns per day - the highest setting.

I have three other watches on this winder that keep time without issue (an Oris ProPilot, a vintage Omega and a Seiko Cocktail Time).

It never used to do this on my old no-name double winder. After a complete service just 4 years ago, is it likely that it's in need again so soon? I haven't measured its amplitude lately. Maybe I'll do that this weekend.

But for some reason, its weight doesn't seem to be winding the watch on the winder. Yet it keeps next to perfect time on my wrist.

Any ideas?

I suppose the next option is to swap its winder with one of the other watches and see if it's not really doing the full 1850 TPD.
Your 16610 is telling you it needs to be on what the watch was designed for the most perfect winder in the world your wrists.Take watch off winder give it 40 full crown turns clockwise only,it should run anything between 39 -48 hours before it stopped if it does mainspring is fine.Next just give it a small wind just to get it started, then wear as normal for two days of at least 8- 10 hours wearing with reasonable wrist activity.Then take it off and check the amount of hours before it stops to check the auto wind mechanism.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:39 PM   #9
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Padi56 is addressing if your mainspring is healthy. If it passes that test, then perhaps your rotor might be the issue. Sounds like your rotor has a bit of drag. Your rotor should move effortlessly with little movement to make it move. Your watch works on your wrist because your wrist movements are more violent than a smooth turn your winder makes. I think your watch needs serviced but you can try to adjust the way your pillow holds your Rolex in the winder. The watch needs to be more of a 90 degree than layed back when in the winder. That way the rotor has the most gravitational effect when the winder spins. I have been using winders for over 20 years now with a lot of brands. They all get a proper wind providing they sit at the most 90 degree angle you can adjust them. Providing your watch is sitting on the winder correctly, if it still doesn't wind the watch, your watch is defective and needs serviced.
Old 28 June 2017, 11:46 PM   #10
MonBK
Banned

My money is on the winder motor.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2017, 11:49 PM   #11
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
The watch needs to be more of a 90 degree than layed back when in the winder. That way the rotor has the most gravitational effect when the winder spins. I have been using winders for over 20 years now with a lot of brands. They all get a proper wind providing they sit at the most 90 degree angle you can adjust them. Providing your watch is sitting on the winder correctly, if it still doesn't wind the watch, your watch is defective and needs serviced.
On my winder, the watches sit at about a 45º angle.

Here's a pic of mine:

1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
Old 29 June 2017, 12:08 AM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That's your issue. If your rotor doesn't move effortlessly, it will require the watch to be more of a extreme 90 degree angle when using a watch winding box. Winders that have the watch layed back are for viewing and not optimum winding. It's a design flaw of that watch winder. Either prop the winder up under just the back of the entire case or adjust the watch on the pillow so it sits at more of a 90 degree angle. Maybe both. Whatever it takes to get your watches to sit as close to 90 degrees on the head of the winder. I am 95% sure that is you problem.

Quote:
On my winder, the watches sit at about a 45º angle.

Here's a pic of mine:

Old 29 June 2017, 12:11 AM   #13
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's your issue. If your rotor doesn't move effortlessly, it will require the watch to be more of a extreme 90 degree angle. Winders that have the watch layed back are for viewing and not optimum winding. It's a design flaw of that watch winder. Either prop the winder up under just the back or adjust the watch on the pillow so it sits at more of a 90 degree angle.
Ah. I wondered. I guess that's why the super-expensive Wolf winders are all at 90º angles.

1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
Old 29 June 2017, 12:15 AM   #14
wrist_watcher
Banned

Watch: GMTII
Consider a Wolf winder. The watch sits with the watch head totally vertical instead of an angle like yours. I believe this makes the winding rotor spin more freely on its axis. But before you consider the winder, do as been said wind it up 40 times and wear it for a week and see if all is well and it keeps running
wrist_watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:16 AM   #15
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Ah. I wondered. I guess that's why the super-expensive Wolf winders are all at 90º angles.
Yes, I own Orbita, Wolf and a Brookstone quad winder. The Brookstone sits back but you can adjust the watch on the pillow when it sits in the winder to have a more extreme upright angle. You can make your winder work by propping the rear of the winder up by maybe a 2" wooden block. Be creative.
Old 29 June 2017, 12:20 AM   #16
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I own Orbita, Wolf and a Brookstone quad winder. The Brookstone sits back but you can adjust the watch on the pillow when it sits in the winder to have a more extreme upright angle. You can make your winder work by propping the rear of the winder up by maybe a 2" wooden block. Be creative.
I'll try adjusting the pillows too.

1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
Old 29 June 2017, 12:21 AM   #17
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrist_watcher View Post
But before you consider the winder, do as been said wind it up 40 times and wear it for a week and see if all is well and it keeps running
as I mentioned earlier, I just got back from a 10-day vacation during which I only wore the Sub, and it worked fine the whole time. I didn't have to wind it once.

1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
Old 29 June 2017, 12:23 AM   #18
tomchicago
Banned

Watch: 16710BLRO, 214270.
Winders = Bad.
tomchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #19
bscepter
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchicago View Post
Winders = Bad.
Why?

1971 1601 Datejust
1966 Omega Seamaster
Old 29 June 2017, 12:26 AM   #20
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

I did a watch winder tutorial years back (2011) on some tips and tricks. I have used watch winders for over 20 years now. I had a forum documented TT Bluesy run continuously either on my wrist or on the winder for 15 years straight. On its first routine service at the 15 years mark, there was no additional wear to any of the parts. Only the routine serviced parts were required.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...in+spring+test