The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 June 2017, 09:11 AM   #91
xtremerz
"TRF" Member

I have a gmt ii that gone bad with rough winding in 3 years after full overhaul - 1 year after service warranty expired. I brough it in to RSC and they are repairing it on goodwill.. i think haha the person said it would take two weeks for them to look into the issue.
xtremerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 08:46 AM   #92
manduke1956
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer Date 5701
Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdowntodd View Post
So ... Long story short (as possible) ... for those that dont know me.. im a normal guy, lower salary, work 60 hours a week, etc.. Saved for years to buy a Rolex again after having to sell my GMT after losing a previous job and being unemployed 2+ years.. .. So, I saved $25-50-100 a paycheck whatever I could until I could buy in again...

I end up with a Sept. 2013 purchased Deep Sea ... I wear it daily, enjoy it.. etc

Fast forward to this weekend.. I notice on only a 45 degree angle, that i get a humming vibration from the rotor (i can feel it, and yes, I know its the shaft, lube, or weights...). ... i can feel it "turn" 1 time, not continuous

Today.. I take it in to my AD (first day off since feeling it) ... and ask.. the tech right away feels it, and says "yup, the lube is drying up" ... now.. normal model, no issue.. they could pop the case back there, and check. Even tech says more than likely a quick, simple, and cheap fix... BUTTTTT ... Deep Sea, as i found out.. they cannot open due to the pressurizing, case size, etc... (Hopefully this is true, as they have never lied to me in all these years)... so the only option... RSC ...

Now... i realize that the 5 year warranty didnt kick in until 2015.. I realize my year was granted an additional 1 year.. but still, i find myself 9 months out of that warranty now... and my issue is 95% according to the tech simply lubrication... this watch sees no diving, normal wear, no drops or bangs, im very nice on this watch.. its my baby ...

so .. heres my anger.. as a mechanically inclined individual.. how can Rolex justify a 3-4yr old sealed watch drying up on lube? And how can this result in my having to spend $700-1000 likely for a service? For a guy like me, that will take 3-4 months just to pay off on credit card.. I called RSC, and they had a nice way of basically telling me sorry, warranty is out, send in for full service.. This is like having a 3 year old Toyota thats losing transmission fluid in my mind.. there is no excuse

so what do i do ...?

enjoy the model I love.. or when back from service sell, and downgrade to a sub or something that my AD can tinker with?

Should i think this will happen again? this watch otherwise, needs no service.. cosmetically its great, running great (within spec), keeping great reserve, etc...

I realize maybe someone in my income bracket doesnt "deserve" a Rolex, maybe shouldnt get to enjoy it.. but i busted my ass to get this thing.. now here i am a few years later looking at a full service? That just seems like pure shit!

thoughts? advice?

I sent my vintage explorer date to Leo at official time watch in Salt Lake. Us regular working people who like rolex (or IWC or Patek) need to stay away from them. Way overdone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manduke1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 10:18 AM   #93
Napoleon
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLRO / Sub / Polar
Happened to me a little over a year after purchased. They can dry up. Recommend a watchmaker named Rik on this forum. He's from Florida and services a lot of TRF member's pieces. He's got all the certifications from Rolex and will save you a couple hundred bucks on the service.
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:06 PM   #94
jeffgo888
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me disappear into
Sorry to hear your plight...
1). yes, you worked HARD, you deserve to be happy and wear a Rolex.
2). As others have said, its no return now, you will need to get it fixed, and fixed properly.
RSC Dallas is best bet, as they have all the equipment to repair and TEST,and OFFER wa warranty back to you, if you decide to sell it, its worth the investment.
There really is no other recourse, it is a Rolex and sometimes, we need to put money into it

hth

jeffgo888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 02:09 PM   #95
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
Happened to me a little over a year after purchased. They can dry up. Recommend a watchmaker named Rik on this forum. He's from Florida and services a lot of TRF member's pieces. He's got all the certifications from Rolex and will save you a couple hundred bucks on the service.
He has already responded to this thread.

He has stated that Rolex has exclusive access to the tools used to open the DSSD Case-back.
In summary it seems he cannot help the OP.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 03:19 PM   #96
samsam
"TRF" Member

That's unfortunate. I understand where you come from.
To help give solutions, if RSC quotes you an arm or leg, I'd try other third party shops. I heard of some top notch guys here at the forum. You use the search function or other members may chime in.
Lastly, you deserve your watch as much as anyone else. You worked hard and paid for it.

samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 June 2017, 07:58 PM   #97
UnicoJG
"TRF" Member

Watch: Always!
Truly sorry to hear your story! I hope you get a positive resolution if you decide to send to to RSC.
UnicoJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 12:25 AM   #98
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicoJG View Post
Truly sorry to hear your story! I hope you get a positive resolution if you decide to send to to RSC.
He has to send it to an RSC.
There's apparently no other choice.
Old 30 June 2017, 12:40 AM   #99
JnmEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18038 Presidential
Just watch out for KENT in Chicago...... ;p
JnmEaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:24 AM   #100
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

This is where your AD really earns his money; he needs to lobby for you, and get the work done for free. A good AD can usually swing things like that. Rolex are a fair company and will often respond well. Good luck.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 06:50 AM   #101
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Sorry about the situation. I honestly would pissed also to have an issue like this on such a high end watch. If it was me I would get back from service and sell it. Then get a watch that can be serviced by most watchmakers.

Good luck.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 07:43 AM   #102
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Well, in defense of Rolex you really don't know anything until they open it up, have a look and tell you what the damages will be. They may well not charge you, so since you haven't actually been shot, you aren't bleeding yet. As to the Deep Sea, mine is one of the very early watches and has gone about eight years and counting without a service. My first Sub, purchased in 1996 or thereabouts went ten years and truthfully, I beat the crap out of it. My stepson now has it and it hasn't been serviced in ten years. On the flip side, I purchased an SD4000 used and it just stopped dead after a year. I have no idea why but off to Rolex it went, had a full service, and back to me with no charge. Look at it this way--when it's serviced you will be good, most likely, for up to ten years. If you do the math, you are way ahead of the game. If you want to sell, the price is higher because of a recent Rolex service. If you keep it (my recommendation) you have an essentially "new" watch that should serve you well for years to come!
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 08:12 AM   #103
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
Well, in defense of Rolex you really don't know anything until they open it up, have a look and tell you what the damages will be. They may well not charge you, so since you haven't actually been shot, you aren't bleeding yet. As to the Deep Sea, mine is one of the very early watches and has gone about eight years and counting without a service. My first Sub, purchased in 1996 or thereabouts went ten years and truthfully, I beat the crap out of it. My stepson now has it and it hasn't been serviced in ten years. On the flip side, I purchased an SD4000 used and it just stopped dead after a year. I have no idea why but off to Rolex it went, had a full service, and back to me with no charge. Look at it this way--when it's serviced you will be good, most likely, for up to ten years. If you do the math, you are way ahead of the game. If you want to sell, the price is higher because of a recent Rolex service. If you keep it (my recommendation) you have an essentially "new" watch that should serve you well for years to come!
Not if they use the same "oils" they used last time. It would be back again in 3-4 years.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 09:29 AM   #104
eltonbalch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Not if they use the same "oils" they used last time. It would be back again in 3-4 years.
Hey--I'm a glass is half full person

Seriously though, I'd like to think that once the specific problem is addressed (and we don't know it's related to oils) the long term outlook will be positive.
eltonbalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 10:52 AM   #105
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltonbalch View Post
Hey--I'm a glass is half full person

Seriously though, I'd like to think that once the specific problem is addressed (and we don't know it's related to oils) the long term outlook will be positive.
Agreed.

I've had a few things fixed under warranty. One item was fixed twice within two weeks with the same issue and it never gave an ounce of trouble up until it was finally retired decades afterward.
Just recently I had something fixed twice for the same issue and it was only just out of warranty. (Good will)
I have a great car which had a problem develop just out of warranty about a week after a service at the dealer and it was fixed.
At the same time I mentioned a small issue that was troubling me that I hadn't noticed previously which by nature would've been a long term problem. It was covered at the same time but required a re-booking to rectify.
Both issues were covered by good will.

Sometimes we've got to have a little faith.
Old 30 June 2017, 11:24 AM   #106
blankovich
"TRF" Member

This may be an unpopular opinion, but when I was young I could swing the purchase price of a Mercedes or Lexus but the service from the dealership was outrageous. Now I can afford to have my RX350 serviced at the Lexus dearlership, but I choose to go to Firestone. Same service at literally half the cost. I also don't by my cars new and find three to four year old lease returns that where "mistreated" (a scratch here or there) and discounted like crazy with full warrantee. It takes two to five months to find one after putting in an appearance at ll the dealerships, but they are happy to get rid of a luxury car that is "damaged" in appearance. I drive the car for at least 200K miles and get another. I have it survived at Lexus only for major repairs.

Now, I don't know if this will help you with your Rolex or not. The more experience heads here can tell you that.

Are there any third party Rolex depots who can help?
blankovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 01:33 PM   #107
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankovich View Post
This may be an unpopular opinion, but when I was young I could swing the purchase price of a Mercedes or Lexus but the service from the dealership was outrageous. Now I can afford to have my RX350 serviced at the Lexus dearlership, but I choose to go to Firestone. Same service at literally half the cost. I also don't by my cars new and find three to four year old lease returns that where "mistreated" (a scratch here or there) and discounted like crazy with full warrantee. It takes two to five months to find one after putting in an appearance at ll the dealerships, but they are happy to get rid of a luxury car that is "damaged" in appearance. I drive the car for at least 200K miles and get another. I have it survived at Lexus only for major repairs.

Now, I don't know if this will help you with your Rolex or not. The more experience heads here can tell you that.

No.
Only Rolex can help him with his DSSD
Old 30 June 2017, 09:05 PM   #108
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
Nobody. It's unusual and it sucks.

It could be a loose screw. There's no reason to think an AD can diagnose a movement problem by shaking it once. You sent it to the rsc. Wait until you hear back.
I agree, it could be a loose screw, somewhere?.

Todd, as Peter said around post 73.
What did the RSC say?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 June 2017, 09:41 PM   #109
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankovich View Post

This post will only help if your Mercedes or Lexus Service Centre can unscrew a DSSD case back, fix the problem and pressure test it to spec?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 12:45 AM   #110
rajcuatrista
"TRF" Member

Hi Todd
I too worked very hard to acquire my timepiece and I feel your pain. Any body that works hard deserves what They want.
I hope that Rolex and/or AD's treat your situation properly.
rajcuatrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 01:21 AM   #111
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
This post will only help if your Mercedes or Lexus Service Centre can unscrew a DSSD case back, fix the problem and pressure test it to spec?

Brilliant!!

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 09:39 PM   #112
Basque1
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 1973ca
Rolex is like a Range Rover, when it works fine is the best car (IMO), however, when service id needed you pray the it is not something major. Rest assured that the "sealer" will do anything in their power to find a pricey fix whether it is needed or not.

I am not enamored of RSC (I have and still having issues with them) but, that been said, I agree that you should bite the bullet and let them fix whatever is wrong with the watch.

Don't sell it, you worked hard for it and I fully understand your frustration, don't expect either for RSC to be specious with you either--they are not in the "happy customer service" business.

As someone said to me a while ago we are just the "keepers of these watches never the owners"
Cheers man
Lou
Old 1 July 2017, 10:43 PM   #113
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basque1 View Post
Rolex is like a Range Rover, when it works fine is the best car (IMO), however, when service id needed you pray the it is not something major. Rest assured that the "sealer" will do anything in their power to find a pricey fix whether it is needed or not.

As someone said to me a while ago we are just the "keepers of these watches never the owners"
Cheers man
Lou
Your comments apply with even more pertinence to Patek.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 July 2017, 10:50 PM   #114
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
When buying I take into account future service costs.
No Deep Sea in my future.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 01:07 AM   #115
gregmoeck
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek
A watch that cost as much as a deep sea shouldn't need fixed in 5 years. I'm starting to think omega is much better these days
gregmoeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 01:18 AM   #116
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmoeck View Post
A watch that cost as much as a deep sea shouldn't need fixed in 5 years. I'm starting to think omega is much better these days
Sadly, nowadays, Rolex is just a mass produced piece of fashion jewelry that happens to tell the time with great marketing...much more interesting than a bracelet however.

You just have to realize and accept that before you shell out the $$$.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 03:35 AM   #117
colpol
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Send it to RSC for a (free) quote. See what they say when they have opened it up.
Agree with this

Realise the Watch not that old when you purchased but at end of day - still bought used/ not new & you've no idea what happened in those 6 months or indeed why the owner or owners sold it.
colpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 04:39 AM   #118
KrismanX
"TRF" Member

Watch: my feet.
What a frustration... I really hope things are resolved pleasantly as possible.

I'm having recurring issues with a car that I bought less than a year ago(and man am I glad I paid for the extended warranty). I try to spend money on things/brands that are known for their dependability, with the expectation that my example will follow suit. Unfortunately in life, cars, watches, women... when reality does not live up to expectation we as humans can only be offended and frustrated about it. There are sayings about not holding any expectations in life, for they are only a set up for suffering.

Hope for the best; but prepare for the worst. Kilyung made a good recommendation to budget in a watch repair(or life repair) fund for yourself. I being in a similar financial boat find this a helpful hint for my looming(and hopefully prolonged) service date. Let us know what RSC tells you!

Best of luck

"Better three hours too soon, than a minute too late."

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us."

ref. 116520 Daytona - 10/2014
KrismanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 05:52 AM   #119
Uhtred59
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Are we still talking about a second hand watch with an unknown history?
Uhtred59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 July 2017, 07:58 AM   #120
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Your comments apply with even more pertinence to Patek.
Oh yeah