The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 April 2011, 02:48 PM   #1
nichols
"TRF" Member

Inherited my first Rolex - questions!

Hi folks,

First of all, reading some of the threads on here are extremely refreshing - nice to know there are so many other people out there with a love for watches.

My grandmother recently gave me a a Rolex watch owned by my grandfather, who passed away just over a year ago. It's a model 6694 I believe - that's the number engraved on the case at 12 o'clock on the watch. Unfortunately, it does not have the original band - it has a metal expanding band currently on it. I do have a few questions:

1. Obviously, there are a lot of replica watches out there. Since my grandfather had this watch so long, I have to assume it's genuine. All of the 6694 examples I've found online have "oysterdate" under Rolex, as mine does, but nearly all of them have "precision" just above 6 o'clock on the watch face. This watch does not. Were there different options for the 6694, or is there an elephant in the room?

2. Setting the date - is it really just pulling out the crown and spinning the hour hands until I get around to the correct day, or is there a shortcut I'm missing? It appears the crown can only be either screwed in, or pulled out to a single stop. How does one account for 30/31/28/29 month days?

3. Where would I buy an authentic replacement band?

Thanks for any help, folks.
nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 04:34 PM   #2
Poohsan
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 1675
Welcome to TRF.

I believe your 6694 does not have a quickset complication so you will need to rotate the hour hands until you get to the correct day.

The calendar only has 31 days so on months with fewer days you will need to change the date.

I believe you can rotate hands backwards to move the date wheel backwards as well.
Old 21 April 2011, 04:40 PM   #3
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Arron has it right. I have the 6694 and while I love the style and look, it does take a bit more work to set the time and date and remember its not an automatic, so you will have to wind it once per day. I wind it in the morning an it lasts until the next day.

As far as a band, you will have to search watch makers or ebay for an old 20mm oyster band, but try a leather band as well.

Here are two photos of mine with the oyster band and the leather band I am using currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 04152011_6694.jpg (103.9 KB, 903 views)
File Type: jpg 6694_leather_72dpi.jpg (230.2 KB, 901 views)

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 04:43 PM   #4
dbphotos
"TRF" Member

Watch: your 6!
Also, I haven't seen any replicas of this watch. There may be, but since it is a fairly inexpensive watch (as far as Rolex's go) it doesn't pay counterfeiters as well as a modern auto watch, so I wouldn't be too concerned. Find a local watchmaker and see if they are willing to take the back off just to make sure you have a Rolex mechanical movement.

Rolex DD YG 18238 | Rolex 1675 Pepsi | Rolex 14060 |
Rolex Vintage 6694 | Rolex TT 16013 | Tudor Tiger 79280P on Shark strap | a whole bunch of misc watches
dbphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Poohsan
"TRF" Member

Just to be fair to the 6694.... my 1680 is just as time consuming to set!
Old 21 April 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohsan View Post
Yes.........but isn't it just worth it

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 April 2011, 09:59 PM   #7
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I believe you can rotate hands backwards to move the date wheel backwards as well.
Is that true? I figured it would screw up the date-setting gears or something.

Good lord that would have come in handy when I got my non-quick set GMT the other day. Sat there moving the time ahead almost 20 days when all I had to do was go a few backwards...
Old 22 April 2011, 01:36 AM   #8
Poohsan
"TRF" Member

I just tried going backwards when setting my non-quickset 1680. The dated does roll backwards. but I needed to go well past 12:00am.
Old 22 April 2011, 01:51 AM   #9
nichols
"TRF" Member

I had the same result on my watch - the date finally flipped back around 9:30 or so going backwards.

Thanks for all of the replies, everyone. David, that black band shot is about what I had envisioned picking up for a band in the short term until I can find a suitable correct replacement. But, are you sure it's 20mm? Mine seems to be a 19mm as far as I can tell.

Is it possible, based on the serial number, a Rolex dealer will be able to tell me what originally shipped with the watch? Also, if anyone has had good experiences with a Rolex dealer in/around the Worcester or Boston area in Massachusetts to clean it and possible replace the crystal, I'd appreciate any leads. Alternatively, if there are known good products, tools, and methods to cleaning/polishing/etc, I'd love to read up.

Thanks again, everyone. I'm quite honored to have it, and hopefully I can express to my son just how much it means to me to be able to pass it down to him.
Old 22 April 2011, 02:23 AM   #10
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Tell me about it - took turning the crown through a whole TV show to set my 1675 when I got it :)
Old 22 April 2011, 02:48 AM   #11
adam78
"TRF" Member

You're right, the 6694 is 19mm betwixt the lugs.

You can look for a folded Oyster 7835 or riveted one marked 7205. End pieces are not so big an issue, but with the 7205 either #57 or #60 seem to work well. C & I USA-made riveted bracelet would be find as well (end pieces integral and non-changeable on these).

Or you can keep it on a strap; it'll look fine.
Old 22 April 2011, 02:54 AM   #12
dnagwhogas
"TRF" Member

Watch: N :Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphotos View Post
Arron has it right. I have the 6694 and while I love the style and look, it does take a bit more work to set the time and date and remember its not an automatic, so you will have to wind it once per day. I wind it in the morning an it lasts until the next day.

As far as a band, you will have to search watch makers or ebay for an old 20mm oyster band, but try a leather band as well.

Here are two photos of mine with the oyster band and the leather band I am using currently.
It's a nice watch! I actually have one too from my late grandfather. I think the band size is actually 19mm since the case size is 34mm only. The band that came with mine is those riveted ones.

P-Club Member # 7

Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.
dnagwhogas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 April 2011, 03:09 AM   #13
Poohsan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrail View Post
Tell me about it - took turning the crown through a whole TV show to set my 1675 when I got it :)
Sometimes I just don’t feel like investing the time to set my 1680 so I wait till a month passes to wear it again. That way the real date catches up to were my date wheel is.

Old 22 April 2011, 04:17 AM   #14
conrail
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sometimes I just don’t feel like investing the time to set my 1680 so I wait till a month passes to wear it again. That way the real date catches up to were my date wheel is.

Haha awesome! Yea I literally had to switch hands b/c my fingers were getting a bit raw. If I wasn't such a perfectionist I would have just left it and waited for it to be right at some point :)
Old 22 April 2011, 06:25 AM   #15
LI Matt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphotos View Post
Also, I haven't seen any replicas of this watch. There may be, but since it is a fairly inexpensive watch (as far as Rolex's go) it doesn't pay counterfeiters as well as a modern auto watch, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

If you google "Oysterdate", you'll find several places that offer fakes. They're automatics, with hacking and quickset

"We're going to hell anyway, let's travel first class" -- Kaiser Chiefs

LI Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2011, 09:30 AM   #16
nichols
"TRF" Member

Excuse the resurrection, but I did have one additional question:

I've put a black leather strap on it, and I wear the watch pretty often now. I'm still looking to pick up a genuine oyster band for it. I've been watching eBay and they seem to go in the $350 range or so. While I don't necessarily mind the price, I can never be sure about the authenticity.

Can anyone recommend a dealer that may have an oyster band?
Old 11 June 2011, 09:50 AM   #17
Michael M.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichols View Post
Excuse the resurrection, but I did have one additional question:

I've put a black leather strap on it, and I wear the watch pretty often now. I'm still looking to pick up a genuine oyster band for it. I've been watching eBay and they seem to go in the $350 range or so. While I don't necessarily mind the price, I can never be sure about the authenticity.

Can anyone recommend a dealer that may have an oyster band?
Try Steve Mulholland.
Michael M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2011, 11:28 AM   #18
Paul
"TRF" Member

Nice watches 6694's ..........

... and I'm thinking the original bracelet would have been 7835 / 357.

Bracelets run at about $300. Bide your time you should be able to pick up one with the correct date code on the clasp.

Always a nice touch IMO
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2012, 02:24 PM   #19
nichols
"TRF" Member

A little more than a year later, so I apologize for the thread bump.

I ended up buying a bracelet in the correct date range for the watch from Steve Mulholland. Thanks for the suggestions. Since it's an original bracelet, it does have a bit of stretch to it, and I'd like to get that repaired. I'd hate to have one of the links' pins break because of the slop.

I've done some searching around bracelet repair, and it seems a few of you have sent them overseas to Michael Young. I'm not sure if he's taking on new clients, and not sure I want to send something that far away.

Are there any other trusted sources I can contact about bracelet repair? I can post pictures if it'd help to see the bracelet.

Thank you for all of the assistance!
Old 24 June 2017, 10:26 AM   #20
nichols
"TRF" Member

Well, it's only taken about five years, but I sent the bracelet out to Michael Young back in early May, and I got the newly-restored bracelet back in the mail this morning.

I have to say - I can't be happier with the results. I put it on the case today, and after a quick clasp adjustment, it fits like I've been wearing it for years. I'm on the fence about putting a new crystal on, since all of those scratches give it some memorable character, but it's a sharp piece either way.

A huge, huge thank you to all of you who posted here and offered suggestions. This will be worn and treasured for many, many years to come.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2740.JPG (94.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 24 June 2017, 02:20 PM   #21
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Looks good..

A 6694 is a classic.
Old 25 June 2017, 01:03 AM   #22
Aceldama
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dads Omega Cal 601
I have to buck up and send my bracelet in to MY...
Aceldama is offline   Reply With Quote