The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 14 September 2011, 04:08 AM   #1
TroyNVie
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
First Rolex Submariner Purchase - Input & Advice Wanted

I'm new here and am interested in making my first (pre-owned) Rolex Submariner purchase. My budget is around $3,500, which I know is on the very low end.

I have been watching the classified section on a some of the watch forums for a couple of months and have noticed some Submariner "No Date" models (e.g., 14060) as well as the occasional Submariner 16800 sell for prices near my budget.

I am sure there are considerable differences between each of the aforementioned watches, besides just the presence of a date. I realize that the Submariner 16800 dates back to roughly my birth year (1985), which is interesting, but may present issues with respect to age? The no date, on the other hand, is often newer and sold as a "complete" package (i.e., boxes and papers).

Will this be my end all, be all Rolex? No. Some day I hope to own a "Sub-C" or perhaps a Deep Sea Sea Dweller. That being said, both those models are going to be out for reach for a few years, and I'd prefer to trade up in the future, rather than simply waiting...

Things that I am concerned with are:
(1) Resale value (or how well it will hold its value)
(2) Reliability
(3) Credibility (do not want risk ending up with a "fake")

I would love to hear any suggestions/advice other forum members have, including pros and cons of specific models (of both mentioned above, and any others that I should consider), the incremental "value" associated with a complete package (i.e., boxes and paperwork), as well as any additional factors that I should consider.

Any input is much appreciated!
TroyNVie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 04:13 AM   #2
f16570
"TRF" Member

Watch: Exp II White Face
Hi, And welcome along. Would not be greatly worried about resale value as they are pretty good at holding this.
Get it serviced prior to collection and all should be well, its ran since 85 so got plenty more life in it.
Not sure of the provenance as a local Authorised Dealer if he would check the authenticity prior to purchase.

Cheers
Old 14 September 2011, 04:32 AM   #3
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Buy the seller, ensure you get what you paid for.

Pre-owned typically means you very often will need toget it serviced. Don't forget to budget for this as well.

Typically SS Subs tend to retain their value real well, and since you are buying pre-owned history tells us you should do pretty good.

Rolex watches are built to last for a very long time, get one in good condition and you shouldn't have to worry.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 04:37 AM   #4
TroyNVie
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Buy the seller, ensure you get what you paid for.

Pre-owned typically means you very often will need toget it serviced. Don't forget to budget for this as well.

Typically SS Subs tend to retain their value real well, and since you are buying pre-owned history tells us you should do pretty good.

Rolex watches are built to last for a very long time, get one in good condition and you shouldn't have to worry.
Thanks for the input. How much does a service typically cost?
Old 14 September 2011, 04:44 AM   #5
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyNVie View Post
Thanks for the input. How much does a service typically cost?
Depends where you take it.

I have yet to have any of mine serviced thru RSC. But I believe the average service is about $600 to $700.

If you take it to an independant you can save a bit of money, but make sure you take it to someone with a Rolex parts acccount and you may save $100 to $200. A local AD would be a good place to start. You could even call one and find out how much they charge.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 04:49 AM   #6
TroyNVie
"TRF" Member

I'm not sure if this follows forum practices (linking to a current sale thread), but does this seem like a good option?

It has apparently been serviced recently (including a new bezel insert and crystal) and appears to be less expensive than those available on eBay (as a quick reference).

How much of an effect on the value of the watch does the replacement of the bezel insert and crystal, and lack of box and papers have?
I realize it must not be an excellent deal since it's been posted for sale various times here since July -- I've seen how fast other watches can move ;)

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=194002
Old 14 September 2011, 09:44 AM   #7
mrbill2mrbill2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
For a 26 year old watch it looks good. But, the lugs have been over polished - rounded off at the ends.

Still for the age it looks good.

Surprised little or no patina? Anyone else?

Old 14 September 2011, 10:03 AM   #8
RolexWatcher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyNVie View Post

Things that I am concerned with are:
(1) Resale value (or how well it will hold its value)
(2) Reliability
(3) Credibility (do not want risk ending up with a "fake")
Resale value: the two you mention should hold up in value pretty well.
Reliability: Both reliable although the older the watch, the higher chance of needing a service
Credibility: due diligence on the seller. A good seller will have these good features (1) product is real (2) flawless delivery and (3) good at dealing with problems that may arise.

See which watch you like. I would go for 14060 myself coz its a little newer but some guys here like vintage stuff! :)

All the best!
RolexWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 September 2011, 10:08 AM   #9
aelian

Save your pennies and buy a fresh Sub ND.

You may have to wait a spell but you'll feel comfortable knowing your watch is tip-top. It will be rugged, handsome, and (knock on wood) on your wrist functioning well for many, many years to come.

With $3500 your close to being an original owner.

Last edited by aelian; 14 September 2011 at 10:09 AM.. Reason: a little birdie told me
aelian is offline   Reply With Quote