The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 1 April 2013, 03:39 AM   #1
Ziminskas
"TRF" Member

Help Diagnosing Problem with Oyster Perpetual

Hi Everyone,
I purchased a 1962 Oyster Perpetual back in December and it has recently stopped working correctly. I'm not sure if I'm just not setting it correctly, or if there is actually something wrong with it.

I haven't worn it in about a month, so I knew that when I put it on today that it would need to "shake it" in order to get movement. I rotated it in a counter-clockwise motion for a little bit, until I saw the second hand moving and then set the time to 9:07. After a while, I checked it, and noticed that it had stopped at 9:45. I tried rotating in a counter-clockwise motion, it would tick for a little bit, and then stop. I then tried the reverse, and got the same result. After some searching online, I saw how to manually wind it by pulling out the crown and rotating a full 360 degrees, about 30-40 times. I did that, and there was no result.

Now, it isn't moving, but if I rotate it (vigorously) then it will tick for anywhere from 5-50 seconds, and then will stop. Sometimes when I move it, it wont tick at all. Is there something wrong mechanically, or am I just not doing something correctly.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

-Ryan
Ziminskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2013, 03:44 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
If you wound it and it still only ticks for a few seconds after shaking it, it is likely a broken mainspring...
Old 7 April 2013, 06:20 AM   #3
Ziminskas
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the info.

Does anyone on here have any experience with someone who could look at it in the Austin area? I believe there is a quite reputable RSC in Dallas, but if trusted work could be done on it locally, that would be preferable.

Thanks again,

-Ryan
Old 7 April 2013, 07:36 AM   #4
jatco
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116233/79190
.. Getting back to what Tools has suggested.. Have you wound the watch completely/fully, ie, 35-40ish turns of your thumb/index finger... to 'load' the mainspring..? - Then wear it for a while, to see what's happening...
If you did..and it's still not running 'normally', that is.. keeping time, then there's something else amiss..as suggested by 'Tools'....!!
Hopefully, its just out of 'power' reserve ..! - If it is running...but either slow or too fast, then adjustmensts can be done to bring it up to spec... (just my $.02 worth....).!

' A Crown for every achievement '
jatco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 12:16 PM   #5
77T

Ryan
The watch definitely needs work - and since it's a 50 y.o. watch you need someone who has experience and an extensive vintage parts inventory. I recommend Bob Ridley who is just a 3 hr. drive on I-35 to Arlington. watchmakers.com

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2013, 12:46 PM   #6
jatco

/\ - that would be my route, under the circumstances....( and being so close to Mr Ridley..) - Certainly worth the drive, IMO...!!

Old 8 April 2013, 04:54 AM   #7
Ziminskas
"TRF" Member

Thank you guys so much for all the information.

Today, after not touching my watch since last Sunday, I attempted winding it again. I wound it 40 times between my index finger and thumb (I'm not sure if this is normal, but after about every three to five turns, I would hear a "click" sound) and wore it out to breakfast. After I got back home, it was still not moving at all.

I looked at Mr. Ridley's website and he seems great. Again, thank you very much for pointing me in his direction.

-Ryan
Old 8 April 2013, 11:15 AM   #8
jatco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziminskas View Post
Thank you guys so much for all the information.

Today, after not touching my watch since last Sunday, I attempted winding it again. I wound it 40 times between my index finger and thumb (I'm not sure if this is normal, but after about every three to five turns, I would hear a "click" sound) and wore it out to breakfast. After I got back home, it was still not moving at all.

I looked at Mr. Ridley's website and he seems great. Again, thank you very much for pointing me in his direction.

-Ryan
I'm sure Mr. Ridley will fix you up just fine...as it appears, you have some issues with your piece....
Good luck..and keep us posted...

Old 8 April 2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Jackxv
"TRF" Member

Any real watchmaker can service a 1030/1560 , easily.

Jack
Old 14 January 2016, 05:51 PM   #10
Ziminskas
"TRF" Member

Not to revive an old thread, but I figured I'd give y'all an update. I ended up calling Mr. Ridley, but never got around to sending my watch to him. I mostly kept my Oyster in a drawer, but would pull it out on occasions, and wear it around the house to see if anything happened. Well low and behold, one day it started working again...been perfect ever since.
Old 15 January 2016, 02:06 AM   #11
R.W.T.
"TRF" Member

Hi, I sent you a message. Your watch probably needed servicing 3 years ago and certainly if it needed it then after sitting 3 years it does now. Service intervals are 5-6 years.

The one thing I will say is, you can't just shake the watch and wear it. You must fully wind it manually before starting the wearing process. The autowind was never meant on this watch to wind the watch from scratch, it was meant to keep it wound indefinitely with normal wear.

After reading through the thread it seemed that you did this. You won't feel a "click" with a 1570 unless the mainspring is broken or there is missing teeth in the crown wheel.

If your watch is stiff to wind manually, don't. You will break the crown wheel teeth.

If it is not staying wound after you wind it the reversers are likely gummed up with stale lubricant and it needs to be cleaned.

Just because it is running doesn't mean it's alright even if it is keeping time.

If you start an old car found in a barn, it may run but if the oil is dirty or there is sludge in the fuel system....with no knowledge of the condition of these things damage is imminent.

The Rolex 15xx series movement is very robust. It can go long periods without maintenance and long past a normal service interval but it's not recommended.

R.W.T.
R.W.T. is offline   Reply With Quote